• Pamac looks great!!

@ Krugar
    Thank you for the hint on pkgbrowser.
    This is a great tool. Pkgbrowser is showing all you need to know about any available package. It is much more informative than tkpacman or pamac.
    So my best choices of grafical package helpers now are pkgbrowser and kalu.

• On Elitism again
    Antergos is based on a higly eliist system. Arch linux does not provide any installer, not even a text based one. So the Arch devolopers definetly do not have the normal user in mind, but are focussed on professionals, who need to have profound knowledge of the system fundamentals. That is why we have got into this discussion on elitism.

I appreciate a lot, that distros like Antergos and Archbang provide an easier way to get into Arch. Otherwise I would have never touched any Arch system this summer.
    I like the idea to redesign Arch with the needs of us ordinary people in mind.
    But how much simplification is possible without corrupting the underlying structure of Arch?

I think pamac is a step too far. The idea to provide a tool as simple and informative as Debian’s Synaptic is good. But Synaptic only works fine with fixed Debian. With rolling Debian it can cause the same problems as pamac.

With pamac we have a paradox situation. It looks like an easy tool for beginners, just like synaptic. But to use pamac correctly, you need profound knowledge of pacman and the stumbling blocks of a rolling system. So pamac can be useful, but only for those who know what they are doing and not for beginners.

The better solution would be a graphical tool that guides throug the choices of pacman commands and then opens the terminal to perform the desired operation. That could ease package handling without corrupting it. Such a tool would be educative as well and could create more competent users.

• @Xaver said in Pamac looks great!!:

But Synaptic only works fine with fixed Debian. With rolling Debian it can cause the same problems as pamac.

and copy paste the wrong command into a terminal as root can be very harmfull to the system too ;)

What i get here mostly on a rookie is that: “he was installing Antergos, was very happy with the look and feel, the snappiness and for sure with pamac! and this easy installation if you need a new programm game e.t.c… Then one day he want to install a special program, to do a project or so… and very bad! pamac fails, or it simple do not run after installation… he goes to Antergos Forum and ask what is going wrong here? someone give him some hint, commands, information about e.t.c. and he fix the problem with the help of the community! So he get inside and take a look under the hood.”

At Linux we do not need foolproof and failsave solutions, we need a friendly, open and smart community.

• @Xaver Don’t like how Arch works? Don’t get along with what you call complicated? Want more simplicity? Use a different distribution. Fixed. This is not Ubuntu.
    J.

• @Keegan said in Pamac looks great!!:

@Jeannie____ said in Pamac looks great!!:

It lacks AUR support.

Nope! You just have to enable it ;).

Hi
    I had got enabled AUR but AUR doesn’t appear.
    Regards

• @ppsalama need also makepkg helper to be installed, pacaur or yaourt

• @ppsalama said in Pamac looks great!!:

I had got enabled AUR but AUR doesn’t appear.

The new pamac works different:
    click in search > type package name > switch to aur
    0_1505831395385_new_pamac.jpg

need also makepkg helper to be installed, pacaur or yaourt

if he uninstalled something, or came from Arch (fresh installed) is possible that something may be missing…

• Or if you do not enable AUR support on installation

• @joekamprad said in Pamac looks great!!:

Or if you do not enable AUR support on installation

Would that prevent the system to install base-devel?

• @fernandomaroto https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base-devel/
    i do not try till now… but there is no makepkg helper installed, as far as i know pamac needs yaourt or pacaur to make packages…

• @joekamprad said in Pamac looks great!!:

@fernandomaroto https://www.archlinux.org/groups/x86_64/base-devel/
    i do not try till now… but there is no makepkg helper installed, as far as i know pamac needs yaourt or pacaur to make packages…

Yes but yaourt doesn’t work without base-devel (compilers)
    Anyway this is offtopic lol, if the user @ppsalama needs help he can create a post about it…

• @fernandomaroto said in Pamac looks great!!:

The new pamac works different:
    click in search > type package name > switch to aur

Oh… thank you @fernandomaroto! I had not noticed that it was different now😀.

• Lovely design!!

• This post is deleted!
  • @Velkerk i am on your side with the new pamac… also search function is very crappy…

estoy de su lado con el nuevo pamac … también la función de búsqueda es muy malo…

I must add here that i can not see any improvement on the new design, it may looks good but a terminal can look so good too!

And as i can read on github, the plan to integrate with “snap” install (oh no!) https://snapcraft.io/docs/snaps/
    For me this is going a bit in the “manjaroalikewrongdirection” it is simple the way to produce an “appstore” with a not-fool-proof-system in the back, good to read too that there will be may a way to use the old pmac instead, and it will be developed too…

Posts 55Views 6313
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.