• Boot from old laptop HDD. Manually add boot option.

Hello the Antergos community.

First of all 2 weeks ago my ancient laptop died. I recovered the hdd and put it into a dock so I can access my old folders.

I also had a dual boot with Antergos on this hdd, and now I want to boot on this partition with my new laptop. (Tell me if you think it is impossible)

What I achieved :
    - Plug the hdd on new Laptop
    - Access the bios (from Asus laptop running Windows 10)
    - Ancient windows boot option appeared as a viable boot option in the bios

I don’t want to try to boot on my old windows 10 partition on the hdd because it may has a virus on it (that probably destroyed my old laptop).

It seems to me that it is possible to manually add the boot option of my Antergos partition.

What I don’t know :
    - The correct boot path that I must enter in bios in order to boot in Antergos.

Thank you,
    ToSh75

• you can use /etc/grub.d/40_custom file by copy the entry parameters from old HDD (/boot/grub/grub.cfg on old HDD)

sudo cp /etc/grub.d/40_custom /etc/grub.d/30_custom (because may 40 exists already)
    sudo nano /etc/grub.d/30_custom

copy the entry you want to add to your grub mnenu from /boot/grub/grub.cfg of the old HDD but may will be a problem with UUIDS because place of HD changed ???

Save file [ctrl+X] and rebuild grub.cfg

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

• @ToSh75 said in Boot from old laptop HDD. Manually add boot option.:

put it into a dock

means connected via USB?

• @joekamprad said in Boot from old laptop HDD. Manually add boot option.:

problem with UUIDS because place of HD changed

I could edit the /etc/fstab file and add it …

I think or I’m wrong, apologies for the intrusion @joekamprad

• or chrooting into the old HDD system and regenerate the grub.cfg from itself…and may reinstall grub to old-HDD then try boot again from the old HDD

boot280 laptop51 hdd10 manually2 Posts 5Views 542
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.