• Can't run my VitualBox

Hectors instruction list works great, but if any modules are added then you have to recompile the kernel by going thru the nano editing of the virtualbox.conf file and checking that all the module names that it showed are in there.
    It looks like you have to manually edit that file to include all of the module names, and then it will recompile the kernel and redo all of the modules to get things working.
    If you display the terminal you should see it clean the build area, and recompile all the modules for virtualbox
    and then dkms will autoinstall at that point.
    This to me is a problem that should be addressed when the updates come along.
    Once you have the initial part done then PKGBUILD should contain whatever steps are needed to update it.

The more you look at these problems the more you begin to understand how things work in Linux period.

So like the rest of the world, I am hoping that Package Manager will someday allow automated processing of .DEB files so that we don’t need to rely on everyone trying to figure it out.

The VirtualBox engine goes out and checks oracles site for updates, However they do not offer updates for ARCH linux for you to download. So you are best to get them via the updater or software manager or Pacman or whatever you use to obtain software. It seems to boil down to ARCH and Antergos and other ARCH based Linux, do not have package builds that you can download via your web browser. Its more that they are written for other types of linux that accept .deb and .rpm generic formats.

Now please dont smack down, but I agree that they need to encourage ARCH based linux to have things maintained, to keep up with the rest of the world.
    I understand that keeping up with the world of software, is a task that is nearly impossible.

• I don’t know how and I don’t know why: Since this morning VB works. Yesterday night before I did poweroff there came in some packages … host-modules to install. I did so and then poweroff. Starting VB this morning I got a hint that oracle-ext-* is still not installed. I did so and since then VB works smoothly.
    Thanks a lot to all who gave ideas and hints or tried to explain to me. For me it is clear that I am not so qualified to edit special files or to compile apps “by hand”. Now I’m really happy with this result. And I hope that VB will work tomorrow and all the days after tomorrow …

• Stumbled on this issue too,

• kernel got upgraded but unable to run virtualbox because the corresponding kernel modules weren’t available
    Linux ******  4.4.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT ***************  GNU/Linux

I did the following to get it working.

• resintall linux headers, which compiled new modules needed for virtualbox on the current kernel version. dkms autoinstall did not do the job for me. I could have tried other options though!
    $ pacman -S linux-headers 

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.16_OSE/source ->
                     /usr/src/vboxhost-5.0.16_OSE

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
    cleaning build area....
    make KERNELRELEASE=4.4.5-1-ARCH -C /usr/lib/modules/4.4.5-1-ARCH/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/5.0.16_OSE/build..............
    cleaning build area...
    Kernel cleanup unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

DKMS: build completed.

vboxdrv.ko:
    Running module version sanity check.
     - Original module
       - No original module exists within this kernel
     - Installation
       - Installing to /usr/lib/modules/4.4.5-1-ARCH/kernel/misc/

vboxnetflt.ko:
     - Original module
     - Installation

vboxnetadp.ko:
     - Original module
     - Installation

vboxpci.ko:
     - Original module
     - Installation

depmod.....

DKMS: install completed.

• then reload the modules
    $ rcvboxdrv  setup
    Unloading modules: 
    Loading modules: vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci vboxdrv

• Run virtual images on virtualbox with no problem
  • Had a similar problem, and nothing seemed to work. Every time I ran dkms autoinstall I would get the error

dkms autoinstall

Error! Could not locate dkms.conf file.
    File: does not exist.

Finally to solve it I went into the /var/lib/dkms/vboxhost/ directory and removed the directory for the previous version that do to a glitch, was not removed when updated. Everything works now!!

Posts 24Views 12533
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.