• Screen flashes black OR turns off and back on...

I’ve had an issue with my screen either turning off and back on or flashing to black and back to the original. screen I was on. It only last about 1 second, perhaps 2. But is annoying none the least.

There doesn’t appear (at least to me) to be any rhyme or reason such as over heating, bad cabling or connections. It does however seem to do it at least once per day.

My system quick and dirty run down is; I don’t know if some of this matters, but just in case

The monitor is a Samsung model U28E590/ZA connected via hdmi.

Kernel 4.13.4-1-ARCH
    i7 6700k stock speeds
    32gb ram
    Samsung 950 Pro SSD via NVM.e
    AMD RX 560 4Gb

And the inxi breakdown…

System:    Host: enki-workstation Kernel: 4.13.4-1-ARCH x86_64
               bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
               Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.22.24) info: gnome-shell dm: gdm,lightdm
               Distro: Antergos Linux
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: Gigabyte product: Z170X-Gaming GT serial: N/A
               Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z170X-Gaming GT v: x.x serial: N/A
               UEFI [Legacy]: American Megatrends v: F21 date: 03/06/2017
    Battery    hidpp__0: charge: N/A condition: NA/NA Wh volts: NA
               model: Logitech MK700 serial: <filter>status: Discharging
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-6700K (-HT-MCP-) 
               arch: Skylake-S rev.3 cache: 8192 KB
               flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 32076
               clock speeds: min/max: 800/4200 MHz 1: 4000 MHz 2: 4000 MHz
               3: 4000 MHz 4: 4000 MHz 5: 4000 MHz 6: 4000 MHz 7: 4000 MHz
               8: 4000 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 560]
               bus-ID: 02:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:67ff
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.4 )
               drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               OpenGL: renderer: AMD POLARIS11 (DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.4-1-ARCH, LLVM 5.0.0)
               version: 4.5 Mesa 17.2.2 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device aae0
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 02:00.1 chip-ID: 1002:aae0
               Card-2 Intel Sunrise Point-H HD Audio
               driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3 chip-ID: 8086:a170
               Card-3 Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
               driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-004 chip-ID: 045e:075d
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.4-1-ARCH
    Network:   Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
               driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k bus-ID: 00:1f.6 chip-ID: 8086:15b8
               IF: enp0s31f6 state: down mac: <filter>
               Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
               driver: alx port: c000 bus-ID: 08:00.0 chip-ID: 1969:e0a1
               IF: enp8s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1076.2GB (2.7% used)
               ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 model: Samsung_SSD_950_PRO_256GB size: 256.1GB
               serial: <filter> firmware: 1B0QBXX7
               ID-2: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD3200JS size: 320.1GB serial: <filter>
               ID-3: /dev/sdb model: ST3500418AS size: 500.1GB serial: <filter>
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 219G used: 12G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
               ID-2: /boot size: 243M used: 51M (23%)
               fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1
               ID-3: swap-1 size: 16.85GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
               fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p5
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 37.0
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 275 Uptime: 3:07 Memory: 2593.1/32201.0MB
               Init: systemd v: 234 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
               Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121 running in gnome-terminal-) inxi: 2.3.40 

Thanks for any and all responses and help.

• I’ve been having the same problem.
    For me it seems to happened with dual monitors since last update (when the config UI for dual monitors was changed). Some monitor (vertical) stopped working also (screen 1 and 2 gets mixed on the monitors and system freezes), but dont know if its related.

Specs

Kernel 4.13.4-1-ARCH
    i5-3210M CPU 2.50GHz
    16gb ram
    Kingston 240Gb SSD + 1Tb Seagate 5400RPM
    AMD Radeon 7730M

• @nic-araujo13 also connected via hdmi?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• To add, I was also using dual monitors (via hdmi and vga) and have since went to a single bigger monitor on a different GPU when I seemed to have noticed this issue. I have no idea if that has any bearing. I am still having this issue, though.

I do think I notice it appears to happen more often when coming back from the computer having been in hibernate mode from leaving it set for awhile. After bringing the screen up, logging in, the screen will load. But at some point shortly after, it will do the screen flash.

The flash does still seem to happen randomly though. A few times through out the day.

• Maybe this link will throw a clue …

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=221672

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

• I may be misunderstanding, but it appears the issue in the posted thread has to do with switching between monitor outputs. Such as using a laptop dock with external monitors.

I have a single monitor via HDMI with a dedicated GPU.

Also my issue is not that the monitor fails to turn on from suspend/hibernate or if unplugged and plugged back in. The monitor appears to flash/turn off and back on for what seems like no obvious reason. In the middle of browsing something like this forum, it may turn off and back on. It is of course annoying if you are in the middle of typing something or engaged with the mouse or keyboard.

I know the monitor is not losing actual power. But I don’t know if its a software flicker, or if the port is cutting out, losing signal, or something even more insidious.

• @thebrian2008 said in Screen flashes black OR turns off and back on...:

I may be misunderstanding, but it appears the issue in the posted thread has to do with switching between monitor outputs. Such as using a laptop dock with external monitors.

I apologize, since I have not read well … but I will continue to seek information about your problem.
    I hope that some update can come up with the solution, it does not always happen, but it’s a possibility.-

Autodidacta en la VIDA …y en Linux, también.

• @joekamprad I use internal + hdmi at home and internal + vga at work. With just internal or internal + hdmi I only have the flashing problem, with internal + vga it freezes the entire system upon connection (tried 3 different monitors, all vga).
    Also it appears that after coming from suspension or hibernation the screen flashing issue appears to be more frequent, like @thebrian2008 said.

• can you both try to disable dash-to-dock extension?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I do not have a dash to dock extension. I use cinnamon with its built in panels.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/sxyvf8.jpg

alt text

• @thebrian2008 sorry sure you get cinnamon ! and with a very nice syle!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I am about to go way off topic… I have an eye condition that causes my pupil to be enlarged letting in too much light. It’s called Mydriasis. As a result of Fiber Bundle Defect due to Optic Neuropathy. Basically, my optic nerve has ‘died’ about 15% in each eye, so I only have about 85% functioning nerves (which transmits what your eye sees to the brain), which causes my pupil to dilate trying to compensate - but it over compensate and causes severe dry eye, eye pain, and so forth. My biggest loss due to this is my inferior and superior field of vision. Basically I am going blind in my field of vision on the top and bottom of the eye. Meaning I tend to walk into things like wet floor signs or bang my head ont things that hang low. Literally can’t see it, but its weird, because I can see.

This is why I use a dark theme as well as use stylish to apply dark themes to websites. And I use RedShift during the day. Not because it’s cool, but it does look cool. Ha!

If you are interested you can go here: https://www.healthline.com/health/mydriasis and under reasons, mine would be “Cranial nerve neuropathy”.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/nervous_system_disorders/multiple_cranial_neuropathies_134,48

The oddest part of all this? It’s so far idiopathic, meaning they have no idea what’s causing it.

Just 3 years ago I had 20/20 in my right eye and 20/25 in my left.Vision fell off a cliff.

black44 flashes1 turns2 Posts 12Views 173