• My first rolling distro: preparing for what might break

I installed Antergos on a test SSD, like it a lot and may make it my daily driver. But I’ve never depended on a rolling distro before, and am interested in general feedback on what might break.

My first thought: the Nvidia video driver. I selected the proprietary Nvidia driver on install, and think this blacklists the nouveau driver. Is the installed Nvidia driver likely to survive a kernel upgrade, or should I be prepared to boot into console to install a driver downloaded from the Nvidia web site?

Do other problems frequently crop up with the Arch rolling distro?

I could wait to troubleshoot a problem after it happens, but might not have time then. I thought I’d see what I can find out now.

• update regularly (once a week) and have a look to do not tinker to much on a system that you need as a daily driver, use a “Sandbox” if you want to tinker (Virtualbox e.t.c.)
    Read the news: here at the Forum and at Arch: https://www.archlinux.org/news/

And start like to use the terminal, it is a peacemaker!

For nvidia driver i do not see any problem if you do the initial installation right, no need to use the files directly from nvidia!

We have this little tool to do the job:

nvidia-installer from @karasu
    install it with pamac or from terminal with:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-installer

then test it on detecting your Card:

nvidia-installer -t

if you do not get any error run it to install and configure the system for nvidia driver:

sudo nvidia-installer

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• If you installed it with steam enabled and Nvidia you dont have to do anything.

I’ve never experienced issues with kernel-updates and nvidia.

Things that break for me is usually vmware (Kernel module, and / or GCC). There’s usually already a fix when I discover it. Sometimes i have smaller issues with software that I use through AUR, but thats also usually fixed very fast.

I was an ubuntu user until last summer, let me tell you the horrors of all the PPA’s and tinkering you need to run the latest software (Not 1 year old+) is a thing of the past. On a commercial platform I still use Ubuntu but for home and friends, Antergos is the best distro out there at the moment. (I believe).

My servers like “plex and couch etc” i run in ubuntu containers. If you dont know about containers check out:
    https://anotherlinux.com/index.php/2017/06/03/linux-containers/

I would strongly suggest you use Xorg and not wayland! If you have mouse trouble (laptop) look at my post here:

@izznogooood said in [Solved] 2 fingers tap not working (Gnome) Dell XPS 13 (9360):

Install and use GDM. (or not)

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl enable gdm
    #reboot

Select Xorg session instead of wayland at the login screen.

add:

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "touchpad catchall"
            Driver "synaptics"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"

#add these lines

Option "TapButton1" "1"
            Option "TapButton2" "3"
            Option "TapButton3" "2"
    	Option      "VertScrollDelta"          "-111"
    	Option      "HorizScrollDelta"         "-111"

to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf

This also enables threefinger tap if your touchpad supports it. Genius for pasting etc…

I dont like the feel of xf86-libinput (at all!)

Finally, use the forum actively, there’s a lot of information and helpful souls here!

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• @roller said in My first rolling distro: preparing for what might break:

I selected the proprietary Nvidia driver on install

Ups i do not read it right here… you have truely nothing to do then and nvidia drivers will be updated with new kernels …

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Thanks for the feedback, Joe and izznogooood !

break2 distro7 rolling2 preparing1 Posts 5Views 164