• Linux for development

@mVoinescu said in Linux for development:

Hi all, thank you for the answer. After some issues with Windows and due to their lackluster support line on chat I have actually decided to wipe Windows from the laptop and put Antergost as my only OS.

I was mostly using it for gaming and to stream my Xbox when TV is in use, but with this issue from today it will give me more incentive to learn what I want as I will take away some stuff that might be blocking me from learning.

As for software that I use it’s IntelliJ and Webstorm mostly and for that I saw that AUR is just amazing. Tomorrow morning I’ll make the installation and slowly becoming a linux guy ^^

This is my first post here, so hi everyone and thanks for such a great distro and community!
    Three years ago I installed Mint to start an ‘experiment’ with Linux. Six months later I wiped-out Windows from my desktop and stopped my Adobe subscription. 18 months ago I started an ‘experiment’ with Antergos (with Plasma as DE), a bit scary because of rolling distro ‘legend’ and my still quite newbie-like knowledge. Since then - I am using my system for work as photographer, filmmaker and visual artist. I was ‘forced’ to learn new tools and software, quite different from Adobe suite that I used before for years, but it was both an intellectually refreshing challenge and fun. I am using Kdenlive and Lightworks Pro (only piece of commercial software in my collection) for video editing, Natron as composer, Audiacity for sound editing, GIMP, Blender, Krita and Inkscape for graphic, both bitmap and vector, Scribus and Libre Office for document creations (and some project budget control as well)… Such a great collection of pro-grade software with endless possibilities to express my creativity! Becoming a ‘Linux guy’ was definitely a good decision in my case… Now also my wife and children switched to Linux, as well as my mother in law - she learn everything she need for everyday computing with Linux at age of 75 :-)
    I have no skills as developer, but I try to support FOSS ideas as much as I can - some of my works became an official Ubuntu wallpapers and so on, I also do some donations from time to time to different projects. Is hard to believe how much I got in return…

• Wow! What an amazing story @Apas😀. I am curious though, does your whole family use Antergos? And what about your mother in law? I could really see how something more stable like Ubuntu would sound more inviting to them…

Please do not take this the wrong way here. I really am just curious and interested to learn more.

Thank you!

• @Keegan
    Hi, you right - I am only person who use Antergos. My wife using Mint with Plasma and kids and my wife’s mother system of choice is Ubuntu with Unity. They can just press ‘install’ when recommended updates are available and don’t worry about details, that’s why. And they also can work without any serious interaction with Terminal (if something have to be done this way - like printer installation - I am in action). But children became more and more curious about all this Terminal-centric ‘magic’ which is great.
    I was happy with Mint as well, but as media guy I figured out that rolling release is better because sooner or later this is only way to keep all important software really up-to-date. Most of my tools are in constant development, of course, and without all system components being ‘fresh’ in some point you are stuck with no way to install latest version of NLE or compositor, or after installation it became unstable, because some libraries depend on other libraries which depend on some not very fresh ones - as you probably know. In Antergos so far I never had this sort of problems.
    As I said I was little bit in panic because I was informed in many occasion that rolling-release (and Arch based particularly) are for hard-core users, but so far I can’t confirm this legend. I am definitely not an expert and these few really small issues I had so far were easy to fix with my limited knowledge.

• Interesting… I know used Mint also when I first started my journey into the world of Linux😀.

As I said I was little bit in panic because I was informed in many occasion that rolling-release (and Arch based particularly) are for hard-core users, but so far I can’t confirm this legend.

Same here! I have heard terrible things about it’s instability, but for the most part, it has seemed pretty reliable to me. Granted, I have broken my system about 3 times in the last 6 months, but those were all 100% my fault, when I got too curious and started playing with fire. As a nonrmal user however, I have never experienced any situation where it just breaks for some random reason. And with that…

Welcome to Antergos😀.

• @Keegan said in Linux for development:

Welcome to Antergos😀.

