• Bootloader hangs on XPS 15

For about two days I have been trying to install Arch on my new laptop. XPS 15 - 9560 with a GTX1050 card.

TDLDR; Everytime I try to boot from disk it hangs on the Antergos logo before even entering the install environment. Is this a problem with Noveau drivers?

Just getting Ubuntu installed was a nightmare.

So here I am finally on linux, but aching to return to the sweet arch life

If not any help getting the installer to at least boot would be wonderful.

• @oisov said in Bootloader hangs on XPS 15:

Everytime I try to boot from disk it hangs on the Antergos logo before even entering the install environment. Is this a problem with Noveau drivers?

yes! nouveau is not working with gtx1050

https://antergos.com/wiki/uncategorized/install-from-newest-nvidia-card/

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad Thanks a lot for a quick answer! So unless I want to really mess with my system the best action is to wait right? I guess nouveau drivers are coming to gtx1050 eventually?

Ive had enough problems messing in BIOS just to get a basic Kubuntu distro up and running :p

• Not for now, and with the nvidia driver enabled ISO you can startand install as with the original ISO, i just updated it to 17.9:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/antergos-nvidia-iso/

and shortly also on my webspace here:
    http://kamprad.net/Downloads/Antergos-Nvidia-ISO/

The ISO uses proprietary Nvidia drivers and support your GTX1050 card with it.

after installation you need to boot to non graphical loogin and install the Nvidia driver, but this is not a big thing!

with this command: `systemd.unit=multi-user.target’ on bootup to start without X.
    install nvidia-drivers

login as root and:
    pacman -S nvidia-installer then let the installer work
    nvidia-installer
    Reboot and you’re good to go!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• If you really must be able to use Antergos, and don’t need the best graphics performance (and you have quite a powerful machine), then why not use VirtualBox until getting it installed natively?

• I tried to boot with the live distro you suggested. For every single option i get “efi/wmlinuz” not found. Then a bluescreen asuing EFI could not be loaded.

Any ideas?

• @oisov do you try adding nomodeset to boot kernel parameters?

But as i think the error "efi/vmlinuz” not found ink to secure boot or related inside EFI settings of your device.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad  No, I have not tried adding nomodeset to boot kernel paramaters. How would i go about doing that?

Also since I already have installled Ubuntu I already have turned off secure boot, and the other settings inside EFI. Fedora, Ubuntu, and pretty much any other bootloader works just fine.

xps14 hangs16 bootloader14 Posts 8Views 374