• Pamac looks great!!

I just installed the pamac update and I was surprised how it changed. Looks wonderful, didn’t really expect that change.
    0_1505669023162_Schermafdruk van 2017-09-17 19-21-38.png

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• Wow! Updating it right now:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Just updated it:grinning:. It looks awesome !!! I feel that now it is truly on the way to becoming a newbie friendly package manager for Arch based systems!

Yay!

• Under Plasma5, it looks alien and out of place. And the client side decoration sucks big time.
    J.

• @Jeannie____ said in Pamac looks great!!:

Under Plasma5, it looks alien and out of place. And the client side decoration sucks big time.
    J.

@jeanie some days ago i tested LXQT and had to enable gtk themes for qt, it got a better visual (i could enable dark themes etc)
    Not sure if you’ll like the idea though… Or maybe you already use gtk themes? (as far as i remember you simple hate everything that comes out gtk’s) :)
    I didn’t update my system yet, but wow! they added icons to pamac, pretty cool!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I will not use anything with client side decorations. I dislike them completely. Besides that, GTK3 is utter crap, you have to edit a gtk config file manually! to change the font size under QT DEs. One more thing I noticed in pamac: It lacks AUR support.
    J.

It lacks AUR support.

Nope! You just have to enable it ;).

One more thing I noticed in pamac: It lacks AUR support

It does have AUR support. I’d rather it didn’t.
    There’s nothing more damaging to the claim of being a beginner friendly package manager, than providing AUR support. Especially when AUR is made so easy to install from pamac that you can hardly notice you are doing it.

I was not convinced at all by this change. My reaction was, I won’t deny it, that of an old miserable git exclaiming with a sarcastic tone, “It now has pictures, yey!”

Honestly if this is what takes for people to get excited about programs like pamac, I must tell you we are in trouble. The amount of positive feedback I obversed this change took on the Manjaro forums made me feel sick to my stomach about the future of Linux. With users like these, who needs bad programmers? – Hence why, with all these feelings, I am just saving time for everyone else and just go ahead and call myself a miserable old git. ;)

The reasoning is simple really:

Instead of: Features that actually increase the usability of a package manager in a positive way, like oh-I-don’t-know making pamac actually replace pacman instead of being just a dumb package installer/uninstaller, and thus bring on to the GUI desktop the same software development principles that made Linux great (do one thing and do it well),

We choose to: Spend time on unicorns and our users even thank us for that!

• The point is that everyone has personal opinions so i won’t waste time arguing here…
    I like the idea that pamac now has pics, since is a GUI app it just fits it even more. Even small updates show me that the package is still under development and not abandonned…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• The reasoning is simple really:

Instead of: Features that actually increase the usability of a package manager in a positive way, like oh-I-don’t-know making pamac actually replace pacman instead of being just a dumb package installer/uninstaller, and thus bring on to the GUI desktop the same software development principles that made Linux great (do one thing and do it well),

That would be a real improvement!!!..So what’s stopping you from participating with the pamac devs?

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @bpoerwo said in Pamac looks great!!:

That would be a real improvement!!!..So what’s stopping you from participating with the pamac devs?

Lack of time? The fact I don’t know how to program in Vala? That I am involved in other projects already, paying my opensource dues?

What’s your point, really?

• @Jeannie____ , I don t see it allien under plasma. My settings for GTK apps are GTK2=QTCurve & GTK3= Breeze Dark

0_1505682077222_Screenshot_20170917_234539.png

@Krugar, I can see your point and agree with you for most of your remarks. I believe you have to elaborate a little bit on them, taking 2 factors under consideration:
    We live in the eye candy era and
    The vast majority of the noob-friendly Arch derivatives come (myself included) from the Ubuntu/Mint world of colorful automation and fanboism, who, in turn came from Windows (mostly).
    Personally, I use pamac as a quick refence Software Center. I find clicking on an apps name and having all its extra info (dependencies, etc) very useful. For the rest part, I feel more confident using the terminal.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• Of course it looks alien. Just look at the window decoration: No proper menu, an ugly burger button, different font size, completely different UX than QT applications.
    J.

• @Krugar The suggestion was my point, nothing more or less. I’ve read your earlier posts and to me you come across as someone who knows a thing or two about Linux. No sarcasm or hidden messages from me, that’s really not in my nature.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• Acabo de actualizar. Ahora Pamac es super chulo.
    I just updated. Now Pamac is super cool.

Aprendiendo que no es poco

• Reading all these enthusiastic comments on the new pamac design I wonder, why no one issues the functional problems of pamac.
    1.) Updating and upgrading takes forever (compared to pamac -Syu).
    2.) On my system pamac has frozen several times during upgrades and has even broken my system.
    3.) AUR support only works with small packages. I.e. it does not work with gnucash or qgis.
    4.) Pamac can perform partial upgrades without any warning.
    5.) Pamac hides what it is doing. It does not tell you, which pacman command it is going to perform.

I do agree, that beauty is important. But beauty with malfunctions is just conceited sham.

• @Xaver said in Pamac looks great!!:

…But beauty with malfunctions is just conceited sham.

+1

• @Xaver I agree with you on points 3 and 4, points 1 and 2 I have never encountered (not that I’m dismissing your claim) and point 5 could be meant that way. For people who are not interested in learning command lines, Pamac does the job and to be fair; that group of users aren’t interested in tweaking the system with little unknown apps from the AUR. The most “exciting” apps they will download from the AUR are the ones like Spotify or Google Chrome, just because their used to them or need them.
    As far as aesthetics concerns, in my opinion the division in groups and the icons makes it much more clear what app to download, certainly for the group that I described earlier. When I look in the list of users (assuming that a large percentage are actively using Antergos) and compare it with the group of regular posters, the group that doesn’t care for command lines and tweaking is a large portion in the pie of users of Antergos.
    So I do agree with most criticism on Pamac or even on any Linux app, but let’s not forget or dismiss that large group of users in our community.
    I’m not ashamed to admit that I belong to that category of users and every day I learn and understand Linux a little bit better, foremost for the very positive attitude that makes this community thrive.
    Now I’m going to be a little bit preachy, but please let’s not turn this forum into another elitist one. That’s the reason why I left the Mac forum community.

8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @bpoerwo said in Pamac looks great!!:

but please let’s not turn this forum into another elitist one

Thank you @bpoerwo:grinning:. I completely agree!

• NO ELITISM! :metal_tone2:

I would say, if a user is interested in how the system works and what is behind a GUI user will find out and for sure will get hints and information here and at the net. This is what Antergos is about, easy or hard you can have them both!

But if you only want to install something from AUR because you need a driver for make your printer work, … you wound propably will investigate hours on understanding how a PKGBUILD is working and what are the commands to use e.t.c.
    But as i ask here: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7902/yaourt-vs-pacaur-what-do-you-think
    we have to take care to offer the most secure way to make an easy way aviable.

I do like pamac for searching packages and builds, but i agree that pamac is not the perfect weapon to do everything… it should have more warnings, and may default switch to detailed view if you start building packages… and also may omit to build packages with big size e.t.c. and say:
    "try to build from terminal, it is beautiful and teaching!"
    (i like it a lot, when the build output rush over the screen, this is pure meditation!!!)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

Posts 53Views 826