• Complains about installation process (edited with bigger problems)

Hello I’m a relatively new user to Linux and absolutely new to Antergos. Thought maybe a new user’s perspective will be appreciated.
    There are a few things that caught my eyes negatively and they are:

1. Cnchi (the installer of Antergos in the live USB) gives the user an option to read a “help” page about managing partitions (just before the partitions window) but after a minute or so, that page freezes, as in, it’s impossible to scroll or even select text.

2. I had to delete my other Linux partition. The installer said “you already have 3 primary and 1 extended so you cant create a new partition from your free space” or something like that. I think I’ve seen “you already have 4 primary partitions” as well.
      Why is this limit there? I had enough free space but couldnt create anything out of it.
      EDIT: This is solved/explained here: https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7781/sorry-you-already-have-4-primary-partitions-created/20

3. On choosing root password I was even angered because it did not allow me to create a short password! Shouldn’t this be my choice? If the installer believes it’s unsafe to use a short password, let it inform the user, not force him!

4. It would be nice to have some kind of previews for the desktop environments before installing them.

5. What is the default DE in the live usb? It’s ugly and very hard to use/understand. Right clicking tabs doesn’t work as expected etc.

EDIT

Encountered even bigger problems. Please see 3rd post below.

• Also just my subjective opinion but this forum is ugly and annoying and lacks options.

• 2.: On “dos” partition table you have limitations, on the number of primary partitions, this is because the table you have already onto your HD, “gpt” allows more partitions.

5.: Default DE is GNOME (What the LiveUSB is starting with)

oN tHE fORUM “dESIGN” : i was also ab bit irritated in the first time i start using the forum, but i do not miss options, you are limited because of spam and scam prevention system, but this will go away after short.

But we have it all WIKI/NEWS/FORUM/BUGREPORT/SOURCES what else we should have here?

The rest is not up to me as i am not developing Antergos itself.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Thank you for your reply. I have however encountered even bigger problems! :(

Had to reinstall the OS three times (from 2 different .iso’s, both 17.9, one of them is regular the other one is community edition. Trie xfce, lxqt and kde. All of them have huge issues. Installed from 2 different usb sticks.)

So the first problem is that right after installation when first running the OS I got an error, that says desktop environment has some problems and asked me if i want to load default desktop composition, load fallback or try as it is.

I tried as it is with lxqt and it made many icons missing. For example in toolbar i howeverd mouse in one place and it said “volume control” even though it just looked black like there was nothing there… I tried “load default desktop” with xfce and kde and they showed icons, however with both of them other huge bugs followed:

With xfce I loaded chromium and it froze up and whole screen became all-white and i had to hard shut down and reinstall antergos…

With KDE I hovered mouse on an icon in toolbar and it said “your system is up to date”. I tried left and right clicking on it wanting more information but system simply hanged while I was trying to do that and finally screen became all-black and had to hard shut down

So yeah, tried 3 different DEs, 2 different .iso and 2 different usb sticks and results are pretty much the same - the system is unusable to me :(

Could you someone help me? I would still like to try the OS if it’s possible to fix somehow?
    I installed following the guide with 70gb partition in ext4 as root ( “/” ) and 8gb as swap.

My PC is
    HP Elitebook 8730w with latest bios
    CPU T9400
    GPU Nvidia Quadro 3700M
    4gb RAM
    320gb old hdd with ~240gb partition for windows 7.
    Everything else including previous Linux (LXLE which is basically Lubuntu) worked perfectly. I only had big problems with Mint Linux KDE which I also tried previously.

• Make sure you do NOT have a optimus enabled graphic combination Intel/nvidia!
    You can check with the ISO started and inside a terminal:

lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'If it outputs two lines, then you’re likely having an Optimus laptop.

https://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/
    https://antergos.com/wiki/install/how-to-dual-boot-antergos-windows-uefi-expanded-by-linuxhat/

Else:

I would install nvidia properitary drivers after first boot with our nvidia-installer:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer
    nvidia-installer -t to test if it works without installing anything
    if it reports no errors do a real install:
    sudo nvidia-installer

from a terminal.

If you do the installation in the last days, we have also some bugs in the installer, but there are solved now as far as i know and the 17.9 ISO will work (Bugs where outside the ISO some config files downloaded while installation where affected)

Which DE would you prefere? if KDE is what you want: Antergos preconfigurations are awesome on kde/plasma!

If you have more questions: just ask i will assist if i can!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Thanks a lot for your reply, joekamprad!

Can I write “lspci -vnn | grep ‘’’[030[02]]’” Into the terminal inside installed Antegros? I’d write the results here. Though frankly I’m quite sure this laptop does NOT have dual-graphics solution such as Optimus. I think the Nvidia Quadro 3700M is the only graphics card here and there is no Intel’s solution present.

