• New gnome packages breaks MATE

I upgraded a whole bunch of packages today but it resulted in MATE breaking down. The GUI around windows do not appear, the panel does not show any currently running programs, nothing can be minimised/maximised or switched; overall an almost unusable mess.
    I am just posting so that admins/moderators can take required action (perhaps an announcement to be careful?).

For anyone who upgraded and is looking to get their system to working state, fastest way is to follow the Arch Wiki to edit your pacman mirrorlist (MAKE A BACKUP JUST IN CASE!) to an archive version and force downgrade. While this downgrades other packages, the new update (as of today) had 60 packages so it will be really long to downgrade one at a time. pacman -Syyuu and a restart later things should normal again.

@developers , is this a MATE specific issue? Should this be reported upstream to MATE devs?

Edit: Forgot to add the pacman log. Here is my log during the upgrade:
    https://ghostbin.com/paste/a66n8

There were a lot of packages and I am currently unable to locate which packages are responsible for the breakage. I will try a bit later to see if there is a specific package causing the issue.

• @illusiveman
    Hi!
    I guess MATE was using some gnome package/lib etc as dependency and with gnome update the old was replaced by the new, then mate crashed (cause is searching for the old file).
    If i’m right you’ll need to wait until Mate developers update their Desktop, and it’s not Antergos related, so Antergos devs can only wait for it too.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• After today’s massive upgrades Antergos Mate continues to work just fine. Cannot confirm any problem, listed in the OP.

0_1507314709192_mate-1.18-works-fine-2017.09.06.png

• @just Here is my proof: 0_1507345744838_Screenshot at 2017-10-06 23-32-25.png

Look at the window outlines. Easiest to spot is Firefox master password prompt does not have any outline. None of the window have close/minimise/maximise.

My only resort was to downgrade all the packages.

• I can confirm the problem now. My apologizes for missing deeper investigates.

Beside Antergos I run also native Arch and Revenge OS. Revenge installs pure Arch, without any customizations.

In Arch and Revenge I use Marco. In Antergos I use Compiz.

Arch-Mate-Marco, Revenge-Mate-Marco, and Antergos-Mate-Compiz have no problems with window decorations.

When I switch Antergos-Mate from Compiz to Marco, the problem you’re talking about immediately appears.

The in-session switching back and forth between Marco and Compiz with marco --replace and compiz --replace works without a problem in Arch-Mate and Revenge-Mate.

In Antergos-Mate the in-session switching with compiz --replace works for Marco-to-Compiz transition only. An attempt to switch from Compiz to Marco fails with:

┌──[just]@[alexasm]:~$
    └─> marco --replace
    marco: error while loading shared libraries: libgtop-2.0.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    └─> 

To switch from Compiz to Marco in Antergos-Mate the window manager must be changed and the X session must be restarted.

Antergos uses a customized Mate DE. Marco currently doesn’t work as it should.

• @just Yup, I was investigating this issue, and I came to the same conclusion that it was the Marco Window Manager causing the issue. My laptop is old so I am not sure if I want to configure Compiz on it. If this is an issue with custom Antergos configuration, I will probably just wait until the issue is fixed.

• @illusiveman said in New gnome packages breaks MATE:

…I will probably just wait until the issue is fixed.

Agree.

In attempt to demonstrate you that Compiz is only 100M “heavier” than Marco, just found another problem in Antergos-Mate - mate-system-monitor doesn’t start:

└─> mate-system-monitor
    mate-system-monitor: error while loading shared libraries: libgtop-2.0.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    └─> 

It can’t be just a case that the missing component is the same as for Marco - libgtop-2.0.so.10.

• One more Antergos Mate application can’t start, blaming again the missing libgtop-2.o.so.10 - mate-appearance-properties. The post gives a good overview of the situation with libgtop package.

To summarize, so far we found four problematic apps:

• marco
    • mate-system-monitor
    • mate-appearance-properties
    • mate-disk-usage-analyzer
  • @just Ok and these are upstream issues, right? I will open an issue on Github in the Marco repository and report it.

…these are upstream issues, right? I will open an issue on Github in the Marco repository and report it.

No, these are not, don’t do it, please! Do not open an issue on main, official Mate GitHub!

It’s only Antergos-specific Mate issue. If you wish, you may open an issue on Antergos GitHub.

Upstream Mate works fine everywhere, with both Marco and Compiz, and with various utilities:

• in native Arch Mate
    • in Revenge Mate
    • in Tumbleweed Mate
    • in Fedora 27 Beta Mate
  • @just If the developers are aware of this issue then I will not open an issue on github. I will just wait for it to get patched :).

• I wanted to check, whether or not a fresh Anetrgos Mate installations are affected by libgtop problem. So I did a fresh Antergos 17.10 Mate install. The answer is yes, they are affected. Mate starts up, but Marco works bad, so windows decorations are missing, many panel applets don’t work, there are assorted issues here and there. Simply speaking, a freshly installed Mate is unusable.

