• Change font of main Antergos GUI (top bar and dialog boxes)?

I’ve successfully changed the font for the windows of running programs using Tweak Tool (http://i.imgur.com/9qwFipl.png), but the default font is still stuck in the top bar and dialog popups.

http://i.imgur.com/pb4DT12.png
    http://i.imgur.com/ZY2gCzp.png

I haven’t found a single option to change these in the general Antergos Settings.

How do I change this font?

bababooey

• Gnome Shell Fonts

You’re talking aboth Gnome Shell theme’s font. There’s no an easy-to-use tool to change it. Not only in Antergos but also in no other distro with Gnome 3. The font and font’s sizes are hard-coded inside the theme’s cascading style sheet (CSS) file.

The only way to change shell’s font and sizes for various shell GUI elements is to edit CSS file by hand. And restart the shell after that.

You should know where to find a Gnome Shell theme and CSS file. The theme is found in the gnome-shell subfolder of the main theme’s folder. The CSS file is found in the gnome-shell subfolder. If there’s no gnome-shell subfolder in the main theme’s folder, it means that a theme doesn’t have a Gnome Shell theme.

A few examples.

Numix-Frost main theme.

Its main folder is /usr/share/themes/Numix-Frost. It has the …/gnome-shell subfolder. There’s the CSS file here. It’s the Gnome Shell theme, with the name Numix-Frost.

Numix-Frost-Light main theme.

Its main folder is /usr/share/themes/Numix-Frost-Light. It doesn’t have the …/gnome-shell subfolder. It means that Numix-Frost-Light main theme doesn’t have Gnome Shell theme.

I use a Gnome Shell theme named RAVE-X-Colors-Light.

Its main folder in mine file system is /1st/art/just-gtk3/Rave-X-Colors-Themes/RAVE-X-Colors-Light. The main folder contains the …/gnome-shell subfolder. It’s the Gnome Shell theme, with the name RAVE-X-Colors-Light.

There should be only one CSS file in a gnome-shell subfolder, with the fixed name. The fixed name is

gnome-shell.css

Gnome 3 looks only for this file. Eventually present other files, which end up with .css qualifier but aren’t named gnome-shell are ignored by Gnome 3. For example, my-gnome-shell.css, gnome-shell-old.css and gnome-shell-new.css will all be ignored.

The font and its base size, used in a Gnome Shell theme, is found near the top of a gnome-shell.css file. Look for font-family and font-size tags. Numix-Frost uses Open Sans font 10pt in size by default.

For Numix Frost they are:

/* default text style */
    stage {
    	font-family: Open Sans;
    	font-size: 10pt;
    	color: white;
    }

I edited RAVE-X-Colors-Light some time ago and use it everywhere now. The font and the base size were changed to:

/* default text style */
    stage {
    /*-------just modded 2012.02.20
    	font-family: droidsans, sans-serif;
    	font-size: 10pt;
    ------------------*/
    	font-family: Roboto Condensed, Liberation Sans Narrow;
    	font-size: 16pt;
    }

As you can see, in RAVE-X-Colors-Light I’ve changed the default droidsans and sans-serif fonts to Roboto Condensed and Liberation Sans Narrow. I’ve also enlarged the default 10pt font size, which I can’t read with my old eyes, to a larger 16pt size. Though even this one I can read only with looking glasses.

You can do the same with a Gnome Shell theme which you use. Remember to restart Gnome Shell for changes to take effect.

A CSS file may or may not contain other GUI elements with fixed font sizes. Their presence is up to a theme’s author. Just search for font-size tag inside the file, and change default size to your taste.

For example, here I change the dash font size from 9pt to 15pt:

#dash {
    /*-------just modded
    	font-size:  9pt;
    ------------------*/
    	font-size: 15pt;
    	padding: 4px 0px;
    	background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.1);
    	box-shadow: inset 0 0 3px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
    	border: 1px solid rgba(255,255,255,0.05);
    	border-left: 0px;
    	border-radius: 0px 6px 6px 0px;
    }

Here I change a label’s font size:

.no-frequent-applications-label {
    /*-------just modded
    	font-size: 18pt;
    ------------------*/
    	font-size: 24pt;
    	color: #999999;
    }

Notifications font size:

.notification, #notification-container {
    /*-------just modded
    	font-size: 11pt;
    ------------------*/
    	font-size: 17pt;
    	width: 34em;
    }

Most CSS files measure font sizes in pt, em and px. Pay attention to modify only values, expressed in pt (points). Do not modify, leave unchanged the values, measured in em and px.

Save the CSS file. Restart the Shell. Done.

• Very in-depth. Thank you!

bababooey

font19 top10 main3 gui10 Posts 3Views 190