• Stuck at blank screen with blinking cursor after Nvidia update

Sorry guys, I’m really a linux noob, and unfortunately I’m on my own dealing with this as my husband is offshore.

All I know is, there were recently a lot of updates with nvidia, which I installed. After that, my MultiMC kept crashing when I tried to launch it, so I thought I’d restart cause I wasn’t sure what the problem was. Well, now I cannot boot into Antergos at all, and it just gives me the blank screen with the blinking line.

I’m able to ctrl+alt+F2, and when I login to terminal and type startx, it tells me “fatal server error: cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices.”

I’m sorry this is kind of vague – I really don’t know what happened to cause this, and if the solution is complicated, I’ll probably have to just wait and let the expert do it. I’m hoping you guys know what to do, though.

• Okay so, when I run startx, it gives me the error I stated before, “cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices”. Then a bit further down, it says

Xinit: giving up
    Xinit: unable to connect to X server: connection refused
    Xinit: server error

• Had the same issue. was due to the nvidia module failing to load. Bad format was the error.

Had to

rm -f /usr/lib/modules/extramodules-4.13-ARCH/nvidia.ko.gz

Then did

pacman -Syy nvidia nvidia-utils nvidia-libgl

then reboot.

HTH.

• Yep, that fixed it :)

I just want to know how you figure out where the issue is coming from. I would be completely lost without you guys, lol.

• @Hallowvale said in Stuck at blank screen with blinking cursor after Nvidia update:

Yep, that fixed it :)

I just want to know how you figure out where the issue is coming from. I would be completely lost without you guys, lol.

In this particular instance first thing is to check that the module is loaded

lsmod | grep nvidia

Check xorg.log for errors too

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Also journal

journalctl -b

press end to get to the last messages. Press PG up/down to scroll through the output

that’s the basics anyway. As with any problem you come across, be it program or driver checking the system logs(journalctl -b) is generally the first port of call.

HTH.

• @pete910

I had the same thing and your answer solved it. Thanks You

Posts 6Views 266