• Antergos is a dragon

… Yes.

I’m not sure how interesting you guys will find this, but when I was looking at Arch alternatives (I wanted Arch or Arch-based without the hassle) and I stumbled upon Antergos and saw the slogan:
    ;)
    I immediately thought Blue Dragonflight.
    They are a species of dragon from the popular MMORPG World of Warcraft, primarily located on a frozen wasteland in the north. All dragonflight members’ names follow the same rule. For the blue dragonflight, all male names end in ‘-gos’ and all female names end in ‘-gosa’.

Another thing I find interesting – though I could be totally wrong on this one – is the origin of our distro’s name, Antergos. It supposedly means “ancestors” in Galician (not that Google Translate will tell you that).
    Most people probably know that “mal” means “bad” in Spanish/Galician. One of the most well-known members of the Blue Dragonflight was named Malygos, which it’s probably safe to assume does not mean anything good. It’s probably no surprise, then, when I say that Malygos’s leadership brought chaos and resulted in the near-total eradication of his entire flight (including himself).
    So, though the naming origins of the blue dragonflight has never been stated, it seems possible (because of Malygos, for example) that it’s Spanish/Galician.

I’ve also drawn associations from the “always fresh, never frozen” wording which I can go into if people are really interested. If you’re up-to-date on Game of Thrones (or if you played Wrath of the Lich King), the comparison will be easy to understand, I promise. :P

Maybe all of this was a huge stretch, but to me it feels way too coincidental to not be intentional. Whoever wrote the current slogan knew exactly what they were doing. ;)

So, even though I have no doubt that Antergos really does mean “ancestors”, it will always be a dragon to me.
    Kalecgos

• If Antergos was a reference to WoW – or any other MMORPG for that matter – I would’t have even downloaded its ISO, much less make it my main system. Regardless of quality. And my presence on this forums could only mean I was trolling you all.

Anyway, you are experiencing bias confirmation from your initial wrong (or I would hope) assumption that a the tag line had a WoW connection. Look online for “apophenia”, for more information.

FYI, the tag line is a soft jab at so-called “frozen distributions”, also known as “point release distributions”, as opposed to “rolling release”.

@Hallowvale said in Antergos is a dragon:

I’m not sure how interesting you guys will find this

If you still want to see World of Warcraft meaning, be my guest. But don’t spread it around too much. It’s embarrassing.

• Hey man, it’s a lighthearted post. I didn’t say the distro was named after that game, and maybe if you had read it instead of attacking me, you’d know that.

I’m not sure exactly what happened to you to make you hate WoW so much, but the only one projecting here is you. ;)

• @Hallowvale said

Hey man, it’s a lighthearted post.

So it is, indeed. :ok_hand_tone1: Let s not open up issues where there are not meant to.
    By the way, a warm welcome to our community (and keep on having a vivid imagination, pal). :clap_tone1:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• … Nope.
    Antergome

• @underclock , gosh!!! I m loving that soooo much!:angel:

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• “it’s a lighthearted post”, yet, lets be 100% sure about…
    @Hallowvale said in Antergos is a dragon:

It supposedly means “ancestors”

it really means “ancestors”

"Pero debería a Real Academia Galega darlles cabida tamén ás acepcións novas que se xeraron ao longo do séc. XX de ‘antigo’ (As sete capitais do antergo Reino de Galicia) e de ‘devanceiro’ (O espírito dos nosos antergos)? Desde logo, o uso literario destas acepcións é abundantísimo. Velaquí un problema para o debate.

Antergo

• @Hallowvale said in Antergos is a dragon:

I’m not sure exactly what happened to you to make you hate WoW so much, but the only one projecting here is you. ;)

I’m not exactly sure what I said that made you think I hate anything.

In fact my answer tried to be very helpful, even if tongue-in-cheek. I gave you good material for your own study. And not just anything. Apophenia is a really interesting effect that many of us experience many times in the course of our lives and a fascinating study subject for anyone minimally interested in psychology, or to understand oneself.

You should perhaps learn to lower your guard. If you even admitted in your initial post that you could be off in your prediction, why then wear your full plate armor and stand against the first person that contradicts you?

So, I throw your advise back at you: Relax!

• @4ant Hmm, I didn’t mean it like that. I actually thought about removing “supposedly” but I was like “nah, no one will think twice about it”. The whole post is just similarities I’ve drawn which I thought were amusing.

@anarch Thanks for the warm welcome! Idunno, I’m actually kind of surprised no one else saw the name and had the same thought I did. I mean the game was played by 12 million people at its peak, but then again Blizzard = Windows, not linux, so maybe that’s why.

Also, that’s a hilarious gnome. :laughing:

@Krugar said in Antergos is a dragon:

You should perhaps learn to lower your guard. If you even admitted in your initial post that you could be off in your prediction, why then wear your full plate armor and stand against the first person that contradicts you?

What prediction? This post was about “hey look at the similarities between the name of our distro and this other completely unrelated thing.” Then you came in taking it completely literally as if I was saying that was the actual origin of the name (I wasn’t), like I’ve no idea how to read a wiki page to see that it isn’t. Then you advised me to look up something, which I thought was condescending considering the joking nature of the post, then you told me I should be embarrassed to post about World of Warcraft. Of course I’m going to be wearing armor when I post a fun little theory thing and get a reaction as if I’ve insulted your favorite band or something.

It seemed like you took the whole thing a bit too seriously.

• Aww, I triggered you. You felt I was being condescending when I was being honest. Must suck to be me. I am so sorry I didn’t laugh and frolic around at your post. Next time I promise I’ll wear my dumb smiling mask. You’ll like it because it makes me always look dumb and happy, regardless of how stupid a joke is.

Hey, welcome to the Antergos family! Take the good with the bad. I’m the bad. You can ignore me.

• @Hallowvale I would like to welcome you here at Antergos !!!

(even if mr. Krugar appears a little raw: he is a mastermind and a very helpful contemporary!)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Welcome to the community, @Hallowvale! That was an intriguing read I thought…

Hope to see you around:grinning:.

P.S. I loved the gnome, @underclock ;).

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Hi,

I can neither confirm nor deny @Hallowvale assumtions.

muahahahahaha…

Cheers!

• @karasu said in Antergos is a dragon:

I can neither confirm nor deny @Hallowvale assumtions.

Uh-Oh… this is getting highly suspicious:smile:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Well I’m glad at least a few of you thought it was somewhat amusing ;)

Posts 15Views 515