• Steam Multilib Issues

Hi all,

I’m having an issue with “Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libc.so.6” when running Steam.

I have gone through the relevant sections of the Arch Steam Installation and Troubleshooting wikis, as well as a bit of other faffing. From what I can see the packages are there and installed in /usr/lib32, but the problem lies in the linking.

Examining the steam executable in ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32 has shown some odd things.

file steam

returns:

steam: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, BuildID[sha1]=63f8ea4d3536d0ba5abd1b0c2e215b860032e000, not stripped

while

ldd steam

returns:

/usr/bin/ldd: line 117: ./steam: No such file or directory

As far as I’m aware (and can achieve on another of my Antergos systems), that command should return something like this:

linux-gate.so.1 (0xf7765000)
    	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf75da000)
    	librt.so.1 => /usr/lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf75d1000)
    	libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf75cc000)
    	libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7448000)
    	libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf742a000)
    	libm.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf73ce000)
    	libc.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf720f000)
    	libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf71e4000)
    	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7767000)
    	libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf71c8000)
    	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf71c4000)
    	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf71bb000)

I did notice that in the return of the file command there is a pointer to /lib/ld-linux.so.2, however on this install /lib does not contain anything but a few directories, certainly no actual libraries. Is this an issue with a missing symlink? I’m reluctant to start sporadically symlink system directories so I figured I would ask first.

As far as I can see the dynamic linking isn’t properly pointing Steam to the installed 32-bit libraries.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

• You failed to post the crucial thing. What actually happens when you try to start steam? From a terminal …

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• Yes, of course!

[email protected] ~> steam
    /home/tom/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 154: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
    Running Steam on antergos  64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
    libc.so.6
    /home/tom/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 712: /home/tom/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam: No such file or directory
    /home/tom/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 444: no match: ssfn

• Seems like you need to install lib32-glibc. I get the same error when this package is not installed.

Edit: Also make sure your system is up-to-date. sudo pacman -Syyu

• Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m getting the same behaviour after lib32-glibc install/reinstall and a full system update.

I’ve also tried out disabling the multilib repo, uninstalling the packages and then re-enabling it and reinstalling them, to no avail.

• @atompm said in Steam Multilib Issues:

Error: You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run

Hm strange, how do you install steam? I am trying to replicate this in a vm but have no issues…

(You are running an xorg session right? Not wayland?)

This might point you in the ringt way: https://askubuntu.com/questions/260813/trying-to-install-steam-error-you-are-missing-the-following-32-bit-libraries-a

I make things work…
    My humble wiki: https://anotherlinux.com/

• Nevermind. I took the nuclear option in the end and just did a clean Antergos install, something about that last install just broke multilib completely.

Thanks for your help regardless.

multilib1 steam55 issues51 Posts 7Views 303