• Grub recognition error? - RESOLVED

Four HD. Grub 2 is installed on my main drive along with xubuntu. I also have an arch install on another drive and have just installed Antergos on a third. I saw a warning pop-up in Cnchi during install that said there may be a problem with grub. I thought this was because I opted not to install grub through Cnchi. After install finish and reboot, I booted into Xubuntu and ran grub-update. On my next reboot, I see Antergos and Arch in the Grub menu, but choosing Antergos boots me into Arch. I’m pretty sure Grub said they were on separate hard drives, but I’m not 100%. I can confirm if necessary. Any ideas?

• Four HD. Grub 2 is installed on my main drive along with xubuntu. I also have an arch install on another drive and have just installed Antergos on a third. I saw a warning pop-up in Cnchi during install that said there may be a problem with grub. I thought this was because I opted not to install grub through Cnchi. After install finish and reboot, I booted into Xubuntu and ran grub-update. On my next reboot, I see Antergos and Arch in the Grub menu, but choosing Antergos boots me into Arch. I’m pretty sure Grub said they were on separate hard drives, but I’m not 100%. I can confirm if necessary. Any ideas?

• Hi,

Please post the contents of /boot/grub.grub.cfg and also the output from"

sudo blkid

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• That error from Cnchi is expected. It and all of the related installers such as Thus throw that error if you un-check installing a boot loader. I really haven’t run into a distro yet that well handles not installing a boot loader. In this UEFI world I’d prefer to let rEFInd handle providing my boot choice but you’re better off handling that yourself manually if you want it.

Is your system UEFI based? Are your disks set up using GPT? You don’t have a mix of GPT and MBR disks do you? If you have UEFI have you set you system to legacy or CSM boot? And lastly can you reboot and pass on any exact error messages or issues that happen? If you do have UEFI, what is the boot order shown by the efibootmgr command and what does that translate to on your system? You’ll see a string of numbers on the boot order line and below that it shows what distro corresponds to what number.

• Hi Sorry just getting back.

I ran grub-mkconfig from on the xubuntu install and then update-grub and the problem was resolved. Thanks for the help.

• @“aikidouke”:2cng7gsd said:

Hi Sorry just getting back.

I ran grub-mkconfig from on the xubuntu install and then update-grub and the problem was resolved. Thanks for the help.[/quote:2cng7gsd]
    Just an FYI. There is one line in update-grub. The grub-mkconfig command.

• Glad to see it’s resolved

Cheers!

Posts 7Views 1109