• Laggy performance with Gnome 3.26.1 on Wayland

I am using the Gnome Desktop 3.26.1 over Wayland with a NVidia GeForce GTX 960 with 4 GB of VRAM. Animations like App Grid and Overview are not smooth at all. They are very choppy and jerky. Not sure if Minimize, Maximize etc. are smooth, but they definitely appear better.

Video playback etc, from files on the computer, or from YouTube within the browser is smooth and flawless. I can stream 60fps content without a problem. I have the latest NVidia and Wayland etc., installed.

Can someone shed light on a possible fix? Thanks

• @jasperlevi May I ask you how you did it to launch the Wayland session? Do you use lightdm or have you replaced it with gdm?

Could you please check out my game?

• @jasperlevi
    Have you tried what happens when you use Gnome under xorg?
    Which driver are you using? Nouveau or Nvidia?
    J.

• @piotr I replaced lightdm with gdm some time back, and when the upgrade to gnome 3.26 came, it persisted. I am not sure if I AM running wayland (now that you ask). I don’t even know a way to check. All I know is that I read somewhere that the default entry runs wayland.

• @jasperlevi said in Laggy performance with Gnome 3.26.1 on Wayland:

I don’t even know a way to check.

Type echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE in terminal. I’m curious what you will see. Probably wayland.

• @Jeannie____ I am running the Nvidia driver. Is the nouveau one better?

• can also use

$ inxi -xx -G
    Display Server: X.Org 1.19.5

• @piotr says ‘X11’. Can you help me with a way to install Wayland? All this while I was thinking I was already running it.

• @jasperlevi
    Nouveau will limit your gpu performance to approx 20-30% of what is technically possible, but is open source. It’s up to you to judge what’s better.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ I guess Nvidia is better then. Anyway, same performance on Xorg as well.

Can you help me with a way to install Wayland?

Firstly, we still don’t have full info on your hardware. It’d be not bad if you pasted inxi -Fxzc0 output.

Secondly - there’re many more skilled people here, who will guide you better for sure. If it comes to me, the solution was this guide. However, my damned Nvidia still works better in visible way with Wayland, so I’d like to stick to it if possible. You’ll find more about it in another thread.

• @piotr inxi does not generate any output, other than a ‘bash: inxi: command not found’ message. I am assuming that I do not have this utility installed on my machine.

The link that you shared looks like it pertains to a laptop configuration with Nvidia Optimus switchable graphics. I am on a desktop with

• a PCI-E Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 card with 4 GB VRAM

• Intel i7 5820K processor

• Gigabyte X99 UD4 motherboard

I am on a desktop with

Well, the only desktop I installed Antergos (and each Arch at all) on in my life is the old one I use for testing purposes, equipped with 1GB Nvidia. Antergos runs perfectly well there out of the box with the proprietary driver, and it drives me mad. It’s smoother than my quite powerful and modern Optimus laptop. Unfortunately I have no experience at troubleshooting desktop hardware. Hopefully someone else here will be able to help.

• @piotr No problems. I’ll keep searching around Google for ways to implement Wayland on my desktop hardware.

• @jasperlevi i just write an WIKI entry for this:

https://antergos.com/wiki/de/hardware/graphics/antergos-nvidia-installer-2/

You will need KMS enabled for the nvidia driver to get wayland working…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad
    What an effort to get less functionality with and an additional xserver on top of wayland.
    J.

• i do not use wayland here ;)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Animations like App Grid and Overview are not smooth at all. They are very choppy and jerky.

Please, use some tools that may quantify otherwise rather subjective impressions about laggy, choppy or jerky performance.

For example, I use glmark2 2017.07 to measure Intel GPU performance with open Intel video driver, and glxspheres64 to measure Nvidia GPU performance with proprietary Nvidia video driver.

Averaged results are

Intel, glmark2 score:

• Xorg: 1145
    • Wayland: 1203

Nvidia, glxspheres64, frames/sec:

• Xorg: 205
    • Wayland: 198

I don’t see a significant difference in graphical performance between Xorg and Wayland, on either of two GPUs.

3.26.11 gnome242 laggy2 performance7 Posts 18Views 721