• Another graphics issue (not serious though)

Hi,
    I have an oldish laptop with GeForce 330M and it has also Intel card with i915 driver in use. The laptop works well with i915 driver, but the other card doesn’t seem to work at all (and I’ve blacklisted its drivers because of that).

But I’d like to use the other card, mostly just to see if it gives any better performance (as it should). I’ve seen many instructions on the web (mostly at archlinux), but so far haven’t been able to get the card working at all (as far as I can tell). I tried nouveau, nvidia, nvidia-340xx, nvidia-304xx and bumblebee but without luck. With nouveau the laptop didn’t crash but used only Intel. With all nvidia’s the laptop either crashed, or showed black screen with a working mouse so that I could go to tty to recover. Maybe the card was actually in use, but didn’t really work that well.

As you can see, I’m not very familiar with graphics cards and their drivers.

Does anybody have any ideas how to make the other card work?

• @manuel said in Another graphics issue (not serious though):

…Does anybody have any ideas how to make the other card work?

If not already done so, try to take a look at this AnteWiki article.

• @just
    Thanks for the reply!
    I already tried that link before, and tried it again now being extra careful to read the instructions - and again with no luck.
    Looks like I’m going to stick with Intel for now, fortunately that is not a problem.

Looks like I’m going to stick with Intel for now, fortunately that is not a problem.

Antergos and the Wiki entry mentioned above allowed me to use my secondary graphics at decent quality for the first time.

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
               bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 930M] bus-ID: 01:00.0

Could you please check out my game?

• @piotr
    My card is much older, maybe it is not supported somehow.
    But I’ll keep searching as there still are some ideas not yet tried.

That’s Ok. Out of curiosity, could you share more details about your graphic card, as @piotr did above? Run the command:

inxi -Gxzc0

• @just
    Here we go:

$ inxi -Gxzc0
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
               Card-2: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
               Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3 ) drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
               Resolution: [email protected]
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.0 Direct Render: Yes

Card-2: NVIDIA GT216M [GeForce GT 330M]

It explains the mystery.

Nvidia has fully implmented Optimus technology starting from 4xxM series. Earlier series didn’t have complete Optimus support.

That is why Bumblebee applies to Nvidia Optimus 4xxM and higher. It doesn’t work for lower series.

I’m sorry.

• @just
    That’s what I was afraid of. I saw that the instructions I tested were for newer cards but tried them anyway. Ok, the Intel driver works well and I can manage without nVidia.
    Thanks for your time and trouble for confirming the issue!

Posts 9Views 235