• Installing with UEFI

Hello,
    I’m hoping someone can shed light on this. (Apologies in advance if this is really dumb question.)

I have a low end, two year old HP laptop I decided to try installing Antergos on to. It boots with UEFI. Based on the installation instructions in the wiki, I believe this means the GUI menu for installer doesn’t work. (Is that correct?) As such, I get the following text menu when I boot into the installer:

Antergos x86_64
    Antergos x86_64 (Non-Graphical Fallback)
    Antergos x86_64 (NVIDIA Fallback)
    UEFI Shell x86_64 v1
    UEFI Shell x86_64 v2
    EFI Default Loader
    Reboot Into Firmware Interface

Unfortunately, that’s as far as a I get for most options.

• The Antergos x86_64 option just leads to a blank screen. As far as I can tell, nothing happens after this.
    • The Antergos x86_64 (Non-Graphical Fallback) option lets me know it fails.
    • The laptop in question doesn’t have an NVidia card, so option 3 obviously isn’t relevant.
    • The two shell options seem to go somewhere, but I’m just dropped into a shell with no filesystem or any idea of what to do next. I tried googling ‘antergos uefi shell’ but I just get a few unhelpful and/or irrelevant troubleshooting threads in this forum. It seems weird to me that these options would have no documentation…

Ubuntu’s installer works just fine with this laptop and so does even Manjaro, so it doesn’t seem like it’s broken or anything. And, it doesn’t have secure boot enabled, so that’s not the issue either. I’m using a USB install medium I wrote to using dd on another Linux machine. I’ve successfully used the USB stick on another machine, so the installer seems to be working too. As far as I can tell, UEFI is the only variable in this equation.

I’ve tried looking up this problem, but either my google-fu isn’t up to the task or people don’t have this problem much. Do people just forgo UEFI all together? Am I just missing some step people are supposed to take?

EDIT: Spotted a few typos.

• Hi,

That’s odd. Which graphics card do you have?

Which iso are you using?

• It’s an Atom Z36xxx/Z37xxx system.

I’m using ‘Antergos Live ISO’.

• Is that a 64bit processor?

• Yes, it is.

• Just for information, could you show the output of command
    inxi -GC

• $ inxi -GC
    Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
    CPU:       Dual core Intel Celeron N2840 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
               clock speeds: max: 2582 MHz 1: 1548 MHz 2: 1194 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
               Display Server: N/A driver: i915 tty size: 80x24

• Well… it just was a wild guess.

Intel Graphics Card should work ootb, so as you have guessed it must be some UEFI booting problem.

Sometimes UEFI can take a loooooong time to boot, I’m not saying that’s your case, but did you try to wait a little bit? (with the Antergos x86_64 option).

Did you try to got to a console? After booting, wait a little bit, if nothing shows up press CTRL+ALT+F2 (that should work if your problem it’s something graphics related, but it does not feel like it, tbh).

Does Arch iso boot for you? We use a similar system to build our iso.

Could this be affecting you? (I’m no hardware fanboy):

Note: Intel Atom SoC systems that ship with Windows 8/8.1 32-bit provide
    32-bit UEFI-only firmware with no BIOS compatibility option (no CSM). In 
    UEFI terms these systems are called Class 3 systems (this term is not 
    specific to 32-bit), ie. UEFI-only with no BIOS CSM. These Atom SoC 
    systems are therefore called as 32-bit UEFI Class 3 systems, and these can 
    be booted only using a 32-bit UEFI bootable USB, which is not provided by
     default in Archiso (official install iso) and Archboot. These systems also 
    come with UEFI Secure Boot enabled by default, but the firmware setup 
    provides option(s) to disable Secure Boot as mandated by Microsoft for 
    x86 systems.

• @karasu

Sometimes UEFI can take a loooooong time to boot, I’m not saying that’s your case, but did you try to wait a little bit? (with the Antergos x86_64 option).

I let it go for over half an hour one time. I assume (hope) that that’s long enough to rule out a long boot time.

Did you try to got to a console? After booting, wait a little bit, if nothing shows up press CTRL+ALT+F2 …

Unfortunately, no. The only time I get a console is when I select one of the UEFI shell options.

Does Arch iso boot for you?

Yes, it does. In fact, the current OS on that laptop is regular (64 bit) Arch install.

Could this be affecting you? (I’m no hardware fanboy):

I suppose so, but wouldn’t that be odd if Archiso and Manjaro’s installer both work without any finagling?

Posts 9Views 478