• 2 small forum-related issues

Sorry for gathering both questions in one post. Just didn’t want to create a thread for each small thing which is not even a bug. The issues appear in Google Chrome, dunno what it looks like in other browsers. One way or another, I’d like to know if it’s possible to:

• disable the ^F interception by the Search plugin

While reading a long thread, I often need to search a phrase. Unfortunately, pressing Ctr-F launches the search plugin, which IMHO is useless inside the thread. Firstly: I’d like to search currently visible content; secondly: it displays nothing but the popup: Error no-plugins-available, when used. This may be omitted by pressing ^F before opening a thread, but it’s inconvenient as hell. Could the ^F plugin association be turned off in any way?

• many times I needed to refer to a certain post in a certain thread. How do I obtain a link? If currently impossible, could it be added e.g. to the “Share this post” menu?

Could you please check out my game?

• @piotr said in 2 small forum-related issues:

• disable the ^F interception by the Search plugin

Here’s a workaround: These annoying javascripts can’t be invoked from within a focused input object. So, trick it by hitting CTRL-F twice.

many times I needed to refer to a certain post in a certain thread. How do I obtain a link?

Another temporary workaround: Hit the cog icon in the lower left of the post you wish to refer to. Right-click the bookmark entry and select the option in the context menu of your browser to copy the link location. When pasting, remember to remove the trailing ‘#’ (hash) symbol.

• @Krugar said in 2 small forum-related issues:

Here’s a workaround: These annoying javascripts can’t be invoked from within a focused input object. So, trick it by hitting CTRL-F twice.

It works:grinning:. I just tried it and it actually works perfectly! Thank you @Krugar for this invaluable tip.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Krugar Both solutions work, thank you!

However, enhancing the “Share this post” menu should be possible. Can’t be sure, I’ve never administered anything but phpBB clones.

• @piotr

@piotr said in 2 small forum-related issues:

However, enhancing the “Share this post” menu should be possible.

I agree. However, doing a cursory web search for “nodebb permalink” and “nodebb share post link” is strangely not resulting in anything worthwhile.

Something must exist though: I’m not a fan of these flat bulletin boards (yet I’m glad it’s NodeBB and not Discourse). But precisely because of their flat nature, one of their chief features is the ability to permalink a post.

• @Krugar said in 2 small forum-related issues:

yet I’m glad it’s NodeBB and not Discourse

Well, it took me quite a lot of time to get used to both, and they both have their pros and cons. If it comes to NodeBB, I don’t like the main page, which is useless on devices equipped with smaller screen. The top bar icons don’t refresh well for me. Notifications show up (or not) randomly, when the browser tab is inactive. However, I could also name several things I don’t like about Discourse, and it’s all a matter of choice. And finally - each forum is worth as much as its community, so there’s no reason to complain.

• @piotr

@piotr said in 2 small forum-related issues:

so there’s no reason to complain.

There is always a reason to complain in any field of engineering. Software development being no different. And complaining is what keeps the technological boat rocking. Whereas conformism is stagnation.

On this case, it is a pure technical matter and not a subject of personal preference: The reason I’m glad it is not Discourse is because the software is too hard to maintain and much less stable than NodeBB on each update with a similar set of plugins. Were Antergos forums powered by Discourse, and make no mistake we users would have had already plenty of run-ins into bugs and a tired web admin.

• @Krugar Well, I know both from the user side only. And I’m really glad I no longer administer any forum. :)

issues51 forum-related1 Posts 8Views 162