• Plasmashell crash

Guys, since I am using my new laptop, I sometines have strange plasmashell crashes. The effects stop working after the plasmashell restarts itself and the only way to get them back is a system restart. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?
    J.

• @Jeannie____ , I, too, am experiencing such random crashes, as I have reported on another user s question. My hardware is not new, a 2008 Dell Latitude.
    What I have noticed, is that after restart there are updates in the pamac notifier. So, when I m getting updates often the crashes happen more often. When not so often, then I don t get so many crashes. On the rare occasion there are no updates in the day, I don t have crashes. Can you check it as well? Maybe I should have uninstall pamac and see for myself.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I don’t have pamac installed. The crashes usually occur when I start applications that put some load on the Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU, haven’t noticed that they are related to pending updates
    J.

• Not sure, but have you tied to change the Compositor settings? Try the different scale methods and Rendering settings. I am using Smooth for scaling and OpenGL3.1 without problem. If OGL3.1 gives you problems try to go back to 2.0.

Never to old to learn.

• I doubt that using OpenGL 3.1 would cause problems for my GTX 1060 GPU.
    J.

• I can see that newer nvidia cards, or the driver itself have some problems (or more and more …) for me i need to set nvidia-card to: allow flipping inside Open-GL setting (nvidia-settings) and autoload this at login:

nvidia-settings --config ~/.nvidia-settings-rc --load-config-only

With this enabled i have no crashes caused by opengl, and a very very good smooth behavior!

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @Jeannie____ , are you describing what happens when the panel Segfaults? If so, that seems to be a recent re-occurrence of an old (very) Plasma problem. It is also happening on my Intel-only machine and may be as simple as a bug-reversion in the KDE code itself, an Arch kernel problem, machine-architecture specific…you know the drill.

What I haven’t done is look for an associated bug report.

BTW, the tip about switching the compositor to OpenGL 3.1 is a good overall performance tip.

regards

• @c00ter
    I don’t know if the panel segfaults, as I usually don’t run my de in a terminal. What happens is the following: I start something like supertuxkart , the I get a message that the effects were reset dur to a reset. From that moment on, the efects stop working, the clock in the panel is standing still, I can’t click on anything in the panel and I need to restart my system to get a working de back.
    J.

plasmashell1 crash19 Posts 8Views 207