• Working on an Antergos-i3wm setup

I’d like to show a still work-in-progress i3wm setup that I am working on and that I intend to share through a github dotfile repository once it leaves its current alpha stage. This is meant to support a i3wm instalaltion isolated from any other DE (that is, you don’t need to be running i3wm on top of any other DE like is frequent to see these days).

The alpha stage includes the general setup and theming of i3 and a few console applications (terminal, ncmpcpp, weechat, vim, etc). Once that is done, it will move from my private computer to github where anyone can contribute. And while on github is where I intend to start working on the GTK theming.

The intent is to have a beautiful i3 setup generally following Antergos colorset, but without making it a separate distro.

Clean Desktop, alpha-oct-2017
    Clean Desktop

Rofi as a replacement to dmenu, alpha-oct-2017
    Rofi menu

Busy, showing vim && zathura, alpha-oct-2017
    Busy Desktop

Ncmpcpp, alpha-oct-2017
    Ncmpcpp music player

Weechat, alpha-oct-2017
    Weechat

• Beautiful:grinning:. I love it already!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• i would like to see your rofi configuration :)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• rofi.matching:         fuzzy
    rofi.font:             Ubuntu Mono 36
    rofi.levenshtein-sort: true
    rofi.terminal:         i3-sensible-terminal

rofi.location: 0
    rofi.lines:    4
    rofi.width:    100
    rofi.padding:  400

rofi.display-run:    
    rofi.display-drun:   
    rofi.display-window: 

#                  background     border         separator
    rofi.color-window: argb:cc14161a, argb:00000000, argb:00000000
    #                  bg             fg             alt-bg         hl-bg          hl-fg
    rofi.color-normal: argb:0000000,  argb:ff878d94, argb:00000000, argb:00000000, argb:ff4978B3
    rofi.color-active: argb:0000000,  argb:ffced4db, argb:00000000, argb:00000000, argb:ff4978B3
    rofi.color-urgent: argb:0000000,  argb:ff623e3e, argb:00000000, argb:00000000, argb:ff4978B3

rofi.fake-transparency: true
    rofi.fake-background:   background

rofi.separator-style: none
    rofi.scroll-method:   0
    rofi.hide-scrollbar:  true

Rofi is invoked with rofi -show run -modi window,run,drun.

The symbols for each of the modis are from FontAwesome, best obtained from community/awesome-terminal-fonts. The three symbols are, from top to bottom on the config above: fa-window-maximize for run modi, fa-th-list for drun modi, and fa-window-restore for window modi. (see, http://fontawesome.io/cheatsheet/)

Depending on your screen resolution you will want to adjust the rofi.padding: 400 to a better suiting value. Since there is no true height property in rofi and the padding property includes vertical padding, the idea is for its value to help you obtain the full vertical height of your screen. It is ok if you overshoot it. Just ensure that padding * 2 + rofi_height >= screen_height.

• An updated screenshot showing:

• A keyboard script for i3blocks, clickable for layout changing.
    • A trash script for i3blocks. A color-coded trash status icon, capable of emptying and displaying trash contents.
    • A calendar
    • An mpd conky showing current song. Only displays when mpd is running. Hides otherwise.

alt text

Moving quickly to beta status. I suspect it won’t take much longer to get it on github. Need to think of a way of creating an easy to use package that can work as a full i3 theme users can quickly apply if they so wish.

• should be more then possible to do a package what put the configs an its place and depending on packages you will need, and i would takover your config as it is the pure elegancy itself!

Wha is your way to handle windows? are they floating by default?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Thanks for the kind words.

No. All windows are tiling by default. There are a few exceptions of course:

for_window [class="Pinentry|Gzdoom|Artha"] floating enable

I’ve identified a few more windows that I need to make floating and that I will be adding later. But my workflow consists primarily of tiling windows.

• @Krugar said in Working on an Antergos-i3wm setup:

Moving quickly to beta status. I suspect it won’t take much longer to get it on github.

Great:grinning:. I can’t wait to see your ode and try it out myself!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• i was asking because i was using conky before too, but as i never get my background visible at all, only onder some transparent terminals, i stop using it and put all “monitors” under i3-blocks or have them inside my terminal wall:
    0_1507845927358_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-10-13 00-04-29.png

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• But may you have a trick around let the workspace open also without a window on it?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Working on an Antergos-i3wm setup:

but as i never get my background visible at all, only onder some transparent terminals, i stop using it and put all “monitors” under i3-blocks or have them inside my terminal wall

Oh, well observed!
    The thing with conky is that it is more a vanity thing than anything else. I don’t even care much for it. I just find it gives some life to the desktop.

But there’s something else. It’s another styling venue, One of the purposes of this project is to style a large number of applications within the same theme. Even those we don’t intend to use, so a larger number of users can take advantage of the setup. I would eventually like to see dotfiles being contributed by users to applications I don’t use or even intend to.

• @joekamprad,

Yes, workspaces can open empty. That’s what I did to take the above screenshot.

set $workspace1  "1: "
    set $workspace2  "2: "
    set $workspace3  "3: "
    [...]

bindsym $mod+1 workspace $workspace1
    bindsym $mod+2 workspace $workspace2
    bindsym $mod+3 workspace $workspace3
    [...]

• @joekamprad said in Working on an Antergos-i3wm setup:

i was asking because i was using conky before too, but as i never get my background visible at all, only onder some transparent terminals, i stop using it and put all “monitors” under i3-blocks or have them inside my terminal wall

Hi!

to make conky work under i3

# To activate background ADD
    # own_window_class Conky
    # own_window_type override
    #  background yes

# REMOVE
    # own_window_type normal

OBS: I also stopped using conky, i just use in the .iso for displaying shortcuts for begginers

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @Krugar but closing if leave empty :)

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @fernandomaroto as you can see here wallpaper is not visible most of the time: https://youtu.be/QA7eLgKS8js
    So conky make no sence if you will not see it…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad
    ah yes, but that’s how is conky on another desktops too (at least is how i always used them)

offtopic, i like to use tabbed tiling windows ($mod+w) and see each window filling the screen

@Krugar

Need to think of a way of creating an easy to use package that can work as a full i3 theme users can quickly apply if they so wish.

If you are using specially /home folder for the configs maybe you could simply pack all the files you made? It’s easy to decompress and don’t require any sudo permission…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

Posts 16Views 276