• Nvidia Install Fails To Black Screen On New Release

Nvdia driver here fails to a black screen on the 26 May release.

I’ve followed the “black screen” entry in the wiki.

I’m using a Lenovo ThinkPad W530 with the Nvidia K1000M. The discrete Nvidia is enabled in BIOS and Optimus mode and the Intel are disabled.

I have seen the same behavior on straight Arch and Manjaro, across multiple kernel and driver versions.

Nvidia installs on Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu work without issue.

Any advice is really welcome.

[Xorg.0.log reports “No devices found” and “No screens founds”]

• Nvdia driver here fails to a black screen on the 26 May release.

I’ve followed the “black screen” entry in the wiki.

I’m using a Lenovo ThinkPad W530 with the Nvidia K1000M. The discrete Nvidia is enabled in BIOS and Optimus mode and the Intel are disabled.

I have seen the same behavior on straight Arch and Manjaro, across multiple kernel and driver versions.

Nvidia installs on Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu work without issue.

Any advice is really welcome.

[Xorg.0.log reports “No devices found” and “No screens founds”]

• Are you using nouveau or the closed-source Nvidia driver? have you tried enabling both cards in BIOS while leaving Optimus feature disabled? (Not all BIOS’ will allow you to differentiate between the three so just check yours and see).

Another thing you can try is adding “nomodeset i915.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0” to the kernel boot command which should allow you to boot successfully using vesafb drivers (better than problem solving from the command line

Good luck

Best Regards,
    Dustin

• @“lots.0.logs”:1qtphqf4 said:

Are you using nouveau or the closed-source Nvidia driver? have you tried enabling both cards in BIOS while leaving Optimus feature disabled?[/quote:1qtphqf4]

Trying to install the Nvidia drivers, not nouveau.

Cannot simulateneously enable the Intel and the discrete Nvidia in the W530’s BIOS. It’s either Intel or discrete Nvidia or Optimus.

Running on Intel is fine, of course. Ditto Nouveau. Don’t need or want to run in Optimus mode.

I’ve not been able to get the Nvidia drivers working, as I said, in Arch, Manjaro or Antergos. The behavior is the same: reboot to black screen and most often, dead keyboard.

I’ve been through the wikis and forums of all three distributions, plus Google, plus Nvidia’s dev’s forum, trying anything that seemed remotely appropriate. Nothing has even affected that behavior: It always reboots into a black screen and the logs say “No devices detected” and “No screens found”, while lsmod does show the nvidia module is loaded. Different kernel and driver versions have no impact.

Getting Nvidia running on Fedora, Wheezy and Ubuntu and its derivatives is easy and reliable. I have to assume something unique to the Arch-family’s handling of Nvidia is causing these failures.

• I don’t have much experience with Nvidia but it seems that the drivers require manual intervention upon each new kernel release in order to work properly. I imagine that if you were you running kernel 3.14.4 on Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. you would have similar issues. Most users that I have interacted with say that nouveau is more stable with no real noticeable performance loss. But I’m also not a “gamer” so don’t take my word for it

Cheers!

• @“lots.0.logs”:1ggs7rdk said:

I don’t have much experience with Nvidia but it seems that the drivers require manual intervention upon each new kernel release in order to work properly. I imagine that if you were you running kernel 3.14.4 on Ubuntu, Fedora, etc. you would have similar issues. Most users that I have interacted with say that nouveau is more stable with no real noticeable performance loss. But I’m also not a “gamer” so don’t take my word for it

Cheers![/quote:1ggs7rdk]

I’m not a gamer, either, but I’ve found the Nvidia drivers deliver preferable 2D performance on this machine.

A very long thread at Nvidia’s development forum, running for months snce last autumn, contains reports about this 'black screen" behavior from many Arch and Arch-derivative users, along with a sprinkling from other distributions. They cover a range of kernels from 3.9 to the current releases. (That’s in line with my own experience. I’m currently using Ubuntu with their 3.13.0-24 kernel and Nvidia 331.38 with no problems; ditto on Fedora)

The consensus of the thread seems to be that something specific and different about Arch’s kernel configuration is responsible. Nvidia, however, has posted to the thread saying a kernel ACPI bug is responsible and that they will not patch their driver to accommodate it. Perhaps, then, differences in kernel build configs between Arch and other distros account for this problem affecting users of Arch and Arch-derivatives.

Whatever the cause, the problem is real and primarily impacts Arch.

In many respects, it is similar to a problem of about 3 years ago when the combination of a specific Nouveau release, kernels in the 3.2 series, and certain Nvidia cards would lock up and fail to a black screen when X attempted to launch. I wasn’t able to use any Nvidia drivers until the 3.3 kernels.

Pity. The new Antergos release is lovely.

Posts 6Views 1881