• Openbox won't show menus

Hi!

I did a fresh install of Antergos with openbox as environment option, and in general it’s as snappy as the folks here says it is—but my openbox is incapable of loading any menu that isn’t the workspaces. I’ve set it to run obmenu generator, but this problem still prevails on a unedited menu.xml file. Can anyone help me on this? By what I remember, my rc.xml file is mostly unedited.

Btw, I’m not sure if this other problem is also tied to openbox—but to avoid creating another topic: I’ve noticed that my antergos doesn’t show right click menus unless it’s the openbox menu from my desktop. This makes editing plank to be impossible and etc. What should I do to make the other menus appear? I only use my notebook’s touchpad.

Edit: Finally could add a pic and info on the xmls.

• @pixelpixie
    Hi!
    Not an Openbox user here… What happens if you rename menu.xml to menu.xml.bak and rc.xml to rc.xml.bak and then reboot?

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto

It creates a new menu.xml with the same configurations as the previous renamed file. The bug still remains tho.

TBH I’m beginning to believe that my antergos iso might’ve gotten borked while I was burning it onto my DVD and it’s why my OS is getting those glitches.

• @pixelpixie

The bug still remains tho.

:(

TBH I’m beginning to believe that my antergos iso might’ve gotten borked while I was burning it onto my DVD and it’s why my OS is getting those glitches.

Possible…

you can try to download the rc.xml from here:
    https://github.com/Antergos/antergos-iso/tree/master/configs/openbox/root-image/etc/skel/.config/openbox

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• Okay, after checking my iso’s validity and wasting DVDs, I’ve come to the conclusion that it might be more about openbox itself than antergos’s install.

Basically, I ran openbox-menu on terminal and got this:

[[email protected] ~]$ openbox-menu
    /home/jennyfish/.gtkrc-2.0:19: Não foi possível localizar o arquivo de include: "~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"
    File applications.menu doesn’t exist. Can’t create menu.

This is probably the problem. I checked the .cache folder and there is really no applications.menu on it. Neither /etc/xdg/openbox has an applications.menu on it. I do have menu-cache installed here, and yet…

• @pixelpixie
    you can create a gtkrc-2.0.mine with something like

# DO NOT EDIT! This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance.
    # Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine instead.

style "maroto"
    {
    base[NORMAL] = "#263238"
    base[ACTIVE] = "#141E1F"
    }
    # widget_class "*" style "default"
    class "GtkWidget" style "maroto"
    #class "FmMainWin.*.FmTabPage" style "maroto"
    #class "*Entry*" style "maroto"
    #BROWN - base[NORMAL] = "#141E1F"
    #DARKER - base[ACTIVE] = "#263238"

Did you try to reinstall openbox? if you did and didn’t work may you need to reinstall using --force option with pacman (to overwrite bad config files)
    sudo pacman -S openbox --force
    sudo pacman -S openbox-menu --force

you could also try to reinstall the dependencies with:
    sudo pacman -S $(pactree -u openbox) --needed
    and do the same for addons you may be using like sudo pacman -S $(pactree -u openbox-menu) --needed etc etc

*Use --force option is not recommended but sometimes to fix messed files is the only way to fix stuff…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto

It fixed the gtkrc-2.0 problem but it’s still asking for the applications.menu file

• @pixelpixie said in Openbox won't show menus:

applications.menu

check if you have it at /etc/xdg/menus

one possible solution is here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109350

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

Posts 8Views 381