• LightDM stability and always fallback after logout

Hi all, first time user here and just installed Antergos with Xfce in VM to play around it for a bit. I noticed some LightDM behaviors that I felt was strange and wanted to ask around. Not sure if this behavior was unique to Xfce so I’m posting it here for now.

Anyways there are two questions in regards to LightDM:

1. I just finished a fresh install, and immediately after the reboot LightDM has already displayed the recovery popup (something like there is an error and may interfere with login, user may select default theme, fallback theme or cancel). I canceled the popup and just continued exploring the distro.

Out of curiosity, I restarted Antergos around 10 times and 1 out of 10 times this recovery popup would be displayed. Most of the time LightDM does not show this. Not really sure why?

I even reinstalled a couple of times and every time the recovery poup is displayed after the first reboot.

1. Whenever I log out and return to the login screen, the fallback theme is loaded instead. This means all the other wallpapers are not displayed in the background selector to the right. I checked the debug log and an error message is displayed:

AntergosBackgroundManager: [ERROR] No background images detected.

This does not occur on reboot or startup (wallpapers are all loaded correctly most of the time), only when I log out. I only have 1 account on the machine, not sure if this is related.

Would appreciate any help, thanks.

• @dubstepanda said in LightDM stability and always fallback after logout:

VM

which VM?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad

It’s Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.22

• 5.1.22 do you mean…

actual is VirtualBox 5.1.26…

But may you forget to enable 3d for graphics inside vm?

I would say if you are happy with Antergos+XFCE4 itself, i think the problem with lightdm will not effect you on real hardware, and if yes, you can change the DM complete in a second or use another greeter for lightdm.

If you want try:

install lightdm-gtk-greeter + lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings
    then edit:
    /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
    and change:
    greeter-session=lightdm-webkit-greeter
    to:
    greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter

After restarting the system you will be able to change the theme e.t.c. with the tool-GUI lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• 3D graphics is enabled

So the current behavior with lightdm-webkit2-greeter might be hardware-related? Maybe I’ll check if this issue exists when I install it on actual hardware later on.

Anyways, this isn’t some major problem for me, just curious and wanted to know why this is happening.

Thanks for the help.

• @dubstepanda said in LightDM stability and always fallback after logout:

So the current behavior with lightdm-webkit2-greeter might be hardware-related?

opposite ;)

@joekamprad said in LightDM stability and always fallback after logout:

i think the problem with lightdm will not effect you on real hardware

I was wondering that a lot of people thinking that a VM is simulating automaticl the Hardware it is running on for the guests by default?

No it is not that, you can configure it kind of doing this, and there is PCI passthrough via OVMF aviable, but in the end it is simulating only hardware in a limited way…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad said in LightDM stability and always fallback after logout:

I was wondering that a lot of people thinking that a VM is simulating automaticl the Hardware it is running on for the guests by default?

Just to complement @joekamprad phrase.
    A system that work in VM may not work in real hardware. This is nice if you want to run a system that can’t work with current hardware specs (i never tried to run MacOS but probably will run for example, i run multiple systems, like old ones that probably wouldn’t run here).
    So running a system in VM is not guarantee that will work (or that will work “fine” in the real pc).

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• I have had Antergos installed for a couple of months on my main laptop and had the same issue. Randomly pops up the dialogue box. It does not affect anything per se, just annoying. However @joekamprad post works wonders. It is also better than the webkit greeter as the default greeter is slow. The GTK greeter is faster.

• gtk-greeter has a config GUI to set anything …
      But Antergos needs something one-fit-all solution, and it is easy to change the DM…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

fallback2 logout4 stability3 lightdm93 Posts 9Views 244