• Issues after recent updates

Apologies for posting in the wrong spot, but I was not sure which would be the best subforum.
    Apologies for the long post.

I have loved my Arch / Antergos experience since Feb 2016 and would much prefer not to have to move away.

On about Aug 18, 2017, I followed my routine weekly package updates using sudo pacman -Syu. After restarting, I end up with just a blank black screen with my mouse that can move around. I tried choosing Antergos LTS from the menu that pops up on booting, but with the same result.

I tried to use my liveusb to use chroot to investigate or fix things as some guides online suggested. However, I received the following errors.

$ sudo arch-chroot /mnt
    mount: mount point /mnt/proc does not exist
    ==> ERROR: filed to setup chroot /mnt

$ sudo arch-chroot /mnt/arch
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /mnt/arch

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda0
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda0

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda1
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda1

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda2
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda2

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda3
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda3

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda4
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda4

$ sudo arch-chroot /dev/sda5
    ==> ERROR: Can't create chroot on non-directory /dev/sda5

I tried to just reinstall Antergos. I tried to reinstall offline first. However, Cnchi needed internet access. When I connected to the internet, it checked for updates automatically for cnchi itself. It closed itself after a minute-ish. Usually it would lead to the same black screen with the mouse as mentioned before. Sometimes it would then open itself again, but as the same version (0.14.194) despite being ~a year old). In trying to get some sort of error message typed here, I am trying to install it again. This time I get the following error after the phase when I select my username, machine name, password, etc. Once it reaches about 33% complete, cnchi pops up an error saying:

'Cannot create download package list (metalinks).'
    Please reference the following number when reporting this error: 32475

Reading other posts in this forum, it seems the issue due to needing to update the mirror lists with the following.

sudo pacman -S pacman-mirrorlist antergos-mirrorlist

However, that raised a conflict between antergos-alerts and antergos-repo-priority. Looking around this forum, it seems that there was a move by the developers and I should accept the alerts package. Continuing on, pacman brings up the error that the signature from antergos build server is marginal trust and that /var/cache/pacman/pkg/anstergos-alerts-17.7.23-1-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted as well as antergos-mirrorlist-20170524-2-any.pkg.tar.xz. I was able to upgrade the arch mirrorlist and refresh the keys, but when I try to update the antergos-mirrorlist it raises the latter issue again even if I choose yes to delete it, it asks again if I run it again.

I know I was using an old liveusb. I tried using the latest liveusb but that would either result in the black screen with the mouse or cnchi closing itself after connecting to the internet and then not reopening from the left-panel or from the command line.

Again, apologies for the long post. Please advise.

• A BLACK SCREEN ALMOST NEVER MEANS, THAT THE SYSTEM IS TOTALLY BROKEN!

But now you have only a half installed system, and you need to do a full new installation.
    What are your system specs here? graphiccard PC/Notebook dualboot with windows/MACOS e.t.c.

But afaik ISO from FEB 2016 will do some problems, you can try also the actual minimal ISO.

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• It is an older laptop from 2008.

Toshiba Satellite U405D - S2874
    AMD Turion X2 64bit RM-72
    ATI Radeon Graphics 3100 (Integrated)
    2 GB RAM
    Atheros AR9281 Wireless Adapter
    250 GB HDD

At first, I tried the newest ISO, but cnchi would close itself after I connected to the internet and not come back even after waiting 10 minutes. Nothing would seem to happen if I try to restart cnchi either.

I am not dual-booting. I am have just Antergos on the laptop.

• @purpleflame said in Issues after recent updates:

At first, I tried the newest ISO, but cnchi would close itself after I connected to the internet

Have you tried the Try Antergos option? Are you able to enter a session?
    Have you checked the iso integrity?
    You might have a foulty iso and need to rewrite it.

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• I am using the same iso I used to install Antergos in the first place. Can a usb get corrupted just sitting on my shelf for ~ a year?

I used Rufus as instructed by Antergos. I only have another windows machine to write the iso or check it. How would I check my usb with my windows machine?

I saw the Try Antergos option, but thought that it would be the same as using the live iso I already was when I booted from the live usb.

Let me know how to check the iso. I will try that and the Try Antergos option after I get back home from work.

• Windows Checksum tool: http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @purpleflame said

I am using the same iso I used to install Antergos in the first place. Can a usb get corrupted just sitting on my shelf for ~ a year?

Besides the above , I was actually reffering to the newest iso you said you tried, not the one-year-old.
    Because of the rolling nature o Antergos old isos are not recomended and yours is way too old.
    Cheers

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• B.T.W: @purpleflame said in Issues after recent updates:

I tried to use my liveusb to use chroot to investigate or fix things as some guides online suggested. However, I received the following errors.

