• Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559

Hello,

I’m having issues getting Antergos installed on my Dell Inspiron 15 7559. The live boot doesn’t work unless I start it with “nouveau.modeset=0”. Then, I’m able to install it because the live boot completes. Unfortunately, after installing, I can’t boot at all (at least graphically, I can do a non-graphical boot). I get a black screen after passing the Antergos boot menu (where you choose between regular and advanced boot). Adding “nouveau.modeset=0” at that point does not result in boot finishing. It always just goes to a black screen.

During installation, I chose to install the nvidia proprietary driver. Could this have to do with this? I’ve struggled with getting Antergos running on this laptop for months now, and I’m pretty sure I tried installing with and without the proprietary driver before, to this same result.

I can get Ubuntu installed and booting on it, as long as I boot it with “nouveau.modeset=0”.

• Solved my own problem. I learned in an article from the wiki, that the forum won’t let me post the link to because it thinks it’s spam, that I should not have installed the proprietary driver during boot.

My goal is to not use the nvidia graphics in my Linux boot at all. I’ll save that for my Windows boot for games. So I don’t need to use Bumblebee etc. I went into a non-graphical boot and uninstalled the “nvidia” package. Then, I could boot, but trying to login resulted in a black screen with the cursor. For some reason, booting was still trying to use nouveau drivers, even though I chose not to install them during installation of Antergos. So I also added the “nouveau.modeset=0” GRUB boot parameter. It finally worked. I can boot and log in successfully.

• A few notes about Nvidia Optimus, Bumblebee, nouveau.

1. Bumblebee installation doesn’t mean automatic use of Nvidia card. By contrary, Bumblebee’s default behaviour is to always run on Intel GPU and never use Nvidia GPU. Thus, helping to achieve the main Bumblebee goal - power saving.

2. Enabling or disabling proprietary graphic drivers installation in Cnchi doesn’t have any effect on nouveau driver installation for Nvidia cards, whether they are Optimus or not.

3. Single-GPU and double-GPU Nvidia are very different one from another types of cards. The drivers which work for the former don’t work for the latter, and vice versa.

4. If a computer has Nvidia card of any type, Cnchi always installs nouveau driver, independently from whether proprietary graphic drivers installation option is enabled or disabled. It may be good for single-GPU Nvidia cards - the driver may work for them. It is almost always bad for double-GPU (hybrid) Nvidia Optimus cards - nouveau almost never works for them.

5. If proprietary graphic drivers installation is enabled in Cnchi, it installs drivers for single-GPU Nvidia cards only. Such cards work with installed Nvidia drivers. They never work for double-GPU (hybrid) Nvidia cards. Optimus computers fail to boot into graphical DE with them.

6. If proprietary graphic drivers installation is disabled, then only nouveau is installed on Nvidia computers. If proprietary graphic drivers installation is enabled, then nouveau and proprietary drivers for single-GPU Nvidia cards are installed.

7. To get a nicely working Optimus system, removing the harmful software may be a more direct way than trying to bypass it. No additional kernel boot parameters are needed if nouveau is removed with:

sudo pacman -Rcnsu xf86-video-nouveau

8. On Optimus computers it’s enough and sufficient to have only xf86-video-intel installed. It guarantees that the system will always boot into graphical DE, will always run on Intel GPU only, and will never try to use Nvidia GPU.

All these is described in Antergos Wiki here.

Edit

Antergos offers the excellent nvidia-installer utility. Once nouveau is removed and only xf86-video-intel remains, it may be used to install proprietary Nvidia drivers for both single- and double-GPU Nvidia.

It has only one weak point - it can’t manage BIOS settings on computers, where discrete video card is controlled by BIOS. In such a case it is possible to use this approach:

• change BIOS settings as described in AnteWiki, in preparation to Nvida driver installation
    • run nvidia-installer
    • change BIOS back to the original discrete video card settings
  • Thanks for the tips.

Uninstallling the nouveau driver was actually something I tried first. Unfortunately, I get this:

[[email protected] ts-web]$ sudo pacman -Rcnsu xf86-video-nouveau
    [sudo] password for mwelke:
    error: target not found: xf86-video-nouveau

This would indicate that I do not have that driver installed at all, would it not?

