• Antergos USB issues

I’ve already installed antergos on my private laptop and work laptop without any issues, and both times it was dual-boot with windows 10. Now I’m trying to install it on my main PC the same way however I’m running into issues. The main difference between the laptops are the CPU. The laptops both have an Intel CPU with integrated Intel HD graphics while this is the PC hardware I’m having issues installing this on:
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    MoBo: Asus Prime B350 Plus
    RAM: 16GB DDR4
    SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 480GB
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1TB

I’ve downloaded the NVIDIA community variant as I own a GPU which is not supported by nouveau yet, but I have tried with the official version as well. Bootable USB was created via Rufus as it is one of the suggested applications and I’ve successfully used it for the two previous installations.

Here is what I’ve tried so far and what happened:

1. Booting to USB with NVIDIA variant (17.09-2) in UEFI mode and choosing NVIDIA Antergos (NVIDIA LIVE SYSTEM) I get the antergos loading screen appearing to load infinitely. If I press F1 I see the following:
    starting version 234
    ERROR: '/dev/disk/by-label/ANTERGOS-NVIDIA' device did not show up after 30 seconds...

And a rootfs prompt
    If i search the /dev/disk/by-label/ I can see an ANTERGOS-NV which points to (symlink?) /dev/sdc2

1. Choosing any other option (Antergos Live, Antergos Live (NVIDIA fallback), Antergos Live (usb)) I receive the same message.
    2. Created a new bootable USB with the same Antergos NVIDIA image, only this time set the label to ANTERGOS. I receive the same message and in /dev/disk/by-label/ I now see a ANTERGOS entry instead. It seems that whatever is reading the USB label truncates it to 11 characters and that this particular image explicitly looks for a USB labeled ANTERGOS-NVIDIA.
    3. Re-created a bootable USB with Antergos NVIDIA, only this time used DD mode in rufus instead of ISO. I manage to boot into the antergos GUI installer, however in disk formatting/mounting section there are only /dev/sda and /dev/sdb partitions shown. Using fdisk -l in terminal I can see that the EFI fat32 partition is in /dev/sdc1. I haven’t yet tried to manually mkdir /boot/efi & mount /dev/sdc1 /boot/efi as I’m not sure if it might negatively affect the antergos installer.
    4. Created a bootable USB with the official antergos image (17.10), booted in UEFI mode, selected Antergos Live. I get a messed up screen due to nouveau drivers
    5. Restarted and booted the same bootable usb in UEFI mode, selected Antergos Live (NVIDIA fallback), got 4-5 messages of kvm is disabled by bios and installer hanging with a blinking underscore
    6. Restarted, enabled CPU virtualization, booted the same bootable usb in UEFI mode and selected the same option. This time the installer hung with a black screen and a blinking underscore

I’m still a beginner so I’m somewhat stuck here. Any help or hints would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• @MrPlow said in Antergos USB issues:

as I own a GPU which is not supported by nouveau yet

No need for the Nvidia ISO anymore your card is supported by nouveau now, as far as i know:

https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

If not try adding nomodeset t boot menu

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad That’s great. I’ve tried 17.10 and the installer GUI does indeed load without any issues (it did not work on 17.09). Though I still have issues with mounting /boot/efi

fdisk says that efi is on /dev/sdc2 and as I couldn’t access/dev/sdc in partition section of the installer I’ve ran mount /dev/sdc2 /boot/efi manually, however it did not register with the installer GUI and I could not progress with the installation.

• @MrPlow
    Didn’t you say before that EFI was on /dev/sdc1?
    Could you show the result of

lsblk -f

• @manuel Yeah I was writing from memory so I wrote wrong, it was actually on /dev/sdc2 while /dev/sdc1 was the USB drive. This time, however, I can’t get EFI to show up at all.
    lsblk -f gives the following

NAME   FSTYPE   LABEL           UUID                                 MOUNTPOINT
    loop0  squashfs                                                      /run/archiso/sfs/root-image
    sda                                                                  
    ├─sda1 ntfs     System Reserved 4078E06178E056E6                     
    └─sda2 ntfs                     2ADA00ABDA00757B                     
    sdb                                                                  
    └─sdb1 ntfs                     AEB0AEF6B0AEC3E5                     
    sdc                                                                  
    └─sdc1 vfat     ANTERGOS        0660-642E                            /run/archiso/bootmnt

fdisk -l says pretty much the same thing

Disk /dev/sdb: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x53a614e2

Device     Boot Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1        2048 1953521663 1953519616 931.5G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sda: 447.1 GiB, 480103981056 bytes, 937703088 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x53a614e8

Device     Boot   Start       End   Sectors   Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *       2048   1026047   1024000   500M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2       1026048 853813247 852787200 406.7G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdc: 14.5 GiB, 15518924800 bytes, 30310400 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x0000ff01

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdc1  *     2048 30310399 30308352 14.5G  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Disk /dev/loop0: 1.8 GiB, 1922932736 bytes, 3755728 sectors

• Issue solved.
    Cause: I’m an idiot.
    I have somehow managed to install Windows in legacy mode so both disks were partitioned using MBR disk structure. After a quick conversion to GPT the efi partition is now plainly visible in the antergos installer and fdisk.

Posts 6Views 206