Chrooting goes this way:

Boot up with our LiveIso.

You need to know which device is the right one check with sudo fdisk -l

sudo su
    (/dev/sdXn should be replaced with the right device information)
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt >> / root partition
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot >>> /boot partition
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot/efi >>>>> the EFI-boot (fat) partition if you are on EFI-BIOS System
    arch-chroot /mnt

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Hi there!

I have personally found that after using the same ISO on a flash drive multiple times, things can begin to go wrong with it for some reason. It might be a good idea to try and re burn it to your flash. Don’t know if this will help at all, but thought I’d put my two cents in:grinning:.

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• I tried using the latest liveusb but that would either result in the black screen

As far as the black screen issue goes here, I have heard from other threads on the Forum lately that the minimal ISO often works without presenting that black screen like the usual ISO does. Perhaps you might have better luck with that one?

Keep trying, never give up. In the end, you will find that it was all worth it

Community ISO: https://antergoscommunityeditions.wordpress.com
    Linux Basics: https://linuxbasicssite.wordpress.com

• Ok, it might be long :( , but updates! :D

@joekamprad said in Issues after recent updates:

Chrooting goes this way:

Boot up with our LiveIso.

You need to know which device is the right one check with sudo fdisk -l

sudo su
    (/dev/sdXn should be replaced with the right device information)
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt >> / root partition
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot >>> /boot partition
    mount /dev/sdXn /mnt/boot/efi >>>>> the EFI-boot (fat) partition if you are on EFI-BIOS System
    arch-chroot /mnt

I tried this sequence. The second the last command did not work. It said that that mount point does not exist. Maybe I do not have a EFI-BIOS System? I am guessing that is the new type of BIOS. Maybe my laptop is old enough to have the old regular type of BIOS. Either way, the rest seemed to work and when I ran the last command, it seems to have made a sub-terminal with root access to my old filesystem! I could cd all over my old system. That was fun! Though no I am not sure if reinstalling is the best course anymore … :/

@joekamprad said in Issues after recent updates:

Windows Checksum tool: http://corz.org/windows/software/checksum/

I was able to use this software to get some MD5 checksums. I am not sure how to check the usb itself, but I checked the iso files I downloaded with the results below.

v17.8: Regular matches what is given on the download page: 1383e66b57701718e8cf3258a3e95fd6
    v17.8: Minimal matches what is given on the download page: 5979544530ce9dc67301badb1016bd81
    v16.5: I cannot see what to compare it against, but it came out as: 8ae8955df0faad0d6a09fd6aecb145c2

@Keegan said in Issues after recent updates:

As far as the black screen issue goes here, I have heard from other threads on the Forum lately that the minimal ISO often works without presenting that black screen like the usual ISO does. Perhaps you might have better luck with that one?

First, I was able to use both the regular iso to boot and load into the live usb tonight. However, I get the following screen along the way.

SYSLINUX 4.07 EDD 2013-07-25 Copyright (C) 1994-2013 H.Peter Anvin et al

Welcome to Antergos !

to start the system input 'start' and press <Enter>

Available boot options:
    harddisk	        - Boot from Hard Disk
    start                   - Start Antergos Live System
    multi                   - Non-Graphical Boot
    gfx.c32: not a COM32R image
    boot: _

I am not sure what the above “error” is about. Typing start and <enter> lead to some text flashing by and then loading into Antergos’s default gnome shell look with cnchi ready and awaiting an internet connection for updates. The “Try Antergos” option just closed cnchi and let me explore the already running session. Clicking on the cnchi icon did not load up cnchi again. Running cnchi from the terminal allowed cnchi to load and run, but it kept printing out errors and/or warnings in the underlying terminal though cnchi seemed to function fine. The same thing happened once when I ran nautilus from the command line a few months back, but nautilus worked perfectly the whole time.

For the minimal iso, that worked out less well. I ended up with the following screen.

[   1.243340] psi 0000:00:05.0: ASPM: Could not configure common clock
    [   1.263526] irq 9: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
    [   1.263651] handlers:
    [   1.263692] [<ffffffff9c3c9ed0>] acpi_irq
    [   1.263733] Disabling IRQ #9
    [  15.103353] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    [  20.220025] usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110
    [  21.497708] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
    [  21.497869] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
    [  22.660481] SQUASHFS error: xz decompresion failed, data probably corrupt
    [  22.660674] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_rad_data failed to read block 0x236a4326
    [  22.660871] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read metadata cache entry [236a4326]
    [  22.661038] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read directory block [236a4326:122f]
    ERROR: Root device mounted successfully, but /sbin/init does not exist.
    Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

sh: cannot access tty; job control turned off
    [rootfs ]# _

That message at the end gave me a chuckle. :laughing: Then the computer would just turn itself off after a minute-ish. I had to restart three times to capture the whole message. Though the times listed changed each time. So did ata1 switch with ata3. Interestingly, even the regular iso shows the same errors at the small times above but still loads the default gnome shell session, but the minimal iso has these extra issues too. I am not sure what is up with this issue.

tl;dr: :/
    Like I said, since I could use arch-chroot to be able to cruise around my old filesystem, I am not sure if a complete reinstall is the proper action anymore.

