• Top command - memory usage

Hello,

When i run the top command in Terminal, the memory usage stat (in the summary above the processes) does not show a sensible value. Furthermore, when I press E to cycle between units (KiB, MiB etc.) the value does not change. The value for the total installed memory is correct.

The memory indication shown by the horizontal bar chart next to the text value does appear correct.

Is anyone able to replicate this bug? This is a fresh 17.9 install using the LTS kernel and gnome.

Thanks

• Can you provide a screenshot?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Hi Joe, thanks for your response

0_1505487936705_Top.png

• @bigbertha
    There are also commands ‘htop’ and ‘glances’ available, maybe they work better for you.

• Hi @bigbertha

the memory usage stat (in the summary above the processes) does not show a sensible value.

The value is represented by a percentage followed by a slash and a real value.
    So: 19.5/7905.547 = 19.5% used of 7905.547 MiB.

Furthermore, when I press E to cycle between units (KiB, MiB etc.) the value does not change.

Because it is a percentage, the value stays fixed when changing the base unit.

The memory indication shown by the horizontal bar chart next to the text value does appear correct.

Keeping in mind the above, the bar shows the displayed percentage in red.

The yellow smaller portion is free memory that is not being accounted for (this is usually the buffer memory plus cached memory minus free memory and can be safely considered as actual free memory). You can calculate this for yourself if, from the graph representation, you tap the m key twice to switch to the numeric representation of memory.

• Thanks Krugar, that clears things up - I didn’t realise it was a percentage. Knowing about the m key is useful.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I’ll mark this thread as solved.

Cheers

• htop:
    0_1505493631828_htop.png

glances:
    0_1505493653355_glances.png

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

usage6 memory6 top10 Posts 7Views 165