• Why the installation is "so much online"

I haven’t installed Antergos yet. On my location internet is expensive and I need to manage my monthly quotas with care. I have already downloaded the ISO, however. But after 30 minutes into the installation I had to stop.

Can someone please help me understand why I have downloaded a 1.7 GB iso file which was refreshed just 5 days ago, only to have to download every single package from the repositories? What’s in those 1.7 GB? Why isn’t the iso made into a repository so the installer can sync and avoid so much wasted downloads?

I’m afraid Antergos is insanely expensive to install compared to other distros. It’s all fine for 1st world countries, which apparently are the only people who Linus is for these days. The rest of us can suck on our thumbs as free and open source becomes a posh thing for rich kids in big cities.

I’m sorry for the rant. But I feel frustrated and angered that between the iso and installation, I used nearly 3 GB to get a basic Antergos/Xfce and it wasn’t even over installing when I decided I had to cancel it.

• This is caused by the fact that Antergos is strictly based on Archlinux, and is a rolling release Distribution, where we work on the latest viable packages, without updating regularly system will break shortly on changing something, like installing a new programm e.t.c.

So also the installer can not carry the packages to install the systen, as they will be outdated very fast, and installer will causing errors.
    If you do not have a goos internet connection or it is pricy, it is better to choose a Distribution with a release cycle of 2 years or so…

Mint:
    https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

Fedora:
    Fedora Project releases a new version of Fedora approximately every 6 months and provides updated packages (maintenance) to these releases for approximately 13 months

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Krugar Hi!
    you could try my unofficial offline version https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7655/unofficial-i3-wm-iso-with-offline-and-online-installer

If you don’t like the desktop/packakes you can change them later when you have internet available.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Yes @fernandomaroto have the only aviable Offline-Installer ;)

But updating after installation must be regular too…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Krugar said in Why the installation is "so much online":

’m afraid Antergos is insanely expensive to install compared to other distros. It’s all fine for 1st world countries, which apparently are the only people who Linus is for these days. The rest of us can suck on our thumbs as free and open source becomes a posh thing for rich kids in big cities.

I do not agree here… it is true on one hand, that people living in big cities have better and fastzer internet, but here where i live in Germany it is pointed to big cities, if i go 10 km outside the city i get the same slow and bad quality internet connections, like may in your erea.

And you have to pay much money too may not alone on internet, but everything is controled by money here, i have to pay for television and radio , also if i am not using it, i have to pay for telefonline also if i do not need it, extra i pay for CableTV but i do not use it, and if yes, i have to pay extra to get digital quality to fit my device, or i have bad picture… e.t.c.

And Linux/Open Source Development is dependent on Internet connectivity, when i start with linux i have to use a modem, on the telefon-line [56k!] and pay per minute, we have no graphical environment and surfing the internet was textbased… i was very happy to be able to pay more for better connection later, and downloading a new distro was a thing of days not hours.

(only my point of view)

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Krugar said in Why the installation is "so much online":

Can someone please help me understand why I have downloaded a 1.7 GB iso file which was refreshed just 5 days ago, only to have to download every single package from the repositories? What’s in those 1.7 GB? Why isn’t the iso made into a repository so the installer can sync and avoid so much wasted downloads?

In fact, it is.

So, just to clarify, those packages were up to date when the iso was created. If there is any new version of any of them, Cnchi will download them.

When you see the message “fetching blahblah package…” it just means Cnchi is checking if there is a new version online or not, it does not mean that it’s downloading it.

You can check the log /tmp/cnchi.log to see what I mean.

Obviously, only Gnome packages are present in the ISO, so choosing any other DE means Cnchi will have to download it all.

If you have Internet restrictions (bad connection, expensive invoices…) I do not recommend using a rolling release distro (but this is just my humble opinion, of course).

Cheers!

• @fernandomaroto said in Why the installation is "so much online":

you could try my unofficial offline version https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7655/unofficial-i3-wm-iso-with-offline-and-online-installer

Just what I was about to suggest! Also, you could try Antergos minimal edition (also on their install page) which just installs the bare minimum for it to get installed. I believe the ISO is about 700 MB in size compared to the 1.6 GB of the normal ISO.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Thanks everyone for the replies.

I must say however that the argument for choosing another type of release model and not use a rolling release is not good. As an Arch user moving to Antergos, I should know that rolling release distros are not a problem for me. At all. And never were.

But, even more important, that would be admitting a major flaw on the rolling release model that would make it incompatible with 2/3 of the world. I don’t think that is the case at all, from my ow experience.

@karasu said in Why the installation is "so much online":

When you see the message “fetching blahblah package…” it just means Cnchi is checking if there is a new version online or not, it does not mean that it’s downloading it.

This changes everything! I regret now having canceled the installation. I think that message should be worked on and I might fill a bug report over it, if you don’t mind. But at least with that knowledge I feel more confident about installing Antergos. Thank you.

Posts 8Views 196