• My issues with the Antergos ISOs so far.

Unsure if this is the right category, but I have not been able to successfully get the Antergos ISO booted on any of my systems so far, and it’s really starting to frustrate me.

System A (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/x3RGZ8):
    GTX 1070
    Ryzen 5 1600

System B (MSI GL72 Q6D):
    GTX 950m (Hybrid)
    i5 6300HQ

Issues with System A:

• Booting regularly causes the screen to freeze up with a line going across it. I can’t seem to get any combination of nomodeset working correctly, including nouveau.modeset=0, which just hangs at a blinking cursor after the boot screen.
    • Booting from any of the fallback options results in a “\EFI\archiso\vmlinuz not found” error. (going from memory, may not be exact)

Issues with System B:

• Hangs after “Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status…”

Suggestions for A:

• Have a basic graphics mode like Fedora does (Fedora boots great in basic graphics)
    • Include proprietary drivers in the install image

Unsure what’s wrong with B at this point, still researching.

And yes, I do know there’s an NVIDIA ISO out there that uses proprietary drivers, but I feel like there should be an official solution.

• Still don’t know what’s up with the RFKill thing but other distros work fine.

• @tenten8401 said in My issues with the Antergos ISOs so far.:

And yes, I do know there’s an NVIDIA ISO out there that uses proprietary drivers, but I feel like there should be an official solution.

the problem here is that it is problematic to include nvidia drivers in many ways, first thing is that you will get then the same you have with very new cards on legacy nvidia cards, and to include nvidia will be a placeholder only till nouveau can handle this newer cards.

And as Antergos is a Archlinux Distribution, and archlinux do not offer a graphical install itself, the problematic is not the same as on Distros based on debian e.t.c.

Aslo i do not change anything on the Nvidia ISO this mainly only remove of disturbing packages and adding of nvidia package… the installation over cnchi installer is exactly the same and will result in the same system as with the original ISO.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

I can’t seem to get any combination of nomodeset working correctly, including nouveau.modeset=0,…

1. If the BIOS controls and enables the dscrete video card - Nvidia, - then disable it. Set BIOS to use integrated - Intel - video card.

2. Nouveau driver causes many troubles on hybrid cards. Why use it, with nouveau.modeset=0 parameter? Try to exclude nouveau completely and run on Intel only, by booting with

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

Two parameters are different one from another, and do different things.

• Problem with just disabling the nouveau driver is I’m using a Ryzen processor, which has no iGPU.
    I may give the nvidia ISO a shot on my laptop to see if it’s causing issues with the hybrid graphics as well.
    Edit: Just occured to me that my laptop is booting on Intel graphics already since that’s what it does by default with hybrid, and the fact that the bootscreen shows up just fine on the laptop at full resolution makes me think so as well.

• Booted up with the vanilla Antergos ISO on my laptop again and it seems to just be freezing at random points. :/
    I say freezing, there’s still a blinking cursor, but the USB drive just stops blinking altogether (blinks for I/O)

EDIT: It seems using a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0 fixed my issue for the laptop, as I’m now in a working live environment. I’ll try this on my desktop and get back to y’all in a minute.

• Switching to a USB 2 port on the desktop did not solve the issue.

• So the NVIDIA Fallback & non graphical issue is related to \EFI\loader\entries(nvidia-fallback & non-graphical-fallback).conf needing vmlinuz replaced with vmlinuz.efi.
    Downloading the NVIDIA ISO to test it out as I type this.

• I wish you the best of luck with it, @tenten8401:grinning:.

May your problem be solved shortly and painlessly…

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO:
    https://rebornos.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• An update on the laptop, it was freezing while doing quite a lot of things, and kworker was using 100% of one of my CPU cores. Adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau fixed the issue.

Adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau fixed the issue.

Yay! That’s good to hear.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

My ISO:
    https://rebornos.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

Adding modprobe.blacklist=nouveau fixed the issue.

For unknown reason, it became a very common mistake to try to exclude nouveau from being used with nouveau.modeset=0 parameter.

It doesn’t exclude nouveau from being loaded and used. It only shifts the responsibility from setting up the graphical mode from Xorg to the kernel.

The correct way to completely exclude nouveau is to use modprobe parameter with blacklist option. Nouveau is not loaded and is not used in the X session.

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

nouveau.modeset=0 should be stopped from being used forever. Only modprobe.blacklist=nouveau may give the desired result. I would put a sticker with this warning somewhere.

• @just I wonder if that’s why the official ISO doesn’t work on my desktop… I may have to give that a shot just to see.

I wonder if that’s why the official ISO doesn’t work on my desktop…

Attention: AFAIK, Optimus cards for desktop PCs don’t exist.

That said, yes, it is possible. Nouveau causes big troubles on recent Optimus cards, say, starting from 900M and above. It doesn’t causes problems on old and mid-range Optimus cards, from 450M up to 750M for sure, at least on Acer and Dell.

Nouveau is the only free drivers solution for single-GPU, non-Optimus cards. It should work on such cards without a problem.

Much depends on hardware manufacturer.

Acer is the number one. It makes the most Linux friendly laptops

Dell stays somewhere in the middle.

Asus has one goal only - to prove that none OS but Windows works on its hardware. It succeeds in this intention.

By including nouveau in the standard ISO Antergos tries to cover all these cases. One cannot embrace the unembraceable. Nevertheless, Antergos tries to do it.

• Okay, so modprobe.blacklist=nouveau had the same blinking cursor issue as nouveau.modeset=0, so I tried the NVIDIA ISO. None of the boot entries work, all of them having a vmlinuz not found issue.

• @tenten8401 If the BIOS controls video card, try to disable Optimus and discrete video card, as described in Antergos Wiki.

• It works correctly with my Optimus laptop. I want to get it installed on my desktop.

It works correctly with my Optimus laptop.

Ok. Optimus works on the laptop. This issue is solved.

I want to get it installed on my desktop.

I cannot remotely help with desktop PCs.

• Guess I’m kinda stuck then unless I can swap my 1070 for a Vega 56, which is going to be impossible with these prices.

I still feel like this is an Antergos issue more than anything, as Fedora’s able to boot just fine with free drivers (granted still in basic graphics mode, but still)

• try the new ISO 17.10 nouveau webside say your card is supported now!
    https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Posts 25Views 1063