• \[SOLVED\] Cinnamon Power Settings crash

I installed Antergos with Cinnamon from the latest ISO (2014.05.26 64bits). Most things are working fine, but I can’t open Power Settings. All other settings seems to work, but when press Power Settings the menu just disappears.

Anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?

• I installed Antergos with Cinnamon from the latest ISO (2014.05.26 64bits). Most things are working fine, but I can’t open Power Settings. All other settings seems to work, but when press Power Settings the menu just disappears.

Anyone know what the problem might be and how I can fix it?

• I,ve been having this problem too. From reading around the arch forum an others this is the problem.
    I’ve installed xscreensaver to be able to stop my screen from turning off while watching tv in mythtv because of this.

cinnamon-settings power  
    Python module  
    Could not find bluetooth module; is the cinnamon-control-center package installed?  
    Loading Power module  
    /usr/bin/python2: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/cinnamon-control-center-1/panels/libpower.so: undefined symbol: up\_client\_get\_can\_hibernate

the libpower is newer in arch than mint an the only way this will be fixed is when mint (ubuntu) moves to gtk 3.12 instead of 3.10.
    Arch might lose cinnamon soon because of developement being so far behind. cinnamon in arch is at version 2.28 mint 17 rc is at 2.2.13 it will need some patching to be upgradeable. It can’t even be build for the aur either, thats broken too.

• Yes, this is caused by a version mismatch in libupower. However, we are nowhere near the point of Cinnamon’s removal from Arch repos. We will do everything we can to keep Cinnamon and as such are currently working with the Mint devs to fix the libupower issue.

Best Regards,

• So the solution is just wait for it to be fixed? Is there another way to access power settings, like a config file or something?

• Which power settings do you need to configure? You should still be able to access the power settings screen. (I can on my system). Make an attempt to access it once more and then post the contents of ~/.xsession-errors please.

Cheers!

• It is the settings for when the screen will turn itself off, what happens when the laptop is closed etc. Accessing the power settings screen is the problem, when I press that button in the settings menu the menu just disappears.

Here is my .xsession-errors:

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'device-changed' is invalid for instance '0x7f723800bc70' of type 'UpClient'  

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'changed' is invalid for instance '0x7f723800bc70' of type 'UpClient'  

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): media-keys-plugin-WARNING \*\*: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.  
    Failed to play sound: File or data not found  
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'active-display-scale' is invalid for instance '0x3c5f520' of type 'GSettings'  

(zeitgeist-datahub:639): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: invalid (NULL) pointer instance  

(zeitgeist-datahub:639): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL \*\*: g\_signal\_connect\_data: assertion 'G\_TYPE\_CHECK\_INSTANCE (instance)' failed  
    JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon  
    Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-in".  
    Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-out".  
    JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Sat May 31 2014 09:15:13 GMT+0200 (CEST)  

\*\* (nemo:640): WARNING \*\*: Can not get \_NET\_WORKAREA  

\*\* (nemo:640): WARNING \*\*: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout  
    JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)  
    JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active  

(cinnamon:634): St-WARNING \*\*: Did not find color property '-gradient-start'  

(cinnamon:634): St-WARNING \*\*: Did not find color property '-gradient-end'  
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Ny fane \\E2\\80)  
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Antergos L)  
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Antergos F)  
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Antergos F)  

• Okay, what about the output of the following (after you try to access the power screen):

sudo journalctl -b \> ~/journal

That will save it to a file that you can copy/paste from (~/journal).

• Having not used the journal file before I hope I copied out what you need:

mai 31 09:48:00 G580 ntpd[408]: bind(21) AF\_INET6 fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3%3\#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address  
    mai 31 09:48:00 G580 ntpd[408]: unable to create socket on wlp2s0 (26) for fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3\#123  
    mai 31 09:48:00 G580 ntpd[408]: failed to init interface for address fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3  
    mai 31 09:50:00 G580 ntpd[408]: bind(21) AF\_INET6 fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3%3\#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address  
    mai 31 09:50:00 G580 ntpd[408]: unable to create socket on wlp2s0 (27) for fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3\#123  
    mai 31 09:50:00 G580 ntpd[408]: failed to init interface for address fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3  
    mai 31 09:52:00 G580 ntpd[408]: bind(21) AF\_INET6 fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3%3\#123 flags 0x11 failed: Cannot assign requested address  
    mai 31 09:52:00 G580 ntpd[408]: unable to create socket on wlp2s0 (28) for fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3\#123  
    mai 31 09:52:00 G580 ntpd[408]: failed to init interface for address fe80::f6b7:e2ff:feef:16d7%3  
    mai 31 09:52:43 G580 sudo[1836]: pam\_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed  
    mai 31 09:52:43 G580 sudo[1836]: pam\_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [jonpeder]  
    mai 31 09:52:58 G580 org.gnome.Terminal[514]: (gnome-terminal-server:1885): GLib-GIO-WARNING \*\*: Failed to parse translated string 'visible-name\\u0004'Unnamed'' for key 'visible-name' in schema 'org.gnome.Terminal.Legacy.Profile': 0:expected value  
    mai 31 09:52:58 G580 org.gnome.Terminal[514]: (gnome-terminal-server:1885): GLib-GIO-WARNING \*\*: Using untranslated default instead.  
    mai 31 09:53:05 G580 sudo[1891]: jonpeder : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/jonpeder ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/journalctl -b  
    mai 31 09:53:05 G580 sudo[1891]: pam\_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by jonpeder(uid=0)

• You’ll need to run the command as root to get the full journal.

• I did, but it was to long to be posted in it’s full. Tried uploading the file as an attachment, but got: “The extension is not allowed”.

• Compress it first (right click>>compress)

• Didn’t think of that

• hmm…there is nothing in there about the power module screen. Did you attempt to access it before accessing the log? Perhaps reproducing the issue on a fresh boot will help. Try rebooting and once you log in make an attempt to access the power module then close it. Make a second attempt and close it. Then grab the contents of .xsession-errors and the journal like you did before.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• Don’t know if it is of any help but if I try opening Power Settings from the Cinnamon menu instead of the settings menu just nothing appears at all. It is like I haven’t tried opening anything at all. But I done what you said and here are the info:

.xsession-errors:

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'device-changed' is invalid for instance '0x1e59510' of type 'UpClient'  

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'changed' is invalid for instance '0x1e59510' of type 'UpClient'  

(cinnamon-settings-daemon:548): media-keys-plugin-WARNING \*\*: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.  
    Failed to play sound: File or data not found  
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: gsignal.c:2462: signal 'active-display-scale' is invalid for instance '0x2298920' of type 'GSettings'  

(zeitgeist-datahub:633): GLib-GObject-WARNING \*\*: invalid (NULL) pointer instance  

(zeitgeist-datahub:633): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL \*\*: g\_signal\_connect\_data: assertion 'G\_TYPE\_CHECK\_INSTANCE (instance)' failed  
    JS LOG: About to start Cinnamon  
    Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-in".  
    Window manager warning: Trying to remove non-existent custom keybinding "magnifier-zoom-out".  
    JS LOG: Cinnamon started at Sun Jun 01 2014 10:37:19 GMT+0200 (CEST)  

\*\* (nemo:634): WARNING \*\*: Can not get \_NET\_WORKAREA  

\*\* (nemo:634): WARNING \*\*: Can not determine workarea, guessing at layout  
    JS LOG: network applet: Cannot find connection for active (or connection cannot be read)  
    JS LOG: network applet: Found connection for active  

(cinnamon:628): St-WARNING \*\*: Did not find color property '-gradient-start'  

(cinnamon:628): St-WARNING \*\*: Did not find color property '-gradient-end'  

Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Ny fane â€)  
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a \_NET\_ACTIVE\_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00001 (Ny fane â€)  
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: STACK\_OP\_RAISE\_ABOVE: sibling window 0x260002a not in stack  
    Window manager warning: Log level 16: STACK\_OP\_LOWER\_BELOW: sibling window 0x260002a not in stack

Journal is attached.

• I found that this can be fixed by installing [b:7z3qf7lm]cinnamon-control-center-upower[/b:7z3qf7lm] from AUR.

• This was suppose to have been fixed in the last update. Was that not the case for you?

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• No, and I checked after every time I updated.

Posts 18Views 3013