Thanks! I think I found my OS for years…
    I was always kind of FOSS enthusiast (from ‘ideological’ point of view) even if I worked on mainstream systems - 'cos I was educated in College of Art and Design and in real life that this is only way, all important production software is there, industry standard is there, and not in Linux ecosystem (BTW there is some interesting question - why?).
    I often tried to discuss the possibility of using Linux and FOSS, but it was sort of theoretical exchange of opinion without hard proofs, because always somebody said: ok, GIMP (Krita, Kdenlive etc) is great, BUT…
    So, I started an experiment on my own workflow to answer the question what the BUT is about?
    Now I can show to my opponents in my industry: look, it IS possible, because I earn my money for last three years working exclusively on Linux and FOSS software (except Lightworks, but it is not my main tool actually). I did my exhibitions, I did my commercial projects, I delivered product to customers and they were happy with quality as always, and they paid me money, end of story.
    Of course, some rapid development of FOSS software and GNU/Linux itself helps, we now can use really stable and reliable programs that were not very stable few years ago, but hey! - some mainstream programs were piece of junk in past as well! Nothing was perfect from first version and I remember when I spent money for upgrade of some mainstream tool to new version only to find that there is so many bugs and problems fixed mainly with next (not free… ) upgrade…
    People from Ubuntu and Mint (and quite a few other teams) doing great job delivering easy to use and stable like rock distibutions for everyone, who need to learn basics. But Antergos is just great way to use more PRO-grade OS if that is necessary, like in my case. My choice is not a result of ‘distro hopping’ but rational decision based on my needs and pro/cons consideration. So far I am very happy with it…

• @Apas said in Linux for development:

I often tried to discuss the possibility of using Linux and FOSS, but it was sort of theoretical exchange of opinion without hard proofs, because always somebody said: ok, GIMP (Krita, Kdenlive etc) is great, BUT…

Well, it sounds like you have had better luck than I have even😄. Whenever I bring up the term “Linux” everyone looks at me strangely and immediately marks me off as “one of those guys”. And then there’s the whole privacy thing. I once told a friend about Google’s privacy issues, the new Firefox Quantum, and Net Neutrality, and the first thing they said was “Firefox stinks. It’s so slow… just get over it and use Google!” followed by the opinion that if net neutrality was real, they would have heard all about it on the news already.

It’s nice to hear of a successful story like yours😀. Hopefully people will eventually make the change, although I don’t know how much hope I hold out for that. I personally feel that for the vast majority, they are just content using Windows as Macs and Apple products in general are just getting more and more outrageous in price. As for Windows however, it is surely following suit, what with their Window as a service policy and a hefty subscription for Word. In the end, it is my hope that Apple and Windows will outcompete themselves, although I certainly would never bank on that.

But now that I’ve dumped my thoughts on you @Apas, I am certainly curious to hear yours!

Thanks
    -Keegan

• To be honest I kinda hope Linux while it gets more people will not become very big. I mean i like not having so much viruses and getting my privacy back.

Sadly at work we need Windows but at home I have the freedom to use whatever I want, even if I still need Windows for a few games. While Wine is good it still has it’s hiccups.

It is true that it has a learning curve to get used to Linux, or rather to forget stupid workarounds you where forced to use when on Windows, but I’m loving my time with Linux.

• @mVoinescu said in Linux for development:

To be honest I kinda hope Linux while it gets more people will not become very big. I mean i like not having so much viruses and getting my privacy back.