Even though it appears I do not have the nouveau driver installed, I find that I still can’t finish booting my laptop into the DE unless I have the kernel boot parameter set to bypass nouveau.

• I have an Inspiron 7559 and have just successfully installed Antergos on it.

During installation you should NOT install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.

Once it is installed, you will still need to add “nouveau.modeset=0” to the boot parameters in order for it to successfully boot.

After I got that working, I found a way of getting the NVIDIA propriety driver installed using the Antergos guide bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus. You should be able to find it by searching on Google.

These are the commands I entered:

sudo pacman -Rc xf86-video-nouveau

then

sudo yaourt -Syyua

then

sudo pacman -S bumblebee mesa xf86-video-intel nvidia lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-virtualgl nvidia-settings bbswitch

then

sudo gpasswd -a $USER bumblebee

then

sudo gpasswd -a $USER video

then

sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed.service

And finally, this is the important part (which I didn’t find in other guides). You need to change a line in /etc/default/grub since the Inspiron 7559 has a GeForce 960m.

Open up /etc/default/grub using sudo in the command line:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

And then scroll down to the line that says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and change it so that it reads:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2015\""

(make sure there is no # in front)
    Then save the file by pressing Ctrl + o and then exit the text editor using Ctrl + x.
    Finally, enter this command in the terminal:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

When you reboot, that should work. It will run everything on the Intel graphics chip by default. If you have an app that needs the discrete graphics card, then you can run that app from the terminal by putting optirun in front. For example:

optirun firefox

The only remaining problem is that when I run something on the NVIDIA graphics chip, there is screen tearing… Not sure how to fix that.

• @laurentrepond said in Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

Once it is installed, you will still need to add “nouveau.modeset=0”…

It is a wrong parameter. The correct one to use is:

modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

• @laurentrepond
    Thanks for that detailed guide! I think the information discovered and shared in this thread should be copied into a page on the Arch Wiki for the Inspiron 7559 laptop. It has no information there right now (I think I saw most of the Dell info stopped around the 5000 series) and I’m sure, given what I a deal this laptop was in 2015-2016, that there are many Linux users with it who would love to get Arch running smoothly on it.

• @mattwelke said in Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

I think the information discovered and shared in this thread should be copied into a page on the Arch Wiki…

It is present in Antergos Wiki since 2015 in the Bumblebee for NVIDIA Optimus article.

• @just said in Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

@mattwelke said in Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

I think the information discovered and shared in this thread should be copied into a page on the Arch Wiki…

It is present in Antergos Wiki since 2015

Unfortunately, the Antergos Wiki has been down for at least the past week or so. That’s one of the reasons I ended up here.

0_1507096109485_antergos-wiki.png

But when it’s back online I’ll check it out and make sure there’s a clear link between the 7559 and the Bumblebee graphics article. One of my problems was that I had no idea my problem had anything to do with Bumblebee. All I knew was that I was always able to use Ubuntu, Fedora etc on my laptop, but that for some reason I couldn’t get Antergos to boot. It was baffling.

• @mattwelke said in Black screen after fresh install during boot on Dell Inspiron 15 7559:

But when it’s back online I’ll check it out and make sure there’s a clear link between the 7559 and the Bumblebee graphics article.

There’s no such a link for sure. The article is about Bumblebee and Optimus cards in general, not about problems solving on particular laptops models. Your posts don’t even mention the graphic card in use.

One of my problems was that I had no idea my problem had anything to do with Bumblebee.

The problem is not Bumblebee but nouveau video driver. The article explains how to get rid of nouveau and the problems it causes.

Remove nouveau, do not install Bumblebee, run all the time on Intel, and you’ll never encounter any problem on Optimus.

All I knew was that I was always able to use Ubuntu, Fedora etc on my laptop, but that for some reason I couldn’t get Antergos to boot.

Arch and Antergos give much more than Ubuntu and Fedora - at a cost of learning how to get the max from the hardware.

It was baffling.

It was only a lack of information. You’ve learned a little piece now. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Posts 10Views 367