• Why Do People Hate On Antergos...

Hey Guys,

I’ve seen on reddit (specifically the arch-linux groups) that everyone somewhat looks down on Antergos. I really didn’t understand why there was so much ‘hate’ around our specific flavor of arch-linux, but thought I’d pose the question why is that the case?

And if it is a concern with some people, why did YOU choose to install Antergos?

Thanks,
    Asif

• The elitism of doing it from scratch and not being productive doing something else. Since everyone follows the same guide to install Arch what is there to learn long term? Rather take the guide everyone follows and automate it.

I7 [email protected]/32GB Ram/3440 x 1440 + 1440p/EVGA 1080 FTW/512GB SSD/2TB HD/Antergos Base w/ Plasma

• @a4orce84 , Keep It Simple Stupid, with lots of love and KISSes. The only concern that might matter is why did you chooce Antergos. Not over Arch alone but over each & any distro out there among the linux ecosystem. :)

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• At first I didn’t also get the hate towards Antergos, but often hate is related to jealousy. So in my opinion this hate is actually a hidden compliment.
    If you look up any distro, there’s an equal amount of hate for each of them, which mostly is generated by hardcore fanboys of a specific distro.
    Now that’s the thing I don’t get: Why create a silent war between distro’s, we’re all using Linux, right?!?
    If you use a distro that suits you, that’s fine, in the end it all comes down to one system that uses the same blueprint and apps; Linux…
    Just spread the love and don’t try to destroy someone else’s (devs from any distro) hard work!

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• Hi,

I won’t say “hate”, as for me is a strong word. But it’s true that at first there was a bit of confusion created by Antergos users asking questions in Arch forum, sometimes hiding that they were using Antergos.

Luckly this has changed and people now comes here for help.

Most of our packages come from Arch, so it’s thanks to them that Antergos exists (we even help them with small donations when we can).

We don’t feel the necessity to repackage everything (like Manjaro, for instance), so we use their fantastic work (and to be honest, we don’t have the manpower to maintain all packages and check possible security issues).

This is an interesting reading (even though it’s a bit old):
    http://allanmcrae.com/2013/10/comparison-of-security-issue-handling/

• I am with @karasu “I won’t say “hate”, as for me is a strong word.”

I would say it is only a philosophical discrepancy, that causes some disturbing on ArchLinux Forum/Groups/Bugtracker e.t.c.

But as i can see here at Antergos, newbies jumping in the cold water, after having the system ready for use, is a good start also.

In the first place newbies figure out to make work what they need, and if they come to a point where they have to go deeper inside, and they are willing to learn, it can be a softlanding to the ArchWay!

And second as it is more easy, faster and more fun to come to this point, Antergos can empower more users to contribute to the ArchLinux ecosystem, especially younger users! (demographic aging, is always a problem when distributions grow older)

On the other hand it is good to build a system on commandline administration, this is a main reason for the stability of the ArchLinux-System.

Antergos is a good shool for Archlinux.

I would wish that some of the elite from ArchLinux would start thinking in this way.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• I like Arch linux in many ways. There is only one thing that I dont like, setting up the system fpr the first time. And that is because I am a bit lazy and there are some others are not so experienced, avoiding doing it from scratch.

Antergos is great in the sense that it makes arch linux available to wide range of users. Antergos provides the bare system with just enough tweaks, including well designed desktop environments of choice.

The most important thing after this, Antergos users have the joy of using their setup just any Arch users would. The same is not true for manjaro since they control most of the packaging releases.

I can undestand it is against their philosophy but that is arch linux and this is antergos. Also, they cant ignore the fact that antergos (and other arch derivatives) really helped with growing community of arch linux. Although pure aech linux users going dowj in number that doesnt make arch linux less awesome.

• @psscnp142 pure ARCH users go down in numbers because many people discover the easy out of the box experience that ARCH derivatives provide.
    Just take a quick look at distrowatch and you’ll notice that Antergos and Manjaro are in the top 5. ARCH derivatives distro’s are even more popular than the most hailed and loved distro’s like Zorin, Elementary and Fedora! If that isn’t a convincing sign for the elitist ARCH users, then I don’t know what will!

Thinkpad E570 Intel core i5 (Kaby lake)
    8 GB RAM
    256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics

• @a4orce84 said in Why Do People Hate On Antergos...:

Hey Guys,

I’ve seen on reddit (specifically the arch-linux groups) that everyone somewhat looks down on Antergos. I really didn’t understand why there was so much ‘hate’ around our specific flavor of arch-linux, but thought I’d pose the question why is that the case?

And if it is a concern with some people, why did YOU choose to install Antergos?

Thanks,
    Asif

Because we’re using ArchLinux without installing it the hard way.

• @nerrollus said in Why Do People Hate On Antergos...:

Because we’re using ArchLinux without installing it the hard way.

Have to agree with you there:smile:. If I had to install the “Arch way” I wouldn’t even be using it right now! As it is, I am able to and am actively contributing to the community through my community ISOs (that, and annoying countless people with all of my questions:smile:).

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• i don’t hate them, but i pity the fool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnKm6ftPu0

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• Arch is advertised as a DIY distro with an emphasis on the CLI. As a rolling release distro, installs should be rare, assuming the end user has a DIY interest. Look how much time and effort the Antergos team puts into Cnchi. The Arch devs would rather spend their time working on other things. This has benefited all of us - we have a great Arch-Antergos community here, all made possible by the Antergos devs (and Arch devs of course) that wanted to create an easier bridge to using Arch.

