• gsettings and dconf as root - Tutorial (sort of)

Hey all!

Before i post the steps i want to give a background first:
    I was trying to find a solution for nemo file manager; since it belongs to cinnamon and i’m actually using i3-wm. Nemo has a contex menu “open terminal here” which can be easilly configured with:

gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec your_terminal

OR by loading a dumped config with:

To save your actual config:
    dconf dump / > path_to_save/file_name_.dconf
    To load the saved config:
    dconf load / < path_to_file/file_name_.dconf

But when using nemo as root the “open terminal here” my terminal doesn’t open since i don’t have the “nemo terminal” but tilix.
    So after reading and trials and errors i found solutions i want to share with you (terminal example, adapt acording to your needs).

To set configs with gsettings use:
    sudo -u $USER dbus-launch --exit-with-session gsettings set org.cinnamon.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec tilix

To load a dconf file to root use:
    sudo su root -c /bin/bash -c "dbus-launch dconf load / < path_to_file/file_name_.dcon"
    sudo su #0 -c ; dbus-launch dconf load / <path_to_file/file_name_.dconf <This works if you are already logged in as root in the terminal.

This will set the configs to your root. I hope this can be of some use for you.

Cheers!

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto , bravoooo! Not ready for our wiki, yet?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @anarch said in gsettings and dconf as root - Tutorial (sort of):

@fernandomaroto , bravoooo! Not ready for our wiki, yet?

Thanks @anarch, means a lot your compliment to me!! If this deserve to be on the wiki then i can edit when i have more time and add it… Perhaps tomorrow…

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto said in gsettings and dconf as root - Tutorial (sort of):

If this deserve to be on the wiki

This is amazing:grinning:. It would be great to have knowledge like this available for others on the wiki!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @Keegan said in gsettings and dconf as root - Tutorial (sort of):

This is amazing. It would be great to have knowledge like this available for others on the wiki!

Thank you very much! Actualy i just updated the post here, i’m testing it a little more, 'cause i want to run it with systemd but is not working; only works in terminal. (i need to learn about systemd hehehe)

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

Posts 5Views 237