• Wayland LightDM

So on Lightlocker there are two GNOME sessions. Both of them are only X11 sessions. I confirmed by using loginctl show-session c5 -p Type and got Type=x11 on both of them. So I disabled LightDM and used GDM and wayland shows up with that command. So is not using Wayland on Antergos a Dev decision or is something not working? If it is a dev decision, will there be an update to turn on Wayland without user intervention in the future when they feel it is ready?

• I do not think it is caused by decision, as i see here both gnome sessions that called “Gnome” try to start a wayland session, but when this fails they choose X-Org-Session:

the two entries are simple read from this two files:
    /usr/share/wayland-sessions/gnome.desktop
    /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop
    the 3. one:
    /usr/share/xsessions/gnome-xorg.desktop

But yes i experience also that i can not start a wayland session out of lightdm to gnome, but may caused of nvidia card.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• So why does LightDM not start a Wayland session when GDM does for me?

• @null0 said in Wayland LightDM:

So is not using Wayland on Antergos a Dev decision or is something not working?

It’s not devs decision. It’s LightDM that cannot start Wayland currently. Stop. The issue is widely discussed on Internet.

Nvidia (Optimus) works perfectly with Wayland. Tests demonstrate that there’s no difference between running Nvidia either on Xorg or on Wayland servers.

It was described time ago here.

Regards

• @just That’s what I wanted to know. I’ve never heard about LightDM not starting Wayland because I never used LightDM and I don’t think it’s fair to assume everyone has heard about that. If LightDM doesn’t support Wayland then I don’t understand why it’s installed and set up by default (at least for GNOME desktops).

• @null0 said in Wayland LightDM:

LightDM doesn’t support Wayland then I don’t understand why it’s installed and set up by default (at least for GNOME desktops)

I have no relation to Antergos devs and cannot speak for them. From my very personal point of view the explanation could be as follows.

The decision made by Antetogs devs many years ago was to use the same, unified display manager for all DEs installed by Cinnarch and Antergos. At that time Wayland wasn’t even in a pre-alpha state.

For all years passed LightDM worked and continues to work well for all DEs, installed by Antergos:

• base (well, this one doesn’t have a display manager)
    • cinnamon
    • gnome
    • kde
    • mate
    • openbox
    • xfce
    • budgie
    • deepin
    • enlightenment
    • i3
    • lxqt

Wayland started to desperately try to enter the scene a year, max two ago. And only for Gnome 3, at least for now.

So the questions are:

• why change the default display manager in a favor of 0,5 DE only (LightDM has no problem to start Gnome3 on Xorg), infringing upon other 10 Antergos DEs?

• only because Gnome3 on Wayland cannot be started by LightDM?

• what will happen if LightDM will be able to start Wayland, in a short time, but the unified Antergos display manager will be already changed before that?

Seems to be too much work for only 2 Antergos devs.

• @just thanks a lot for
    enlightenment
    ;)

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @just That sounds logical on why LightDM is set up. I’d probably include branding in there as well since it’s easier to theme with it than say GDM. It’s interesting that this page says it does support multiple display servers: https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/LightDM/
    But after some searching it does seem many people can’t get Wayland to work with LightDM.

My primary concern was that, when whatever was not letting Wayland and LightDM work was fixed that I wouldn’t get that fix because it was maybe something in a config file somewhere. I’d hope a package update for LightDM fixes the issue.

lightdm93 wayland38 Posts 8Views 155