I have a vanilla Arch install. It took me a couple of tries. I screwed up my mount and partioning commands. Gentoo was more time consuming, but easier, with a more verbose, sensical sequential install guide. I certaintly don’t feel smarter or more Linux knowledgeable afterwards, nor when I’m using vanilla Arch vs Antergos. The importance of a command-line install is overstated if your goal is to use and learn Linux. If you have an interest in learning the inner workings of your system, you will learn over time as issues arise. In fact, this goes for any distro. If not, you’ll get tired and go elsewhere. The Antergos repos are great, Cnchi is a great tool (and am very happy to use it), and we have a great community here.

• @Keegan said

If I had to install the “Arch way” I wouldn’t even be using it right now!

It really isn t that fard. All you have to do is follow the wiki insrtuctions carefully… Anyone being with linux and interesed in its “secrets”, for some time, should have no trouble installing it.
    We tend to be afraid of what we don t know. I, for example, am afraid that I won t be able to create an iso. You did it, though, didn t you? And you ve learned things, through your many mistakes, through studying, through assistance.
    I strongly advice you, because you like learning, digging, screwing things, to take the initiative and try the Arch way. It s really fun.
    And who knows…you may some time find yourself creating an Arch iso in the philosophy of a more vanilla release, compared to Antergos, something like Architect or Arch Anywhere (though I m not sure if the latter keeps a repo of its own, or not). :)

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch said in Why Do People Hate On Antergos...:

It really isn t that hard.

I strongly advice you, because you like learning, digging, screwing things, to take the initiative and try the Arch way. It s really fun.

You’re right, I could probably do it. I would probably even enjoy it too! However, I don’t think I will do that just yet. And while I could now, that was not the case when I first started looking for Arch based distros. I mean, I even had some trouble using Zorin:smile:. Through the kind assistance of @fernandomaroto, I was able to figure out how manually partition my system. (That one took a whole weekend at the time:smile:). Due to his help and kindness, I decided to reciprocate. And thus I began helping others on this Forum in return. Through helping them, I have grown myself - even to the point of producing my own ISOs like you mentioned! In these months I have gone from someone who had no idea what partitions even were, to an Antergos ISO producer:grinning:. As consequence of this short time though, I have huge holes in my “expertise”. I still have to ask the simplest of questions sometimes. I may be advanced in one area of knowledge, but lack it in many others! But time will never completely cure that for anyone. We must learn, relearn, and relearn that. And that journey is one I eagerly anticipate.

• There are no simplest and hardest questions. Nor will you ever become fully competent. Not even if you were Linus Torvalds or Richard Stallman themselves! :) :) :)

And who knows…you may some time find yourself creating an Arch iso in the philosophy of a more vanilla release, compared to Antergos,

No! Then he will stop contributing here… don’t give bad ideas… :laughing:

• @karasu said in Why Do People Hate On Antergos...:

No! Then he will stop contributing here… don’t give bad ideas…

No worries:smile:. I’m not a fan of the “Arch way” anyways! And honestly, where else can I find such a great community with such amazing devs? Most would never take the time to help an upstart like me or go to the lengths to do so like @karasu had done.

• @karasu said

No! Then he will stop contributing here… don’t give bad ideas…

He s much too energetic. He s…multitasking. And besides he s young. He can take much load-actually, I believe he s done some kind of overclocking to himself- (and he seems to be enjoying it! :) :) :)
    Gosh, I m fond of this guy. :)

• Antergos empowers rookies! :man_cartwheeling_tone3:

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

@a4orce84 , Keep It Simple Stupid, with lots of love and KISSes. The only concern that might matter is why did you chooce Antergos. Not over Arch alone but over each & any distro out there among the linux ecosystem. :)

Hit the nail on the head!

I’m doing a final round of testing before I decide between Mint and Antergos on my main PC. So far, I’m leaning towards Antergos because;

1. It’s the first distro that every time I reboot, I can access Windows shares with no problems.

2. It eliminated screen tearing in games/videos. (Probably because of Xorg 1.19+ being used.)

3. Get new software versions relatively quickly. (Sometimes, this might be a bad thing. :)

On the flip side, with Mint, I REALLY like the fact that practically every little utility or program I was looking for had a .deb file for easy installation. With Antergos, I once needed something that wasn’t in any repository (or at least not that I could tell) and somebody put together an Arch version of it but it involved using mkfile? pkgbuild? and yeah… never got it to working and I think I have parts of it scattered across my system now. Being a n00b and all, this will happen.

I also don’t like that in Antergos, I can’t use VLC to watch videos because if I drag the slider to scrub and let go of it, I get garbled video for a few seconds and then it plays. No such problems with MPV. Since it seemed to be a problem with VLC, I posted in their forums but I was asked to check things I have no idea how to so I put that issue on hold for a while.

I didn’t go with plain Arch because I don’t want to have to type all the commands and wait for my PC to compile/download stuff just to get a usable desktop. Even if I lived in a different reality and I needed to do that to get Windows working, I would have passed. Being a n00b, it’s nice to have basic stuff spoon fed to me, like a workable desktop out of the box. :)

hate2 antergos7 Posts 27Views 1019