• Login impossible

Just installed Antergos (very straightforward) but when I reboot I get this message

An error detected in the current theme that could interfere with the system login process…
    Followed by the 3 options : Load default theme; Load fallback theme; Cancel.

Choosing any of these has no effect at all so I am unable to look at any aspect of the system. I have read previous posts re this error but all were able to proceed with one of the three options.

This is my first time using a rolling release Linux OS and was quite impressed until this problem occurred. Any suggestions, please.

jjd

• @jjd Hi friend!
    The procedure you tried should have done the trick for you :(
    So i’d recommend you to (when you get the error):

• press Ctrl+Alt+F2
    • type your user and password
    • type sudo pacman -S sddm
    • type sudo systemctl -f enable sddm
      reboot

*this procedure will change your login display with another, see if this works for you.

Antergos (default OS) - WIN10 (abandoned)
    I3wm - Mate desktop
    AMD - A4 7300 Radeon graphics
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB
    Linux newbie since 06/2016

• @fernandomaroto said

press Ctrl+Alt+F2
    type your user and password
    type sudo pacman -S sddm
    type sudo systemctl -f enable sddm
    reboot

Without disabling lightDM first?
    Also, I guess he has installed Gnome DE. So, why sddm and not the native gdm?

1.Antergos Linux KDE plasma / Gnome 2.Ubuntu 17.10 64bit Unity
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500
    Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics [8086:2a42] {i915

• @jjd said in Login impossible:

An error detected in the current theme that could interfere with the system login process…
    Choosing any of these has no effect at all so I am unable to look at any aspect of the system.

question here is why does this happen?
    I do 3 installations today without that issue.

And as @anarch say it should be GDM if DE is Gnome, what the straight forward installation would be mostly…

sudo pacman -S gdm
    sudo systemctl disable lightdm
    sudo systemctl -f enable gdm
    sudo systemctl reboot

[updates once a week] = [90% less problems]
    [Li{u}n//u//{i}x] since 1988 - overcoming failure means success
    howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @joekamprad

Choosing any of these has no effect at all so I am unable to look at any aspect of the system.

question here is why does this happen?
    I do 3 installations today without that issue.

I, too, wish I knew. In my secondary laptop with Gnome+KDE this has been the case for the last 2-3 months. But I have no problem logging in.
    On my primary (KDE only) I have no problem with lighDM at all. It works better than sddm (with sddm there is a problem with the conky readings).

Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8400 2.26GHz‖ RAM 3908 MiB ‖ Dell Inc. 0F328M - Dell Inc. Latitude E6500

• @anarch said in Login impossible:

Without disabling lightDM first?

if you use -f option in sudo systemctl -f enable will disable the actual DM automatically.
    I made some installs about 7 days ago, all get that login error but work after click Load default theme; Load fallback theme; Cancel
    I must add that the errors happened using the minimum iso, perhaps has something different from the “full” iso.
    I’m not sure which DE he’s using nor the iso version he tested.
    Ok, if he’s using Gnome he should install GDM, i posted the commands to discover if that will solve the problem.

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• @fernandomaroto said in Login impossible:

I made some installs about 7 days ago, all get that login error but work after click Load default theme; Load fallback theme; Cancel
    I must add that the errors happened using the minimum iso, perhaps has something different from the “full” iso.

@developers here then for investigations to the minimal ISO ;)

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• @fernandomaroto said in Login impossible:

if you use -f option in sudo systemctl -f enable will disable the actual DM automatically.

I do not know about this! I put it on my list!

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• Many thanks to all for the prompt responses. RE-booted today and all works fine - so I am somewhat bewildered.
    However, to avoid unnecessary posts I will class this as solved and cross my fingers! Should there be a recurrence I will refer to these posts for guidance.
    Again thanks to all who responded.

jjd

• @joekamprad said

I do not know about this! I put it on my list!

Me, neither. That s why I asked if there was a need to disable lightDM first. Good to know, thanks @fernandomaroto .

By the way as to…

@fernandomaroto said

mine is a 2-year-old installation. Not via the minimal iso. I keep having this issue over the last 2-3 months, though.
    Cheers

• This one is caused by a problem with accountservice:
    https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7742/hiding-system-users-in-lightdm-log-in/4

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

• not sure how hard is to fix this error, but i guess it gives a bad impression to (new) users; errors right at login screen. Seems good to me that developers consider it a priority in the “fix bug’s line”)

I3wm - Mate desktop
    16 GB ram
    HD 1 TB

• if i edit my users account profile:
    in

/var/lib/AccountsService/users/killajoe

to

SystemAccount=true

webkit2 greeter fails and give that error, but also do not load the Antergos theme at all… it falls back to lightdm default greeter…

howto-install-antergos
    how to add system logs
    i3-wm#gnome-shell

impossible9 login72 Posts 13Views 241