I’m actually with you on that one! I could use more recognition of Linux as a whole so that more software would be made for it, but I also feel that if it became the next big thing, corruption would inevitably take place…

• @Keegan
    Well, my story IS somehow successful, because I am trying to focus on bright side, but I was confronted with all these problems and stupid stereotypes as well, believe me…
    One funny example. Last school year my daughter, who is in secondary school, after being sent as school representative to Portugal for some science camp, was asked by her teacher to do a project in connection with the trip and presentation to shows the outcomes for the class. She did it in Libre Impress. Teacher who was the supervisor of the project spot her working on her laptop during free class, and having nothing to say about presentation, just ask my girl to re-do it in ‘proper’ software, which means MS PowerPoint. When she told me that, I ask her to ask teacher if there was any problem with her previous presentations, essays and so on, which always was done in Libre (and just delivered as print, PDF or saved in ‘proper’ file format)… And this is the best part - she asked him and also give some explanation about Linux, and FOSS (what it is… He had no idea…), and our family ‘policy’ to use it…Smart girl :-) Unfortunately, well educated man catch only one word - ‘free’ (in meaning of cost, I presume, not freedom…), so his conclusion was, that we cannot afford MS Office… He approached my daughter after class and politely offered her… a loan for MS Office :-).
    So, next day I visited him and asked for just one reason that my child should use MS Office on the top of MS Windows. I told him - if you give mi one real reason, I’ll buy ‘proper’ laptop with ‘proper’ software immediately and using my very own money…
    Well, I didn’t went for shopping to PC World that day… :-D
    Another story, quite fresh. One of my client sent me an e-mail concluded with: can you do it for me in AfterEffect?
    My answer was: no, I cannot do this for you in AfterEffect…
    He: Oh, sorry… (he believed that I lost my AE somehow and probably because of that I am suicidal or heavy drinking already…).
    Me: If the job MUST be done in AfterEffect for some reason, then find somebody else. But if you want job just to be done, yes, I’ll take it. I just not using Adobe product…
    He: How you can do it then?!
    Me: (tired with explanations) - Magic…
    (Well, he is long-term client and I can do that type of conversation with him… And, of course, everything I did for him last 2,5 year was done with Linux and FOSS, including some TV adds).
    Want more? I can keep writing for a hour or so :-D

• @mVoinescu said in Linux for development:

To be honest I kinda hope Linux while it gets more people will not become very big. I mean i like not having so much viruses and getting my privacy back.

Sadly at work we need Windows but at home I have the freedom to use whatever I want, even if I still need Windows for a few games. While Wine is good it still has it’s hiccups.

It is true that it has a learning curve to get used to Linux, or rather to forget stupid workarounds you where forced to use when on Windows, but I’m loving my time with Linux.

Well, Linux IS already big in servers and there is not so many attacks. Important factor here - in my humbly opinion, which may be wrong - is that Linux is OPEN, thus code is well controlled. If I can find some vulnerability in Windows, as long as I keep my discovery in secret, I can produce fake close-source software to use the weak point. In Open Source world, however, in theory everyone can check what every single line of my code can do with every single code of OS…
    Beside - how big is Apple desktop system? 5 - 6 percent of market share? Linux can be similar. And should be! Okay, if you want to play newest games, or have no choice but use some MS or Adobe products (because of specific workflow etc) - no choice then. But how many people you know who using computer for just day-to-day things, like some document writing, e-mail, web browsing, YT or other multimedia? They can switch for Mint or Ubuntu just now, save money, increase their computers speed without all this bloat in Windows and enjoy free, modern, safe and effective operating system and software. Many small enterprises, shops, offices, schools and home users have no real reason to use mainstream, really… But they still do…
    BTW - in country when I am living one cannot buy laptop (or desktop) without OS pre-installed, and Linux is not on the menu…

Me: (tired with explanations) - Magic…

hehehe… Thanks for showing me a new explanation! That one might get used a lot around here…

Want more? I can keep writing for a hour or so

I think I get the picture… And I apologize if I drew you into a despondent discussion, that was not my intent. Thank you for sharing all of that though, it’s always a pleasure to find out about others’ experiences with Linux also!

BTW - in country when I am living one cannot buy laptop (or desktop) without OS pre-installed, and Linux is not on the menu…

Same here, at least in the US where I live.

development7 Posts 33Views 2608
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.