• Nvidia driver and Kernel update problem

Not sure if it falls under this thread but it seems close enough.

I was on the current EOL Kernel. (Still have it as one of a few)

Got a Nvidia update in the manager requires 4.13-1, so I tried Xen and Hardened kernel builds and both failed. Had a few hours to spare so it’s obviously custom kernel time. I decide on mainline 4.14.0-rc2 (append ARCH naturally) it fails however its just grey screen with mouse cursor (sound familiar?). I go back to 4.12.3-1 and uninstall Nvidia and install Nouveau, followed with a reboot. Success! the 4.14 kernel loaded just fine. On my DE I go on over to package manager and search to reinstall Nvidia drivers because a 1024x768 reso just doesn’t cut it. … !! Welcome to dependency hell. Nvidia requires 4.13 while i’m on 4.14 (okay then been here before).

Anyway, I’m sure there’s a few workarounds but I thought this might be interesting to whoever reads it.

• @spectralglitch said in Kernel got EOL:

Nvidia update in the manager

Do you have testing enabled??? nvidia is last updated on 5.9.17…
    https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/nvidia/

!!! nvidia mainline driver needs to be updated after kernel (or together) it only runs with the kernel it is build on.
    For custom kernel use nvidia-dkms package.
    !!!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @spectralglitch There is some problem with my AMD GPU with 4.13.3-1, too. My screen will flicker frequently, can we install the 4.14 kernel in pamac?

• @s9209122222 has nothing to do with this problem! as user have the wrong driver installed for the coosen kernel…

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Although they are different problems, installing the 4.14.0-rc2-mainline kernel solves the flickering problem, it is so unbelievable that a rc kernel is better than a stable kernel.

Posts 5Views 140