• Dell Precision 5520 with NVIDIA Quadro M1200

Hi all,

I’m writing an article on switching to Linux as a professional for 2 weeks, working together with Dell.
    They were so kind as to provide a few laptops, docks and peripherals.

The XPS is working quite alright, the dock is giving me some issues, but most of all, it’s underpowered for my use.
    I have a quite hefty Precision 5520 with touch screen and an NVIDIA Quadro M1200 that I would like to use.

Now, (of course) the NVIDIA drivers are giving me lots of trouble, none of the walk-throughs I have found have worked for me so far.
    The last thing I tried now:

• Installing the official NVIDIA drivers (.run file) > got just a mouse pointer
    • Installed nvidia-utils, ran nvidia-xconfig > get psmouse serio1: synaptics: Unable to initialize device

Is there anyone willing to help me out and provide me with some feedback, so I can get the most out of this opportunity,
    and hopefully convince a few people that these things will be solved soon? :-) I am a Linux fan and I would love to tell a good story.

Much obliged!

• @ort said in Dell Precision 5520 with NVIDIA Quadro M1200:

Precision 5520

Is this bumblebee may be?

discrete + Full Power Graphic cards intel+nvidia???
    https://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/

You can check with: lspci -vnn | grep '\''[030[02]]'

• Hey @joekamprad, thanks for getting back!

The Quadro M1200 is not an Optimus card, so I’m presuming it’s not supported by Bumblebee.
    https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/optimus/supported-gpus

• O.K. so then it is not a good idea to use the *.run binary installer from Nvidia on Arch based systems, also nvidia-xconfig is not needed for make X work…

We have this little tool here called nvidia-installer in Antergos Repo:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer
    nvidia-installer -t (to test if it works as it should)
    if no errors presented
    sudo nvidia-installer
    if your card is not in the list you can force installation:
    sudo nvidia-installer -f

• O.K. so then it is not a good idea to use the *.run binary installer from Nvidia on Arch based systems, also nvidia-xconfig is not needed for make X work…

This is however the package they offer as download for this specific card, through their site.

0_1505138090585_Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 15.54.31.jpg
    0_1505138099773_Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 15.54.11.jpg

We have this little tool here called nvidia-installer in Antergos Repo:

I’m fairly sure I also tried this, but I’m willing to give it another go.
    If it fails, how can I roll back? Just -Rns the package?

Thanks for your assistance.

• nvidia-installer is a programm if you install it do not change anything but is able to reset the driver also to default nouveau with:

sudo nvidia-installer -n
    sudo nvidia-installer -h will give you all options as help output

and current nvidia driver from archlinux/antergos:

extra/nvidia 384.69-2 so it will fit with that what nvidia say to you…

nvidia149 dell28 55202 precision1 Posts 7Views 3081
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.