• Keeping the EFI partition?

Keeping the EFI partition?

I just bought a new Lenovo laptop with -of course- W10, as it happens in Chinese. It has two disks, the first one, a 128G SSD is all squatted by W10 MS reserved partition.

I want to get totally get rid of W10 (forever, no come back later) and install Antergos. I have time to prepare for it carefully.

1. Does it make sense to keep the current EFI fat32 partition (260M) , if yes, should I increase it to 512M?

2. Should I still install in UEFI mode (GPT table) or in Legacy support?

Thanks for your advice

Roger

• @roger64

1. Don’t know whether your laptop supports legacy boot, so I’d keep the EFI partition, you’ll need one probably anyway. UEFI is newer technology and will be supported longer.
      260MB should be more than enough, but how much space is used already? You can find it out e.g. with gparted.
    2. GPT table is newer and better than MSDOS table. So I recommend UEFI install.

Could you please show the output of:

lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT

• @manuel said in Keeping the EFI partition?:

¿Podría mostrar la salida de:
    lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,LABEL,UUID,MOUNTPOINT

@manuel
    you can also use lsblk -f and it’s enough so that the syntax is not so long, I think, just that ;)

• @judd
    Well, that does not show the size of the partitions…

• @judd
    Why two commands instead of one? ;)

• @manuel

We are going away from the subject, but in reality, the last one that I put, can be used and yours, because also :)

• Well I observe it through the telescope of gparted live
    Forgive me…

Samsung SSD

-nvme1p1 (system_DRV) fat32 260M (32M used) boot efi
    -nvme1p2 microsoft reserved partition ? 16M
    -nvme1p3 WIN10 60G (32G used) NTFS
    -nvme1p4 Data LENOVO 58G (2.2G used) NTFS
    -nvme1p5 WinRE_DRV 1000M (487M used) NTFS

Total 119.24G (sold 128)

GPT table.

• @roger64
    So just keep the 260M efi partition when installing Antergos.
    Just remove other partitions and put Antergos partitions there as you like them to be.
    And remember to mount the efi partition to /boot/efi during Antergos install.
    Afterwards you have no Windows anymore.

EDIT: make a backup first it you have something important on Windows partitions.

• Thanks for the infos.

I already did a Clonezilla save of these five partitions above. As soon as Antergos will be up and running, I will discard it.

Should I stay in UEFI or in legacy mode -with GPT table anyway-?

• @manuel Although it should not be a problem, sometimes installation in uefi mode can bring more harm than good, especially in lenovo laptops. As was with my two and I had to save the command 0_1509457479245_Zrzut ekranu z 2017-10-31 14-34-34.pngfrom another system on the CD. I’m not sure if this combination of uefi mode + secure boot is 100% sure. All the more that you are going to have only antergos. Maybe someone on this forum will calm me down. In the bios you should have legacy mode anyway and of course set the disk array on GPT.
    With the rest of the installation you can handle: -j

• @Simon
    Actually when @roger64 did a backup of everything, it should be safe for him to try any arrangement he wishes. Either UEFI or legacy. And while GPT is newer technology, it supports newer features like e.g. bigger disks (but that is not an issue with current SSD sizes).

Some UEFI machines really do have a problem with booting anything other than Windows (provided they have Windows pre-installed), but that probably is because the laptop company did it on purpose. Recently, I saw how a HP machine didn’t want to boot anything else than Windows, but it could be worked around.

@roger64 You probably want to try Antergos first that it supports all your hardware features before install. You can do so in the USB installer easily in the beginning right after boot.

• @roger64

Just wanted to remind you that if you sometimes later want to upgrade your firmware or similar, you might consider keeping Windows, since often those upgrade tools work in Windows only.

• @manuel

Of course, the answer I addressed to @ roger64. Sorry for the mistake, but by the way, I do not understand why he would do a backup, since he wrote: “I want to get totally get rid of W10”.
    In addition, I did not write to not install the system on the GPT disk, on the contrary. Besides, as we know, GPT mode and Legacy mode is not exclusive.

• @Simon
    No worries mate, although I admit that I thought you answered to me. :)

Actually the backup may come in handy for the firmware upgrade reasons, if Lenovo does not support some kind of firmware upgrade independent of the operating system.

• @roger64

The installer will guide you by the hand. Create partition / boot / efi (fat32) [If in cnchi chooses grub as bootloader. If you choose systemdboot, then create / boot].
    next:
    / root (ext4)
    / var (ext4) [optional - you do not have to do this …]
    / home (ext4) [you can allocate the rest of the space]
    / swap [if you want to use hibernate, then allocate 2/5 of the available ram memory, or create a swap file].

Here you have the following:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/partitioning#GUID_Partition_Table

Regards

• Thank you for your help and comments.

The disk has been partitioned (keeping the original efi partition). Install of Antergos will take place tomorrow. Crossing the fingers.

I tried the live Antergos on my computer and the wifi driver is not recognized (the same happens for other Linux systems). So I shall install it using Ethernet. This is not so inconvenient that it looks -for me-, because I use my computer from a stable place and moves it only every few months.

But of course, once it’s working, I’ll look for this driver and hope it will soon be available.

FYI this is a Lenovo R720-151KBN. Usually I bought Toshiba and never had this kind of surprise, but the brand is gone, at least for laptops.

Next info as soon as Antergos boots.

Regards

Roger

• Report: OK and solved: antergos start-up with a happy face and Roger thanks you all for giving him confidence. :clap:

The only small glitch (if there is none, it means you are not alive): at the end of the installer, when I clicked restart, it freezed and I had to shut it down forcibly. The same now, no clean reboot or shutdown. I shall discuss this on a new thread.

Solved

• and here finally is the partition report I had been asked for.

[[email protected] ~]$ lsblk -l
    NAME      MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda         8:0    0 931,5G  0 disk 
    sda1        8:1    0  58,6G  0 part 
    sda2        8:2    0   586G  0 part 
    sda3        8:3    0   287G  0 part 
    sdb         8:16   0 931,5G  0 disk 
    sdb1        8:17   0  15,5G  0 part /run/media/roger/MULTISYSTEM
    sdb2        8:18   0 472,7G  0 part /run/media/roger/win
    sdb3        8:19   0 443,4G  0 part /run/media/roger/linux
    nvme0n1   259:0    0 119,2G  0 disk 
    nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   260M  0 part /boot/efi
    nvme0n1p2 259:2    0   5,9G  0 part [SWAP]
    nvme0n1p3 259:3    0  27,4G  0 part /home
    nvme0n1p4 259:4    0  27,4G  0 part /
    nvme0n1p5 259:5    0  58,5G  0 part 
    [[email protected] ~]$ 

where nv is the SSD part, run is the external USB disk and sda is the second hard disk of lenovo.

Cheers

• @roger64
    Congratulations!
    Now you have installed the best Linux distro there is! :)

efi7 partition21 keeping2 Posts 20Views 289