I don’t know if this is the right place to put this or not if it isn’t I apologize. I also apologize if this has been asked before.

I recently became a full-time Linux user, and I’m loving it. I haven’t really had a hard time with software like I thought I would. Even the Adobe apps I use have great alternatives like Kdenlive and Audacity. However, one I have failed to replace is iTunes.

I hate iTunes, everyone does, but I really do like having one app where my Music, TV Shows and Movies are stored for easy browsing and playback. I haven’t found anything like that on Linux. There are a lot of music managers out there, and most of the main ones are really good, but that leaves my Movies and TV Shows out in the cold and only accessible through Dolphin or whatever file manager I’m using at the time.

I loved Plex on Windows but it doesn’t work as well on Linux. It won’t stream outside of the network at all without messing with my router, which I am not willing to do, and since my media is stored on an external hard drive, I have to either allow permissions deep into the root folder where it is mounted, or I have to change the mount point and allow permissions into my /home folder in order for Plex to see the media at all. It is a real pain, and I want an alternative.

So here’s my question: Is there a media manager that isn’t Plex (or Kodi as I tried that and it kinda sucks, it seems to only have a remote control interface), that will manage Music, Movies, and TV Shows? I’ve searched for “iTunes alternatives for Linux” and most of what I get is music managers like Banshee, Amarok and Rythmbox.

Any help would be awesome.