As for installing Nvidia proprietary drivers, upon instaling the OS, all three times I chose (install proprietary AMD/Nvidia drivers) as an optional choice. Does it mean the Nvidia drivers are already installed and activated? Or are they installed but possibly not activated yet? Anyhow I will still try doing what you suggested.

And yeah I’ve only downloaded the Antegros .iso yesterday as a torrent.

As for DE I prefer LXQT (or LXDE) and KDE from what I’ve seen. These two DE’s both look pleasantly and have very understandable UIs. I have KDE Plasma installed now but I think upon installing when I got that error about DE, I chose “load defaut desktop” and it loaded default KDE and not Antergos KDE. Not 100% sure though.

• I’ve entered the command you wrote and here are the results.

https://i.imgur.com/fQi59Ip.png

Is the KDE desktop supposed to look like this in Antergos by default? Is everything looking good?
    How do I check which graphic driver is currently in use, the open source or proprietary one? Is there a program to quickly switch between them? I got Nvidia logo when logging into Antergos so I think my drivers are proprietary already.

• I’ve entered the command you wrote and here are the results.

https://i.imgur.com/fQi59Ip.png

Is the KDE desktop supposed to look like this in Antegros by default? Is everything looking good?
    How do I check which graphic driver is currently in use, the open source or proprietary one? Is there a program to quickly switch between them?

EDIT

aaaaaaaand a freeze and a white screen flash again. This time only after 5 minutes. I rebooted and then it crashed again in ~1min. I noticed it crashes especially when I check the toolbar options, around there.

• Reinstalled (for the 4th time now!) again. This time I did NOT select “install proprietary drivers” option in the installer. So far I’ve noticed the system feels much snappier than before.

Could it be my Quadro 3700M had problems with Nvidia’s official driver? I used the same driver version in my previous Linux installation (LXLE) and there were no issues.

I’m okay with using nouveau drivers but really I plan to spend 50% of the time on Antergos playing games… So without being able to use official drivers - to try games with them - will severely limit me. Is there any way to troubleshoot my problem so that I could use Nvidia drivers as well ? Can someone help me do that? Perhaps certain settings/flags could help?

I needed I can reinstall with proprietary drivers again and send back logs (dont know where they are) so that professionals of Antergos could check them to see what was causing the problem?

I would really like to see the problem solved as using ONLY nouveau drivers, when I have gaming in mind - is unfeasable…

If the current installation without Nvidia drivers won’t crash for half and hour then I’ll edit this post and report that here since all 3 installations before HAD Nvidia drivers and crashed at ~8mins max.

• Freezes are very common on plasma/kde when tinkering the bars/dock stuff … but not on normal system use…
    If you have them ready it is stable…

We do not use apt-get as we are based on Arch-Linux we use pacman as the base CLI package manager:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

As graphical tool we have pamac installed and setup for updates an most DE’s (kde for sure yes)

To get the proprietary nvidia driver installed use exactly the commands i gave you:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer
    nvidia-installer -t
    to test if it works without installing anything
    if it reports no errors do a real install:
    sudo nvidia-installer

It is also possible to go back tou open source drivers (nouveau):

sudo nvidia-installer -n

To check if nvidia driver is installed:
    lsmod | grep nvidia
    will give you some like this:

nvidia_drm             45056  1
    nvidia_modeset        835584  5 nvidia_drm
    nvidia              12910592  303 nvidia_modeset
    drm_kms_helper        131072  1 nvidia_drm
    drm                   303104  4 nvidia_drm,drm_kms_helper

The command lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]' works aswell on installed system.

For nvidia Cards the default driver is nouveau (open source driver) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau
    But this one is known to have not so good performance as the proprietary nvidia driver, on some systems on others it works like a charm…

@KJJ said in Complains about installation process (edited with bigger problems):

And yeah I’ve only downloaded the Antegros .iso yesterday as a torrent.

If i was you i would do a fresh install rom scratch with the DE you prefere (KDE: configurable right down to the last detail) or what else you can choose here:
    0_1505149747344_Bildschirmfoto vom 2017-09-11 19-08-41.png

Also possible to choose some extra DE’s when closing the installer (CNCHI) window, open a terminal and paste this in:

sudo cnchi -z

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Thank you for the reply.

I have tried the nvidia proprietary drivers as you suggested, however they were already installed through the installer Cnchi in the Live usb. The Cnchi installer game me the choice to install it and I chose to install it all the times.
    I have now tried non-proprietary driver on my 4th installation and it no longer crashes.

So the Nvidia proprietary driver was crashing my system. It did not matter if I used KDE, XFCE or LXQT - all crashed after max 8 minutes.

