• Favorite Applications and Programs

Hey Guys,

I’m pretty new to Antergos (not to Linux, was a big Ubuntu user previously). Wanted to ask what everyone’s favorite applications, programs, etc. they need for their daily work-flow. Can range from anything to browsers, text editors, specific hacks or tweaks, etc.

Just looking to improve my basic applications and really get going with my Antergos install.

Thanks,
    Asif

• @a4orce84 said

’m pretty new to Antergos (not to Linux, was a big Ubuntu user previously).

Come on, you re not ptretty new to Antergos. You ve been with us for quite a long time as far as I remember.
    As to apps. Both Antergos & Ubuntu, as Linux distros, share the same apps. Chances are that you won t find one that you used to have in Ubuntu.
    Unless you re looking for something with a specific use. In such a case, please be more specific.
    Cheers

• As for me, these are probably my must haves:

• Vivaldi
    • Pamac
    • Rhythmbox
    • WPS Office
    • Grub Customizer
    • Timeshift

What about you though, @a4orce84?

• In addition to what’s been summed up by @just 's thread and @Keegan I can add:
    Thermald
    Chromium widevine
    Clonezilla
    Deja-dup

• Grrrrrrrrr!!! No closed source/proprietary apps!!! Don t encourage them!!! Encourrage free & open source software!!!

• I’m so sorry that I’ve upset you, wasn’t fully aware that I committed a crime. I assume you’re aiming at the widevine app. Since I’m not keen on firefox I installed it to watch the content of my cable tv provider online and Netflix.

• Hmmm… I’ve never heard of Thermald or Deja-dup. What do those do?

• @Keegan Thermald regulates the temperature of my processor, as my hardware was getting hotter and the fans were spinning a bit loud before I installed it.
    Deja-Dup is a back up tool. My first Linux distro was Ubuntu and I’ve made my back-ups with it ever since. Since a year ago I use Clonezilla, but I also make a double back up with Deja-Dup.

• Thanks! It sounds like I might have to look into Deja-Dup as well as Clonezilla then! They both sound so useful😀.

• @bpoerwo said

I’m so sorry that I’ve upset you, wasn’t fully aware that I committed a crime. I assume you’re aiming at the widevine app.

I didn t know about that one. If one should call it a…crime, this is a minor one. And unavoidable, since there is not an open source equivallent.
    I was actually referring to Vivaldi :)
    So, no upset or any hard feelings at all. It s just my attitude to encourrage FOSS as much as possible and use proprietary close source when there is no other alternative.
    For better safety, security, respect of privacy.
    Cheers

• @a4orce84
    Hello!
    there are other posts about favorite applications, you just need to give the search tool a chance heehehe

• @anarch said in Favorite Applications and Programs:

I was actually referring to Vivaldi

hehehe… sorry about that then😄. I do prefer opensource, but Vivaldi just has so many options! It’s like KDE (in my opinion). Ask @joekamprad even. There’s just something about how configurable Vivaldi is that appeals to power users it seems. I did check out their community first though, and I have noticed that, like KDE, the developers over there ask their users what to implement, it gets voted on, and then they actually do it😀. Developers who actually listen to their users! Those are people I feel comfortable supporting. Although it would certainly be nice if they made it opensource ;).

• Interesting! Does that mean that Vivaldi is truly open source, or just that it’s files are available to be read?

Thank you for shedding some light on the subject, @joekamprad😀.

• It is licenced under BSD licence, not GPL.
    https://fosswire.com/post/2007/04/the-differences-between-the-gpl-lgpl-and-the-bsd/
    But on the definition it self, BSD-licence is also a open source licence.
    But as the dev say in his statement, all code and modifications are aviable also as sources, and readable.

• Sorry, guys, but the above link just states that it is not FOSS.
    It s freeware with the added…previlege to the user to see the code. Of course, no one is able to contribute to it, nor fork it.
    As @Keegan said, users can make requests and devs listen and fulfill. But so does Brave which is FOSS.
    Of course it s their right to “sell” their product the way they want, that is, exploiting the licence to get a ready code, created collectively (even if Google is behind the Chromium project), make their own changes and then redistribute it with the code read-only).
    If I were a Windows or a Mac user, I d be excited with it, after all, that would sound a huge advantage over the closed and proprietary browsers they re used to be working with, but, hey, this is one of my key reasons why I use Linux. Because I enjoy its freedom, its openess and its gladly sharing with others.

More on this, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vivaldibrowser/comments/5vwihr/is_vivaldi_completely_opensource/

As to the comparison between Vivaldi and KDE, the same principles, to the above, apply. Vivaldi is a fine, configurable browser, ok with that. KDE is also a fine, configurable DE. But, not only with the option to view its code. It s free, it s open, it s got a vast community supporting and contributing.
    As a final note:
    The above are just my thoughts, philosophy and attitude.
    They re not meant to fire up a flame war, nor impose them on anyone.
    (Since the topic is about apps, I personally use (in order of preferrence) qupzilla, firefox & chromium.
    Each one of them performs better at certain tasks than the others, so i use them accordingly.
    I have also tried Brave but since it s an electron app it runs too heavy on my 4GB RAM memory. :)

• @anarch said in Favorite Applications and Programs:

(Since the topic is about apps, I personally use (in order of preferrence) qupzilla, firefox & chromium.

interesting… the article you linked to said that chromium is licensed under the same license as Vivaldi. Perhaps there is a difference or something I am overlooking though? Here’s the sentence that jumped out at me:

“The changes to Chromium are under the same BSD license as Chromium itself.”

I am NOT trying to start any sort of argument or a flame war here, but I am honestly confused as to the difference between chromium and vivaldi. I have heard many people say that chromium is “an open source chrome”. Is this not true? Am I mistaken?

I have also tried Brave but since it s an electron app it runs too heavy on my 4GB RAM memory. :)

Thank you for that bit of information! I have been thinking of trying out Brave, but like you, I only have 4GB of RAM memory. In that case, I think I will pass on that one.

Thank you for helping me sort all of this information out here😀.

• –OFFTOPIC–
    we can go to https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7382/blame-n-praise-it-s-all-the-same-but-do-not-take-personal
    with this open-source discussion, to blame and flame it ;) or as it is very inetersting topic, do a topic for it!!!

• @joekamprad said

we can go to https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7382/blame-n-praise-it-s-all-the-same-but-do-not-take-personal
    with this open-source discussion, to blame and flame it or as it is very inetersting topic, do a topic for it!!!

Quite right so! Though I m for a new topic, if there s interest amongst us users.

@Keegan, just a short case study. In my above link there were attached more detailed links to the subject. I post them here and if there s interest, we can open up a new topic as suggested by joe.
    Definition of free software
    https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    Definition of open source
    https://opensource.org/osd-annotated
    Vivaldi browser review, by the FOSS Post
    https://fosspost.org/reviews/programs/vivaldi-new-modern-web-browser

Cheers

applications33 programs14 favorite8 Posts 21Views 1998
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.