• Manjaro 17.0.5

Manjaro changed from version 17.0.4 to version 17.0.5 in two days. What was the reason?

Aprendiendo que no es poco

• Now we are proud to announce v17.0.5, a bugfix release of Gellivara, and hopefully our last releases for real this time.

The same was written about 17.0.2, 17.0.3 and 17.0.4.

Could you please check out my game?

• @Velkerk That’s their way of announcing updates, over here we’ll get those updates every day without a show. As you’re interested in Deepin , just install Manjaro Deepin and you’ll see how they update.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in my experience their bulk update eventually breaks the system and you don’t know what or which update broke it.

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @bpoerwo said in Manjaro 17.0.5:

That’s their way of announcing updates, over here we’ll get those updates every day without a show.

Nope. Manjaro gets updates on the daily basis. Those “releases” represent refreshed ISOs to download.

• But they are holding the daily updates back and release them later. You’re right about the ISO refresh releases, I forgot about that one, my mistake.:wink:

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

…Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in my experience their bulk update eventually breaks the system and you don’t know what or which update broke it.

It’s not only your experience. The same has many times happened here in the past. I was looking for a stable Arch-based system for my 80yo dad. A system which I shouldn’t re-install for him every N months. I’ve choosen Manjaro. It turned to be a disaster, after each 2nd or 3rd bulk upgrade.

In my experience, Manjaro is the least stable among Arch and its derivatives - Arch itself, Antergos, Revenge, Bluestar.

PS. Dad runs Tumbleweed for 3 years now, wihout a problem.

But they are holding the daily updates back and release them later.

True. They come in “stable” and “testing” updates once several days.

• @just My 80 year old dad is running Antergos, without a problem.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

@just My 80 year old dad is running Antergos, without a problem.

:) Unfortunately, daily Arch | Antergos upgrades are not for him. He prefers two or three weekly Tumbleweed upgrades.

• @Velkerk said in Manjaro 17.0.5:

What was the reason?

in manjaro 17.0.5 they fix installation on btrfs

• @joksik said in Manjaro 17.0.5:

in manjaro 17.0.5 they fix installation on btrfs

On both my home machines installation of every kind has been broken since 17.0.2. :)

• i remember that in 17.0.2 was bug with password protection in 17.0.3 was bug with graphics and now they fix 2 bugs in calmares (btrfs and language locale)

• @joksik
    That password bug was from Arch if I remember correctly, so also Antergos may have experienced that.

• That’s correct, a couple of months ago we had an alert to change the password. It only concerned users who installed Antergos a specific time (somewhere in the line of March and April I believe.)

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• Sadly, I do not have any Manjaro horror stories to share:disappointed:. I went with Antergos from the beginning! But why is it that Manjaro has such a reputation for being “stable” compared to Arch if it is so liable to brake?

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Beats me, but in my case in hindsight if I were using Manjaro now, with the knowledge I have today, I think I would be able to keep it running. The thing is, that their community is larger than ours, but when you ask a question you won’t get the support like in here.
    I’ve honestly learned a heck lot more about Arch and using the command line these last 6 months using Antergos then 10 months Manjaro.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

but when you ask a question you won’t get the support like in here.

In which sense? (I just want to understand what do you like from our community).

EDIT: Ups… somebody will blame me of going offtopic… :grin:

• @karasu said in Manjaro 17.0.5:

In which sense? (I just want to understand what do you like from our community).

You’ll be given plenty of answers, but sometimes none of them answers the question you asked. Happens on each forum, nothing Manjaro-specific. :) However, I must admit that replies I received there to my last question only proved that nobody read the question from the beginning to the very end. :)

• It’s more direct. For example last December I couldn’t boot my system due to a large update. I asked for help and send in screenshots of the point where it hanged and I got ignored Together with 5 other users who had the same problem, because we were one of the few who had this problem.
    The thing that made me angry was that Philip Mueller was answering and supporting someone else in my thread with an entirely other problem. So I asked politely if he could see into my problem, but got ignored again.
    Over here there are a lot of people who will help you till the end.
    That’s how I became an Antergos user.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @Keegan said in Manjaro 17.0.5:

Sadly, I do not have any Manjaro horror stories to share. I went with Antergos from the beginning! But why is it that Manjaro has such a reputation for being “stable” compared to Arch if it is so liable to brake?

I think it has more to do with anecdotal bias than it has to do with any statistical evidence indicating that Manjaro is unstable. I mean, for sure, if I ran Manjaro for 3 months and it broke down on me after the third update, I’d be tempted to say that running Manjaro is like jogging on the Tacoma Bridge. When in fact my own experience may have only amounted to a tiny percentage of such cases… and who knows, maybe not even to do with Manjaro, but with my hardware or some error of my own.

EDIT:
    Just edited the post to make it clear I was replying to Keegan’s post.
    Cheers.

17.0.51 manjaro10 Posts 30Views 812