No crashes with Nouveau drivers so far.

The installation method you suggested is actually exactly what I was doing. Like I said I tried 2 different .iso files too. I tried 2 different usb sticks and 3 desktop environments - all crashed and the culprit was Nvidia proprietary driver somehow incompatible with my system/gpu.

The question that now remains is - is there any way I can fix my Antergos somehow so Nvidia proprietary driver starts working for me without crashing again?

Again, I’ve used Nvidia proprietary driver on a different Linux system and it worked PERFECTLY. That distro was LXLE. I can’t game without this driver…

Another small’ish problem is that with Nouveau somehow my default GPU fan is set at pretty high for some reason so the laptop makes quite a noise. This only happened on Linux Mint to me before. I had lots of problems with both Nvidia and Nouveau drivers on Mint Linux and had to format that distro. I really hope that will not be the case with Antergos and that the solution will actually be found here!

Can someone suggest a way to fix incompatibility of my gpu-antergos-nvidiadriver ?
    Also can someone suggest a way to fix the fan settings on nouveau? They were perfectly well set and silent on my previous Linux distro where I also used nouveau.

• do you use sudo invidia-installer -n to get nouveau back?

And i do some research and find that you need another nvidia driver:

Version: 340.102

Your card is on the legacy list: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

Called nvidia-340xx here on Archbased systems…

I do not know what driver exactly you have installed before?

If you want you can give the output of:

nvidia-installer -t

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad I have installed this exact driver 340.xx - it’s the driver that has been giving me trouble :(
    And yeah I installed it with nvidia-installer…

Nouveau was installed by default by Antergos installer.

Is there any way to make Nvidia 340.XX work on my computer without crashing it? Why is this happening??

• @KJJ said in Complains about installation process (edited with bigger problems):

On choosing root password I was even angered because it did not allow me to create a short password! Shouldn’t this be my choice? If the installer believes it’s unsafe to use a short password, let it inform the user, not force him!

I couldn’t agree more. The whole notion of forcing a user to take options against their will for security purposes, may work for computer illiterate users, but will anger everyone else.

It’s the ol’ “some users don’t know, so let us decide for them” mantra, that so often leads to the disastrous philosophy of slowly but steadily treating all users like idiots. And just another reason why some of us are not using Windows but Linux. An operating system that we were promised doesn’t do that.

• @Krugar said in Complains about installation process (edited with bigger problems):

the disastrous philosophy of slowly but steadily treating all users like idiots

I do not think that this is what we do with Antergos, we are supporting rookies and novices and are friendly people at all!

If there is something users do not like, we talk about and see what we can do to solve this.

My thinking is here that it is not a good idea to have a simple password, special because CNCHI uses the same password for your root account. (but i am not developing Antergos, i am a user you!)

It is simple possible to change this by typing a very simple command:

passwd followed by your username

Here you can use what ever you want as password…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad said in Complains about installation process (edited with bigger problems):

I do not think that this is what we do with Antergos

Oh! I don’t want to mean that is intentional on the case of Antergos. Certainly the team doesn’t come across like that. I do believe however that it is an unintentional consequence of trying to deal with a particular group of users which, incidentally, may not even represent the vast majority of the linux population.

passwd followed by your username

And that is a command which doesn’t try to make decisions for me. So why would Cnchi?

Look, it’s not that password length is even a good metric for security. IAmMarioThePlumber will be the delight of any cracker and yet Cnchi will give the user the false impression that his password is good because it passed its feeble testing.

• @Krugar Fell free to open a topic about this if you want, but please don’t change the subject of this topic. This thread is going offtopic…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I can appreciate you guys discussing the password issue but…
    Could you also help me with my SYSTEM BREAKING BUG please? :D
    The one where nvidia driver makes my screen go black or white every few minutes. This seems to be some kind of a miscommunication between kernel/os/driver/gpu ? How can I solve it?? Perhaps I should report the bug elsewhere so professionals/developers can take a look into it? It’s not just myself I’m concerned about but also other users who might similarly experience something like this in the future.

• somehow my default GPU fan is set at pretty high for some reason so the laptop makes quite a noise.

Awhile ago, I found a program in the AUR that allows you to control exactly when your fans are allowed to run and when they aren’t. This could at least keep them from wreaking havoc on your system. Just install thinkfan, fancontrol-gui, and fancontrol-common.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• @KJJ, sorry you are right.

The way however you have been experiencing this problem is hard to diagnose. Which is very unfortunate : (

And we should be looking elsewhere too: What kernel version you have installed? If it is not the 4.9 LTS branch, try installing that. If it is, try installing the 4.4 LTS branch. You don’t need to reinstall Antergos. Just install the kernels, reboot and switch back to the 340.X drivers.

Posts 32Views 698