• Skype (SOLVED)

Let me get the kudos out of the way first.

I like this distribution! Installed it three days ago with KDE as my desktop manager. No problems, easy install and is a whole lot easier than an Arch install which I did three or four years ago. I am grateful!

Now my problem. Mint is installed on my wife’s machine, and it’s broken. Can’t upgrade it or down load any package. But as long as she could access the Internet, send her mail and talk to her overseas friends on Skype, I figured I’d leave it alone. Then somehow she managed to break Skype. Reinstall would have been the solution, but oh,oh, can’t install anything.

So I’m probably gonna put Antergos into her machine (as soon as she makes a backup of all her stuff) but she must have Skype. So how do I add the Arch AUR repository to the normal repositories?

Yeah, I did look but couldn’t find the information I need. My excuse is that I’m old, senile, and have a short attention span. Hopefully somebody can get me pointed in the right direction.

Craig S

• Let me get the kudos out of the way first.

I like this distribution! Installed it three days ago with KDE as my desktop manager. No problems, easy install and is a whole lot easier than an Arch install which I did three or four years ago. I am grateful!

Now my problem. Mint is installed on my wife’s machine, and it’s broken. Can’t upgrade it or down load any package. But as long as she could access the Internet, send her mail and talk to her overseas friends on Skype, I figured I’d leave it alone. Then somehow she managed to break Skype. Reinstall would have been the solution, but oh,oh, can’t install anything.

So I’m probably gonna put Antergos into her machine (as soon as she makes a backup of all her stuff) but she must have Skype. So how do I add the Arch AUR repository to the normal repositories?

Yeah, I did look but couldn’t find the information I need. My excuse is that I’m old, senile, and have a short attention span. Hopefully somebody can get me pointed in the right direction.

Craig S

• The AUR isn’t actually a pkg repository. It’s hold PKGBUILD files that you can use to build packages. You should review the link below and ensure you understand how the AUR works. You can easily install AUR packages using any pacman AUR wrapper. I prefer yaourt which you can install with

sudo pacman -S yaourt

To install skype you would then use:

yaourt -S skype

YOu can also use PacmanXG GUI to install AUR packages by entering your search query and then clicking “Include AUR”.

Cheers!

[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository][0]">[https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar][1] … Repository

[0]: <a href=
    [1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar

• Thanks Dustin. Really appreciate your response.

Looks like I didn’t look hard enough for the answer. (I’m still relying on the "old, senile excuse.)

Now. Any suggestions on how I can get her to save the stuff she wants to her external hard drive?

Craig S

• Is her /home dir on its own partition? If so you can use the same one during install without formatting it (you should create a user name that is different than the current one for install) If /home is not on a separate partition then you’ll have to copy the files the old fashioned way. Depending on how much stuff she has dropbox or copy might be a good solution.

Cheers!

Posts 5Views 3006