• Two Antergos in the same pc

Can you install two DE Antergos on the same PC? (Example: Antergos Cinnamon and Antergos Deepin).
    ¿Se puede instalar dos escritorios de Antergos en un mismo PC? (Ejemplo: Antergos Canela y Antergos Deepin).

Aprendiendo que no es poco

• @Velkerk said in Two Antergos in the same pc:

Can you install two DE Antergos on the same PC?

Each of 5 laptops here holds 8 independent one from another Antergos systems.

• 4 in Production

• Plasma
      • Cinnamon
      • Mate
      • Gnome
    • 4 in Testing

• Plasma
      • Cinnamon
      • Mate
      • Gnome

The answer is yes, it is more than possible.

• @Velkerk
    Why do you ask? Have you had any problems?

• @manuel
    For simple curiosity. I have always had two linux distributions on the pc. Antergos-KDE, Manjaro-Cinnamon; Antergos-Cinnamon, Calculate Linux; Antergos-Gnome, Deepin, …
    I have never had two DE Antergos.
    How does it appear in the grub?
    . Antergos
    . Fallback antergos
    . Antergos
    . Fallback antergos

Por simple curiosidad. Yo siempre he tenido dos distribuciones linux en el pc. Antergos-KDE, Manjaro-Cinnamon; Antergos-Cinnamon, Calculate Linux; Antergos-Gnome, Deepin,…
    Yo nunca he tenido dos DE Antergos.
    ¿Cómo aparece en el grub?
    . Antergos
    . Antergos fallback
    . Antergos
    . Antergos fallback

• @Velkerk

Good question. That’s probably what will happen. I think grub doesn’t care if more than one menuentry option group has the same name string and will run just fine.

To “fix that” you can change the entry strings in grub menu after installing the last one. You do this by editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom IIRC. That’s where your menu entries are stored. You then need to regenerate the grub menu with grub-mkconfig. I am presently on an Arch, machine not Antergos. So I am not exactly sure of the details since I can’t search for them.

• @Krugar said in Two Antergos in the same pc:

You then need to regenerate the grub menu with grub-mkconfig

just want to add to your answer…
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @Velkerk
    You may write a new file /boot/grub/custom.cfg, where you put all the entries that you want to use. This file is independent of the grub-mkconfig command. You can also make changes to /etc/default/grub to save the system you booted so that next time you will, by default, boot to the same system.

But that custom.cfg, here’s an example of an entry:

menuentry "Antergos LTS" {
      set mylabel="Antergos"
      set kernelversion="linux-lts"
      savedefault
      insmod part_gpt          # you may not need this line
      search --set --no-floppy --label "$mylabel"
      linux /boot/vmlinuz-"$kernelversion" root=LABEL="$mylabel" rw quiet
      initrd /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-"$kernelversion".img
    }

You may write as many entries as you wish. So just write entries and reboot!

In the example above, I used labels to identify a partition, and you can use UUIDs and device names as well.

• @Velkerk
    Please forgive me my ignorance, but what do you mean by “DE Antergos”?

• @manuel Two facilities, clean, new on the same pc. (example: Antergos-Cinnamon and Antergos-Deepin)

• @Velkerk
    Still confused, didn’t you say that you already have several installations on the same PC, but asked if it is possible to have two?
    Maybe this is just a language problem, I’m not natively English and I believe you are not either… :)

• @manuel said in Two Antergos in the same pc:

Still confused, didn’t you say that you already have several installations on the same PC, but asked if it is possible to have two?

Basically, I think @Velkerk meant that he aready has several OS’s on his pc. However, if he installed Antergos-Deepin and Antergos-Cinnamon in addition, he would have two copies of the same OS, just different DEs of it to pick from in Grub.

P.S. it’s similar to installing two DEs to pick from at the login manager, it’s just that this way, the two DEs will be separated a bit more as different installations, and thus less of a chance that the two DEs will conflict with one another.

Hope this all helps!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Hi friend i just tested my unofficial installer:
    I installed my iso in one hd and antergos in another

OBS1: the first using the .iso, and the second using the installed system
    OBS2: installed grub at first install and didn’t install grub with cnchi

Then i booted my first hd and typed sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg >>rebooted and here is wha appears:

0_1506036664472_E2ThCWb.png

The second “Arch” is Antergos actually hehehe

EDIT: My iso is build using archiso, so it’s “Arch”, but grub-mkconfig seems to be unable to detect Antergos as “Antergos”

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

Posts 12Views 292