• Dual boot with two drives

Hello, I recently got myself a second SSD and am wanting to install Antergos on one drive, and keep my current windows on the other.
    Is the process as simple as install antergos onto one drive, and then set that as the primary boot option. Then by default grub will allow me to select an OS? Or is there something else I need to do to configure grub correctly so it can handle this.
    Should I disconnect the windows SSD when doing this? Or leave it.

• @Fenwick17

Do you have a UEFI boot or legacy boot?
    And you machine is?

• @manuel It is a custom built PC, running Windows 10, havent changed boot settings from default so I would assume that is UEFI.
    I believe I need to disconnect the windows SSD, install antergos to the new drive and set it as “device for boot loader installtion”. Boot it up to confirm it stable, reconnect windows SSD and reboot then run sudo update-grub.
    I think this is the correct step? But I am new to dual booting so want to make sure both drives are fully accessible.

• do not use sudo update grub! this is from ubuntu…

we do this by:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It is the savest way to remove the windows ssd > install antergos > replace the ssd > start antergos > mount all partitions (inside filebrowser) and run:

to automatic add the windows OS to the bootlist on the antergos ssd…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @Fenwick17
    In a UEFI system, the Windows disk has the ESP partition (that you would mount to /boot/efi during Antergos install). So it is somewhat easier to have the Windows disk there when you install Antergos to the other disk.

But if you want extra safety and temporarily remove the Windows disk before Antergos install, that is possible, too. Just

• shutdown
    • remove the Windows disk
    • attach the new empty disk
    • boot Antergos installer USB
    • install Antergos (I recommend Xfce for its stability :))
    • shutdown
    • reattach the Windows disk (now you have two disks)
    • boot to Antergos (hopefully your machine allows to choose what to boot)
    • run command

• reboot and enjoy!
  • @joekamprad Thank you, I have dual booted Ubuntu before so that will be why I thought that command would work.
    After I run sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg I assume it will inform me that it has updated the grub config, and next time I reboot I will have both Antergos and Windows options?

• @Fenwick17
    So it should be.

• Made some good progress.
    Got into Antergos and ran the command, which correctly detected Windows. So rebooted, checked antergos which still boots up great. Went back to try windows but as soon as I click enter on Windows 10 it just hangs and stays on that select screen but frozen.

• Rebooted it again and it is all good this time. Both OS boot up quickly.

Posts 9Views 89