• A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000 (gdm-related)

Does anyone else see this message while closing / restarting their machine? It makes me wait one and half a minute almost every time. It seems to be Arch-, not Antergos-related, and - I suppose - the GNOME environment. It doesn’t affect my old testing desktop which runs XFCE. It does happen on my home laptop (Antergos/GNOME), and also at the office (Antergos/GNOME/VM).

Solutions found on the web:

1. install the watchdog package;
    2. edit /etc/systemd/system.conf by unhashing lines and setting values:
    ShutdownWatchdogSec=10s
    DefaultTimeoutStartSec=05s
    DefaultTimeoutStopSec=05s

…did not help. Does anyone have another idea?

Could you please check out my game?

• “Not a bug. Will not fix.” :)
    0_1508287964741_stop-job-running.jpeg

• @triode13 said in A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000:

“Not a bug. Will not fix.”

Sounds like a reply from Oracle: “Firstly: this has already been fixed. Secondly: we couldn’t reproduce the bug you reported. Finally: will not be fixed in current JDK version”. :)

• @piotr I run both OB and xfce on both my laptop and desktop machines and have not seen this, but rather get a brief “watchdog did not stop!” before restarting/power-down. Like you, the lengthy and annoying “a stop job is running…” was a regular occurrence when I was using Gnome.

• Yep, I realize it looks like this. A friend uses vanilla Arch + GNOME, which results in the same error. Just wanted to know if someone managed to find a workaround.

• Just wanted to know if someone managed to find a workaround.

I would love to say a workaround has been found, but to my knowledge none has:disappointed:. If someone around here does know, please do share this incredible knowledge with us! I would love to know!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• What happens if you log out of your session first before powering-down? I think this is what the church of Gnome recommends.
    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/1615
    Poettering replies close to the bottom

• @triode13 said in A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000:

What happens if you log out of your session first before powering-down?

Nice try, but it changed nothing. I must admit I’m on gdm / Wayland, but my machine at the office behaves in the same way on defaults.

• It would be interesting to know what unit is this that is actually delaying the shutdown process.

First make sure you are running with persistent logging:

• /etc/systemd/journald.conf should have the Storage property set to auto or persistent. Or it should have it commented.
    • you should have or sudo mkdir the /var/log/journal/ directory.

With this, when you boot back up after one of those delayed shutdowns, you can run “journalctl -rb -1” to show the log of the last session in reverse chronological order (most recent at the top). Hopefully you may be able to spot the troublemaker, if not by message, by the timestamp differences.

• @Krugar said in A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000:

Hopefully you may be able to spot the troublemaker, if not by message, by the timestamp differences.

I’m afraid it may be not really instructive. I see no major difference between what’s being saved during normal and troublesome shutdown.

-- Logs begin at Fri 2017-09-29 09:18:23 CEST, end at Wed 2017-10-18 09:24:42 CEST. --
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd-journald[209]: Journal stopped
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd-shutdown[1]: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um kernel: systemd-shutdow: 26 output lines suppressed due to ratelimiting
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Shutting down.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Starting Power-Off...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Reached target Final Step.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Reached target Unmount All Filesystems.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/disk/by-uuid/9a691276-376e-495b-b986-3b50a5041371.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/sda5.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/disk/by-id/ata-VBOX_HARDDISK_VBe303457e-2b11a148-part5.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/disk/by-label/AntergosSwap.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/disk/by-partuuid/90dc49f5-05.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivated swap /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:0d.0-ata-1-part5.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Reached target Shutdown.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Create Static Device Nodes in /dev.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped target Local File Systems (Pre).
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounted /boot.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Deactivating swap /dev/disk/by-uuid/9a691276-376e-495b-b986-3b50a5041371...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped target Swap.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounted /run/user/120.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounted Temporary Directory (/tmp).
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounting /run/user/120...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounting /boot...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Unmounting Temporary Directory (/tmp)...
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped target Local File Systems.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Create Volatile Files and Directories.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Network Time Synchronization.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Load/Save Random Seed.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch.
    paź 18 09:24:11 um systemd[1]: Stopped Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch.
    paź 18 09:24:10 um systemd[1]: Stopped target Local Encrypted Volumes.
    paź 18 09:24:10 um systemd[1]: Stopping Network Time Synchronization...
    paź 18 09:24:10 um systemd[1]: Stopped Load Kernel Modules.
    paź 18 09:24:10 um systemd[1]: Stopping Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown...

The only difference is the very first line: Stopping Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown..., absent in “healthy” logs.

• This is an long lasting systemd bug comming up going away and comming back… but it is for real caused by something not closed or not ready to end up…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in A stop job is running for user manager for UID 1000:

This is an long lasting systemd bug comming up going away and comming back… but it is for real caused by something not closed or not ready to end up…

Well, Windows has got it as a built-in feature for years. :) But it doesn’t take it 2 minutes to kill processes.

• @piotr oooch my windows takes mostly 36 Minutes to get started to the system itself… it try to do an kindoff millenium update, fails and uninstall it again…reboot … start system… and after it get this huge update downloaded completely again … the circle starts again…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I’ve saved one windows 10-powered notebook at home. Otherwise I’d be unable to upgrade firmware in my e-cigarette. :) :) :)

• nowadays we need to update the firmware for our cigarettes ;)

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

my windows takes mostly 36 Minutes to get started to the system itself…

Well you have me beat there:smile:. Mine only takes about 10 minutes to boot! But that is on actual hardware. I would susect that your is in a VM @joekamprad?

• @Keegan no this is on real hardware, and caused by failed install-update-uninstall-it-reboot-circle …

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

no this is on real hardware, and caused by failed install-update-uninstall-it-reboot-circle …

Wow! I had no idea you still have Windows hanging around on anything too…

@Keegan no this is on real hardware, and caused by failed install-update-uninstall-it-reboot-circle …

i have the exact same problem here for months…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @Keegan you need to know your enemies ;)

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Posts 50Views 1465