• Why does my ThinkPad x270 reboot instead of shutting down?

I’m running Antergos (Arch) with Systemd-boot on my ThinkPad x270; Core i5 6300CPU.

I’ve tried every possible shutdown command, and tried shutting down using the GUI, it shuts down, and then it stays off for 3 seconds, and then it reboots.

It reboots when I tried to hibernate it as well as whenever I’ve tried to suspend it. When I shutdown, it kicks out of X and displays this output on the top left part of the screen, “reboot : Power down” .

Because of this, my laptop is abnormally warm when the lid is shut and drains the battery instead of being suspended.

The only way to poweroff completely is to long press on the power button on the keyboard.
    I hope someone can help me with this.

• looks like messed up Bios settings to me… or do you use Laptop Mode Tools ?

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Bios is set to default, and no I don’t use laptop mode tools.

• The X270 is full supported on linux… some user say that the get your issue only on battery mode, so may try out using tpacpi-bat can help

sudo pacman -S tpacpi-bat
    sudo systemctl start tpacpi-bat.service
    systemctl status tpacpi-bat.service

if it work enable autostarting:

sudo systemctl enable tpacpi-bat.service

and if you like give me some systeminfo:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I’ve sent you the system info. Unfortunately the tpacpi-bat doesn’t seem to have worked. On ArchWiki, they did talk about a nasty bug affecting some motherboards which made it reboot itself after 3 seconds.

I’ve tried implementing their solutions, and it didn’t change a thing. I’ve tried a fresh install, I’ve tried it with the LTS kernel, and no luck. I’ve also tried turning off the Wake On Lan feature.

Many thanks

• As far as i know, some thinkpads have the option to reboot on error, because of this i was betting to Bios, but as i can read this is from Windows installation…

And where do you send me the logs?

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• https://ptpb.pw/YVKh

Sorry I thought I had pasted it with the previous reply.

• [  216.335616] thinkpad_acpi: unknown possible thermal alarm or keyboard event received
    [  216.335618] thinkpad_acpi: unhandled HKEY event 0x6032
    [  216.335619] thinkpad_acpi: please report the conditions when this event happened to [email protected]

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad I’ve sent the report to the email, I hope they will be of some help.

Thank you for your support, in the meantime, I’ll see what I can do.

• System wakeup disabled by ACPI

you may try to boot with grub kernel parameter acpi=off to see if it is an acpi problem.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• That didn’t work as well. I’ve contacted Lenovo Support and they have agreed to replace the motherboard as the device does have a warranty. Although I’m unsure of the ETA for the circuit change, I will post and update soon.

• @joekamprad said in Why does my ThinkPad x270 reboot instead of shutting down?:

unknown possible thermal alarm

replace the motherboard sound o.k.!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

x2701 thinkpad10 reboot11 shutting1 Posts 12Views 201