• Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.

@manuel said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

Something like pacman -Q

Just did pacman -q and it worked😀. Preparing to reinstall now.

• Turns out the necessary command to list ALL packages (including the AUR ones, but without the ones installed as dependencies) is yaourt -Qe.

• But how does one reinstall and still keep their home directory? (it’s on partition sda7 for me).

Thanks!

• On your current system, before reinstalling, this will list all your explicitly installed packages.
    pacman -Qeq | sort > package_list

Depending on your habits, you may also wish a list of your foreign packages (AUR):
    pacman -Qemq | sort > aur_list

(Note: The sort commands are obligatory because of the comm command used below.)

Then after reinstallation, the best option is to just install normally from pacman what you know you want. When you are satisfied, you need to generate a list of stuff that you are still missing from your earlier installation. To do that, get the package_list file you generated earlier into the new system and issue the following command:

comm -23 package_list <(pacman -Qeq | sort) > missing_list

And there you will have what you still need to install. From here, I suggest always going through these things manually. But if you want to install in bulk, all you have to do now is:

pacman -Syu $(missing_list)

• @Keegan

But how does one reinstall and still keep their home directory? (it’s on partition sda7 for me).

When you choose your partitions do as normaly do, BUT select NOT FORMAT your home partition.

you can use this script to install your packages if you want (i created it a long time ago):
    https://pastebin.com/9wgz4nnU

Create a list with all packages named packages.txt
    make the script executable with chmod +x script_name
    then execute, that way you’ll install all packages very fast…

• @Krugar said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

On your current system, before reinstalling, this will list all your explicitly installed packages.
    pacman -Qeq | sort > package_list

Thank you so much, @Krugar😀. I ran yaourt -Qeq instead, and it automatically combined your two commands, showing me both my packages in the AUR and in the usual repos, including the Antergos one!

Again, thank you.

• @fernandomaroto said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

When you choose your partitions do as normaly do, BUT select NOT FORMAT your home partition.

Thank you so much @fernandomaroto! This is going to be easier than I thought ;).

• @Keegan said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

Thank you so much, @Krugar. I ran yaourt -Qeq instead

:(

I know right now this isn’t possible. Just solve your problem for now. But in the future, please avoid using aur helpers. Use them only and exclusively for installing and updating AUR packages. Do not even use them to uninstall packages from AUR.

Learn and exclusively use pacman instead. The principle is simple: Always favor the official and supported tools of the package system of your distribution. Do not implicitly trust third-arty tools the task of managing your system. In particular when we are talking of yaourt, the worst of the entire bunch (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Comparison_table).

• so i am back after doing handmade pizza with my doughter and her friends, and @keegan go reinstall everything ;)

pacman --needed -S - < packages-list.txt is what i do

for AUR packages it is a bit tricky:

cat packages-AUR.txt | xargs yaourt -S --needed --noconfirm

• b.t.w. http://kamprad.net/howto-installing-antergos/ here i give a howto on reinstalling from packages lists…

Recovery?

A good option for backup system is to backup a packages list with all packages from your actual system, but be carefull with AUR packages, you will need to do two lists one for repository packages and one for AUR packages, otherwise it will be a mess…

Creating packages lists:

pacman -Qqen > packages-repository.txt
    pacman -Qqem > packages-AUR.txt

restore this:

pacman --needed -S - < packages-repository.txt

cat packages-AUR.txt | xargs yaourt -S --needed --noconfirm

• @Krugar said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

But in the future, please avoid using aur helpers. Use them only and exclusively for installing and updating AUR packages. Do not even use them to uninstall packages from AUR.

Good advice😀. Thank you.

• @joekamprad said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

so i am back after doing handmade pizza with my doughter and her friends

Fun! It’s nice to hear of things like this ;).I, on the other hand, just got back from mowing the lawn.

and @keegan go reinstall everything ;)

hehehe😄. It is rather a mess right now, isn’t it?

you will need to do two lists one for repository packages and one for AUR packages, otherwise it will be a mess…

Good point. I had not thought of that. I’ll do so right away😀.

• It appears my power button got bumped in the middle of my install. Can I still use my old /home folder, or is it damaged now? I did NOT format it, if that helps

Thanks!

• Well, I think I’m giving it a go😀.

Thank you everyone.

• if you set up your home to keep and do not format, it will be untouched also on a powerloss.

• Perfect😀. Thank you @joekamprad for offering me some sweet, desperately needed relief here. I was a bit worried!

• @joekamprad said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

pacman --needed -S - < packages-list.txt

I am in love!
    Much, so much more elegant than my proposed comm. Thanks for that.

• And now after nearing the end of my re-installation, I get this:

“Can’t install necessary packages. Cnchi can’t continue.”
    Please reference the following number when reporting this error: 76313

Any ideas?

• @Keegan said in Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.:

Any ideas?

Try again :p
    I have no idea what the error can be…

grub111 detected14 syntax3 generated1 Posts 97Views 7773
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.