• black screen after boot menu

i can’t start the live version, screen goes black and fans start running at full speed. also installed linux mint and windows 10 try to see if any problems occurs, they work fine. so i don’t think its hardware issue, also rewrited image to iso to be sure.

my rig
    phenom ii x6 1090t be
    8gb ddr3 1600 ram
    amd sapphire r9 380 nitro

ideas?

• how do you create startup medium? (ISO Installer)
    If ISO is O.K. i would bet on a problem with your graphic card.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• i followed instructions in download section for creating usb

• I try to find some similar problem with amd card but can not find any… would be good to know what driver is used under mint.

Only thing i find was adding: radeon.dpm=“0” as kernel parameter on boot.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad To me was the oposite when i tried to boot Linux mint here (AMD but not the same model as @pepi455 ), mint couldn’t boot, giving me black screen. I had to use nomodeset parameter to boot following the instructions from here https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_mate.php
    Not sure if this helps…

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @joekamprad

@fernandomaroto said in black screen after boot menu:

@joekamprad To me was the oposite when i tried to boot Linux mint here (AMD but not the same model as @pepi455 ), mint couldn’t boot, giving me black screen. I had to use nomodeset parameter to boot following the instructions from here https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_mate.php
    Not sure if this helps…

i’ve tried both and they didn’t work. but i just found out that before going to black screen it gives a ‘disabled by bios’ text for less than a second

• @pepi455 said in black screen after boot menu:

disabled by bios’

maybe kvm disabled by bios?

then take a look inside bios for:

Intel ® Virtualization Technology

and enable this…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad there is no intel virtualization, but there was ‘virtualization’ and it was disabled, i enabled it still no change

• @pepi455
    At what phase does your screen go black? Can you see the initial choices? If you can see the choices, then try pressing F4 and select Safe Settings or some other under that F4 menu.

• Also possible that you need to wait for EFI to start booting… on some machines this takes some Minutes for the Live ISO inserted into USB…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @manuel i can see boot menu, when i start antergos live boot screen goes black fans start to run at full speed. tried f4 safe mode, no luck

@joekamprad said in black screen after boot menu:

Also possible that you need to wait for EFI to start booting… on some machines this takes some Minutes for the Live ISO inserted into USB…

i’ve waited like 40 mins after screen went black. note that if i switch to onboard gpu it works, but i didn’t install because my onboard can’t even run web browser after 20 mins. i was thinking, if i install correct drivers for my amd gpu then switch to my gpu would it work? i’m gonna need some guidance now, i have linux experience but if we can’t figure out now whats wrong i cant go on

• yes disable or unplug the AMD Card and install system will be a good solution!
    I do not think about an internal GPU…

After rebooting to a working ANtergos installation we can go to check and install the AMD-GPU backin!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

black41 menu24 boot159 Posts 12Views 211