• @just Ok so I did some digging over the weekend, seems like I found a (probably temporary) solution to this. So I followed the message that libgtop-2.0.so.10 was missing. Some google searches and poking through /user/lib later, I figured that there is a symlink named libgtop-2.0.so.11 to the file libgtop-2.0.so.11.0.0. I figured this is a newer version, and so I merely created another symlink to the file and named it (no surprises) libgtop-2.0.so.10. A restart later I can get marco and mate-system-monitor working. Now I do not know the full consequences of this, but so far it seems to be working quite well.

…I figured that there is a symlink named libgtop-2.0.so.11 to the file libgtop-2.0.so.11.0.0. I figured this is a newer version, and so I merely created another symlink to the file and named it (no surprises) libgtop-2.0.so.10. A restart later I can get marco and mate-system-monitor working.

Yes, it is the possible workaround. It was clear that a missing link to libgtop-2.0.so.10 was causing the problem. It’s great that you’ve found it. I’m too lazy to do the same.

It doesn’t guarantee though, that on future libgtop pkg upgrades, or upgrades of other pkgs that depend on it, the symlink won’t be broken again.

Even worse, the symlink is broken in fresh Antergos Mate installations. It means that there’s an error at a system level. Most users won’t ever be able to correct the symlink by hand.

For now, I can’t find any activity related to the issue in Antergos GitHub.

Bravo for the workaround you’ve found! Respect.

Edit

If anyone wants to apply @illusiveman’s workaround, it consists in:

sudo ln --symbolic --force /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so.11.0.0 /usr/lib/libgtop-2.0.so.10

• @just Yup, I know it is a temporary thing. As a matter of fact, I just received updates for marco, mate-control-centre and mate-applets all rebuilt for the new libgtop. See this diff for Marco for instance. The description says rebuilt for libgtop and sure enough, marco is working well without the need for the symlink. The updates are taking their time to propagate through but it seems like the other mate-* stuff were rebuilt for the new libgtop as well according to the arch linux packages, so in the next couple of updates we should have no need for the symlink.

• Alright, given we have the new updates and the symlink hack, I will mark this issue as solved. Thanks guys!

Alright, given we have the new updates and the symlink hack, I will mark this issue as solved.

Ok, thank you.

I’m trying to figure out, could it happen again in the future. The conclusion I’m coming to, hopefully wrong, is yes, it can. Not only Mate but also Cinnamon may become temporarily unusable after heavy future Gtk upgrades.

Why? Because:

1. Antergos has customized Mate and Cinnamon

2. To make them work, the highest priority was granted to [antergos] repo, around the summer 2016

3. [antergos] repo doesn’t have all and every packages, which may be installed for Mate and Cinnamon

4. During Mate and Cinnamon installation and upgrades these additional packages are taken from regular Arch repos

5. [antergos] repo can’t be kept perfectly aligned with regular Arch repos, it lives on its own and may be a few days behind Arch repos

6. Mate- and Cinnamon-specific packages are aligned with other Gtk packages in Arch repos

7. But in [antergos] repo they may still remain behind heavy Gtk upgrades in main Arch repos, for a few hours or days

8. In such a situation additional Gtk packages, installed for Antergos-Mate and Antergos-Cinnamon from Arch repos are upgraded to higher versions, while Mate- and Cinnamon-specific packages from [anteros] repo still remain at previous versions

9. Hence, a problem similar to the one, discussed in the thread, may arise

I hope to be wrong.

I add [antergos] repo to all other Arch installations here. But I place it at a lower priority, compared to regular Arch repos, like it was in Cinnarch and in Antergos itself for a long time. Never had a similar problem with this schema.

• @just Yes that is true. The arch updates were released a while ago but due to the antergos repo being behind, such updates have the potential to cause breakages. Your setup works because arch has higher priority. So the solution to this would be to either revert to arch repo being given the higher priority or to hold packages until a full upgrade is available. I think the latter is time consuming and may not really be feasible.

• @just said in New gnome packages breaks MATE:

I add [antergos] repo to all other Arch installations here. But I place it at a lower priority, compared to regular Arch repos, like it was in Cinnarch and in Antergos itself for a long time. Never had a similar problem with this schema.

So how can one do that themselves? It sounds worthwhile…

Thanks!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Keegan I think @just did what I usually do: edit the /etc/pacman.conf. If you read the output of cat /etc/pacman.conf you will see that the order of the repositories listed in the conf files determines priority.
    ...pacman will search repositories in the order defined here...
    ...repositories listed first will take precedence when packages have identical names, regardless of version number...

As @just mentioned, by default the Antergos mirror list has higher priority than arch mirrors, as the [antergos] repo appears above [core] repo. Just edit the file and push the [antergos] repo below the core repo and you should be good.

Posts 23Views 874