• Random Freezing on Laptop and Desktop...?

Both Laptop and Desktop are freezing/crashing out of nothing on Plasma 5…
    Sometimes even when I use Firefox … ><

I have noticed that this is happening when I stress out my PC a bit like compile things or open many tabs on firefox with scripts etc.
    When this happens Mouse is not moving and sometimes is start moving very very slowly.
    I wonder if its something with the Kernel. Also both kernels LTS and 4.12 are freezing both pcs.
    I have searched the forums and I saw that other people as well are having such problems with Antergos but no solution yet.

Have in mind that if I boot on Manjaro I dont have any of these problems so is not hardware related.

• @kyrisk said

freezing/crashing out of nothing on Plasma 5…
    Sometimes even when I use Firefox …

Unfortunately, Firefox is a cause for freezes, especially when loaded. I have got rid of freezes by stopping using it.
    Try another browser. I use Falkon (the ex-qupzilla) which has recently became part of the KDE project). or Chromium, with no freezes at all.
    For KDE crashes. I have noticed that most of the times this happens when I get a new updates notification by pamac. I don t really know if the said app is the culprit or the overload of the system. I really need to uninstall it and check this out.
    But when the crashes are not instant, I do have some time to watch via my conky the plasma shell growing from its normal 190+ MBs to some 700MBs and a core dumping before it dies out. (it sometimes restores itself, though).
    A workaround: You can install *latte dock, from AUR. Since it works independetly from plasma shell you will be able to continue to work without the need of plasma shell. Just transfer there your fav apps or even your whole apps table.
    Alternatively, you can tranfer the single poweroff/reboot/logout/suspend button there, so you can spare yourself the time of going through the tty screen.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Just for sake of clarification have been running Antergos XFCE on two machine for a few weeks and have never had a freeze, nor have ever experienced a freeze on any Linux distribution. That being said have never really used KDE.

Point being KDE seems to be more prone to things like this than XFCE, LXDE, LXQT, Gnome, or most other desktops.

Majaro KDE probably works because they are holding back or edited a problematic new KDE package.

• Starting on 10/01/2017 the plasma shell hangs after the first click of the mouse after logon. Besides daily updates I have not made any changes or added widgets in months, and everything did work fine up to this point. It does not matter what I click on, as soon as I do, the mouse bogs down and can not keep up. Every once in a while it moves freely again, and then screws up again. Everything acts this way: all programs I have tried using can not keep up with mouse or keyboard input, open really slow (20 seconds or more) typing appears seconds later, and closing the aps takes even longer. The whole system acts like a 386 from 1982 with 16MB of RAM trying to run Windows XP!:confounded:

I am writing this from another user logon, and everything is fine, but I really need to fix this because the affected user account is for my business.:anguished:

I have looked high and low for what Plasma configuration files to nuke, but as usual most of the info is old and refers to files and folders not used in this version of plasma. So far the only one I found was .Xauthority, but deleting it did not change a thing. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :cry:

The flazzum you spizz, the zoider you splat!

• @Zoidmo said in Random Freezing on Laptop and Desktop...?:

Starting on 10/01/2017 the plasma shell hangs after the first click of the mouse after logon. Besides daily updates I have not made any changes or added widgets in months, and everything did work fine up to this point. It does not matter what I click on, as soon as I do, the mouse bogs down and can not keep up. Every once in a while it moves freely again, and then screws up again. Everything acts this way: all programs I have tried using can not keep up with mouse or keyboard input, open really slow (20 seconds or more) typing appears seconds later, and closing the aps takes even longer. The whole system acts like a 386 from 1982 with 16MB of RAM trying to run Windows XP!
    I am writing this from another user logon, and everything is fine, but I really need to fix this because the affected user account is for my business.
    I have looked high and low for what Plasma configuration files to nuke, but as usual most of the info is old and refers to files and folders not used in this version of plasma. So far the only one I found was .Xauthority, but deleting it did not change a thing.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

After some research I have found out that baloo indexer is causing to some people these issues so can you try removing/disabling baloo indexer and let me know if that fixed your issues ???

Here is a small bash script to make it easier for you…

#!/bin/bash -x

neuter the thing

balooctl disable
    rm /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/akonadi_baloo_indexer
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/baloo
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor
    rm /usr/bin/baloosearch
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloosearch
    rm /usr/bin/balooshow
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/balooshow

kill all remaining baloo processes

ps -ax | grep baloo | grep -v grep | awk ‘{print $1}’ | xargs kill -9

and just to be sure…

rm /usr/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop

remove trash. replace /home/user/ with your ~ here

rm -rf /home/user/.local/share/baloo

• #!/bin/bash -x
    # neuter the thing
    balooctl disable
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/baloo
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_cleaner
    rm /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloo_file_extractor
    rm /usr/bin/baloosearch
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/baloosearch
    rm /usr/bin/balooshow
    ln -s /bin/true /usr/bin/balooshow
    # kill all remaining baloo processes
    ps -ax | grep baloo | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' | xargs kill -9
    # and just to be sure...
    rm /usr/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop
    # remove trash. replace /home/user/ with your ~ here
    rm -rf /home/user/.local/share/baloo

• @kyrisk

Well I don’t know what Baloo Indexer is, but it does seam to be installed.

Can’t I just uninstall it instead? My system is unresponsive in one user account, will all of the above fix the other user account if I do it from this one?

• Well I took the risk, changed the username in the last line to the effected user account, but no dice:

A. it can not remove anything (Permission Denied)
    B. /usr/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop’: No such file or directory (I have no autostart directory there).

Which probably means that It does not auto start anyway (I have never seen it in my auto start section in system settings), so that is probably not what is screwing Plasma up.:confounded:

• @kyrisk where do you get this script from? I would only warn about removing something under /usr/bin by hand under a system with package management! !!!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    http://gofccyourself.com
    my-blog#k
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Random Freezing on Laptop and Desktop...?:

@kyrisk where do you get this script from? I would only warn about removing something under /usr/bin by hand under a system with package management!

I think got this script from somewhere in arch forums while I was searching to find out how to stop baloo Indexer and saved it in my files. (unfortunately I dont have the source)

• @Zoidmo said in Random Freezing on Laptop and Desktop...?:

Well I took the risk, changed the username in the last line to the effected user account, but no dice:
    A. it can not remove anything (Permission Denied)
    B. /usr/share/autostart/baloo_file.desktop’: No such file or directory (I have no autostart directory there).
    Which probably means that It does not auto start anyway (I have never seen it in my auto start section in system settings), so that is probably not what is screwing Plasma up.

You need root access to remove or disable anything. Without root access this script will not work.

• @kyrisk

I was using root privileges (Sudo), and again baloo doesn’t even auto-start at all on my system, so baloo has nothing to do with my problem.

• Here are the logs, maybe these will help.[0_1506958691110_logs-2017-02-10_11-33-35.tar](Uploading 100%)

Looks like I don’t have enough privileges to upload log’s here! :no_mouth:

• Well, once again strange things happen :astonished: : I was going through the logs copied by the script, and found the wrong username inside, so I logged on to the busted account to run the script from there, and the problem seems to be gone (For now at least).

I did install two updates, none of which I think could have anything to do with it, so who knows? I don’t believe in ghost’s! :scream:

I just hope everything stays stable.

desktop14 random8 laptop35 freezing6 Posts 15Views 661