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -110

Looks like usb-drive is damaged hardware sided…

And i would prefere etcher over rufus to flash the usb, because rufus have a lot of options what can mess up the installer…

https://etcher.io/

Ones you can boot with a proper USB-ISO show us the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

Then i can guide you to the process, to may reanimate your old installation.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• @joekamprad said in Issues after recent updates:

Looks like usb-drive is damaged hardware sided…

And i would prefere etcher over rufus to flash the usb, because rufus have a lot of options what can mess up the installer…

https://etcher.io/

Ones you can boot with a proper USB-ISO show us the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

Then i can guide you to the process, to may reanimate your old installation.

I used the etcher.io program. It wrote the regular and minimal isos in less time than rufus used to write the minimal iso before. :laughing:

I booted with the regular usb. This time, instead of the com32 error, there came up a white screen that lets me choose to boot from the hard disk, usb, or a third option. It still went through the irq and ata error, but not the usb error or the others I said before.

The output of sudo fdisk -l is below.

[[email protected] ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/loop0: 1.7 GiB, 1826148352 bytes, 3566696 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk /dev/sda: 232.9 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x53f1b1fb

Device     Boot     Start       End   Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1  *         2048    524287    522240  255M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2          524288 480813055 480288768  229G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3       480813056 488397167   7584112  3.6G  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/sda5       480815104 488397167   7582064  3.6G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 1.9 GiB, 2003828224 bytes, 3913727 sectors
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x1fe60410

Device     Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
    /dev/sdb1  *        0 3793663 3793664  1.8G  0 Empty
    /dev/sdb2         224  131295  131072   64M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
    [[email protected] ~]$ _

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 524287 522240 255M 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 524288 480813055 480288768 229G 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 480813056 488397167 7584112 3.6G f W95 Ext’d (LBA)
    /dev/sda5 480815104 488397167 7582064 3.6G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

So:
    /dev/sda2 is your root filesystem /
    /dev/sda1 is /boot
    /dev/sda3 is efi

chroot will be this:

sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt 
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot/efi
    arch-chroot /mnt

now you are as root inside your defect Antergos installation and firs you can try to update this:

pacman -Syu

lets see if this brings some errors.

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

So:
    /dev/sda2 is your root filesystem /
    /dev/sda1 is /boot
    /dev/sda3 is efi

chroot will be this:

sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt 
    mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot/efi
    arch-chroot /mnt

now you are as root inside your defect Antergos installation and firs you can try to update this:

pacman -Syu

lets see if this brings some errors.

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot/efi gave an error saying that /mnt/boot/efi is not a mount point.

Looks like I was able to chroot anyway since I got no errors on the arch-chroot command.
    I ran pacman -Syu which had lots of stuff go by including some lines containing ‘WARNING’. It was able to finish. I was able to update the arch and antergos mirrorlists. I was able to refresh keys.

I tried booting without the live usb plugged in. The result was a black screen without a mouse nor cursor.

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/boot/efi gave an error saying that /mnt/boot/efi is not a mount point.

so no EFI then…

To get away the black screen we need that you provide the boot logs:

best would be this:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

it will give out a URL that you can post here (we need this from the terminal where you are chrooted into your system …

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

To get away the black screen we need that you provide the boot logs:

best would be this:

lspci > log.txt && lsusb >> log.txt && dmesg >> log.txt && cat log.txt | curl -F [email protected] https://ptpb.pw/?u=1

it will give out a URL that you can post here (we need this from the terminal where you are chrooted into your system …

It gave me this URL.
    https://ptpb.pw/B-Rf

By the way, I get what most of that command does. It takes the output of those log programs and puts them into log.txt. But what happens after the |?

• It put the logs as a pastebin and give the url for it…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

• Log does not looks like from inside chroot…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3 GNOME

Log does not looks like from inside chroot…

I used the chroot process you mentioned above. Once acting as root on my laptop’s file system, I got the logs like you said. I am not sure what I did wrong.

sudo su
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt 
    arch-chroot /mnt

updates38 issues51 Posts 52Views 2334