• All New Rescue ISO!

OK! It’s on it’s way😀. Just be careful, please. It’s the same repo I use for Deepin ;).

• By the way, I’m using /configs/openbox for the Rescue ISO in case you didn’t know already ;).

• shure ;)
    as i can see here:
    https://github.com/keeganmilsten/Antergos-Community-Editions/blob/testing/configs/openbox/packages/80-desktop.packages
    obmenu is in the package list, but on the ISO there is no right-click-menu at all.
    Second is that i do not see obmenu configuration file at https://github.com/keeganmilsten/Antergos-Community-Editions/tree/testing/configs/openbox/root-image/etc/skel/.config/openbox

~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

should be the place for it…

And here is also the place where i am not shure…
    /root-image/etc/skel/ is the right place to do changes on the live environment?

• @joekamprad said in All New Rescue ISO!:

Second is that i do not see obmenu configuration file at https://github.com/keeganmilsten/Antergos-Community-Editions/tree/testing/configs/openbox/root-image/etc/skel/.config/openbox
    ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml

should be the place for it…

hmmm… sounds like I’ll have to add that then😀. What do I put inside the menu.xml file though?

• writing the manu by hand is way to 90ies or not?

may we can use openbox-menu it is on the Antergos repo, idea was to have the menu autogenerated …
    But i would love to have a hint from @karasu here ;)

• Good idea! Have to go for a few hours, but I’ll be back😀.

/root-image/etc/skel/ is the right place to do changes on the live environment?

This would affect new users, yes.

@Keegan
    Just today I unified all config files for different DE’s we use. It’s here:
    https://github.com/antergos/antergos-desktop

You can check the openbox folder there…

may we can use openbox-menu it is on the Antergos repo, idea was to have the menu autogenerated …

Do you know if just installing this would solve our problem also @karasu? It seems like a simpler method for now…

• Yep, it should read all /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files

But you need a menu.xml file

• @ Keegan
    Now I have got a working sample of your rescue iso.
    It does not seem to be ready yet. There are no menus at all.
    Lxterminal is working. I could open PCManFM and some of the programs. They seem to work too. So the iso could be used already for its purpose.

I have noticed, that some stuff is missing (i.e. an editor) and that there are programs on the iso which you do not use (i.e. 2 different panels, linux-headers, virtualbox-guest-utils). I wonder why you have chosen lxpanel instead of tint2? As result you have got a quite heavy iso (1.1 GB) with only light functionality.

I only know how to make puppy-isos but have no experience with arch-isos. So I cannot help with that.
    But I can help to set up openbox. Please have a look at my tutorial in this forum at ‘Developement’. The packages I suggest are all you need for a fully working openbox environment. More is not neccessary. If you add the rescue tools to that setup you will get a much lighter rescue-iso. And you will get a desktop that does not feel and look limited at all:

0_1504433334649_Screenshot-x033_2017-08-23_16-34-57.png

p.s.: The pipe menu in my setup does not work anymore since yesterday’s upgrades. Use the command ‘openbox-menu lxde-applications.menu’ instead.

• @Xaver said in All New Rescue ISO!:

It does not seem to be ready yet. There are no menus at all.

Yep! That was an unexpected issue to tell you the truth :). However, as you can see, @karasu, @joekamprad, and I are working on that right now!

I have noticed, that some stuff is missing (i.e. an editor) and that there are programs on the iso which you do not use (i.e. 2 different panels, linux-headers, virtualbox-guest-utils). I wonder why you have chosen lxpanel instead of tint2? As result you have got a quite heavy iso (1.1 GB) with only light functionality.

Well, in that case, I shall add an editor right away😀. As for choosing lxpanel, I was unaware of exactly what tint2 was. I have never actually spent time using openbox, so it’s a learning experience for me too ;).

But I can help to set up openbox. Please have a look at my tutorial in this forum at ‘Developement’. The packages I suggest are all you need for a fully working openbox environment. More is not neccessary. If you add the rescue tools to that setup you will get a much lighter rescue-iso. And you will get a desktop that does not feel and look limited at all:

Thank you! I’ve already looked that one over, but was unable to add everything there due to the fact that I cannot install anything from the AUR on my ISO😞. I shall take another look at it though!

• @karasu said in All New Rescue ISO!:

Yep, it should read all /usr/share/applications/*.desktop files
    But you need a menu.xml file

Thanks for the hint!

Needs to be a complete menu.xml or just have to be empty file, or also can be a kinda standard as this from your new https://github.com/antergos/antergos-desktop ?

• @Xaver would be much of help if you can involve to the project!

Needs to be a complete menu.xml or just have to be empty file, or also can be a kinda standard as this from your new https://github.com/antergos/antergos-desktop ?

I just copied the menu.xml file in antergos-desktop/openbox/… to my fork. I think I’m going to try building it again shortly and see how it goes😀.

• @Keegan said in All New Rescue ISO!:

but was unable to add everything there due to the fact that I cannot install anything from the AUR on my ISO

I have not used anything from the AUR for the base system.

@joekamprad said in All New Rescue ISO!:

Needs to be a complete menu.xml or just have to be empty file

Of course you need a complete menu.xml. How should openbox create the menus, if there are no directions. After a fresh install of openbox you wil find the needed files in ‘/etc/xdg/openbox/’. Copy these files to ‘~/.config/openbox/’ in your home folder. Then you can edit menu.xml with obmenu, which is easy and intuitive to do. There is a good menu.xml in the antergos-openbox-setup’ package, which you can use to start with. (I would not install the whole package, because you do not need all its dependencies.)

You can create a pipe-menu (command: ‘openbox-menu lxde-applications-menu’),
    create menus for programs to be run with sudo (command: ‘gksudo gparted’)
    and even create menus for programs to be run in the terminal (commands: ‘lxterminal -e testdisk’ or ‘lxterminal -e sudo -H testdisk’).

I suppose, that the scripts to create the iso will ignore your personal settings. If this is the case copy your edited menu.xml back to ‘/etc/xdg/openbox/’, before you create the iso. Another option would be to copy them to ‘/root/.config/openbox/’. If the manual does not tell it is a matter of try and error.
    (Don’t forget to backup your original files. As long as you are still testing only switch them off by adding ‘_orig’ to the file or folder name. Then you can return to them, if something goes wrong.)

iso83 rescue8 Posts 35Views 3434
Bloom Email Optin Plugin

Looks like your connection to Antergos Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.